What sort of person is susceptible to the god delusion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2017, 10:07 PM
RE: What sort of person is susceptible to the god delusion?
(03-04-2017 10:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 09:00 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I'm a lot less worried about what people think in their heads than I am about how those thoughts affect them mentally, socially and developmentally. Thinking Jesus is real doesn't negatively impact someone's life. Being unable to function in normative society is the real problem.

I disagree, it impacts mine and everyone else’s. It impacts real world decision-making.

I’ll use one example, environmental issues. Because thinking that their time on earth is but a pit-stop on our way to heaven those people end up treating the planet with incredible short-sightedness. Jeebus is going to rapture me and make all this a moot point changes how they interact with the world and others.

I am a theist. I believe in G-d, as you're well aware. Yet my religion teaches its followers to heal the world. We're taught to live in the here and now and not spend time dwelling on the idea of an afterlife.

Do I need to be cured?

Meh. Maybe it's better if you don't answer that. I might not like the response. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
04-04-2017, 03:59 AM
Oh dear... I'm sorry now I ever suggested that 61% of a population doesn't count as "most" of it... Rolleyes

It's certainly stirred up the grammar pedants!

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-04-2017, 04:06 AM
(03-04-2017 10:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I am a theist. I believe in G-d, as you're well aware...

I'm guessing you've already been asked this somewhere, but why specifically do you refer to your particular deity as G-d with the upper case G and the dash? I've not seen this before.

I can only suppose that this is driven by fear of disrespecting him/her? And if you do, then you're afraid of his/her retribution? Huh

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-04-2017, 05:32 AM
I feel like it's to do with the ability and desire to uniformly apply scepticism/critical thinking. If you lack either, and you're surrounded by believers, you'll probably become one.

I'm always interested in what would have happened if I was indoctrinated into religion. I feel like I'd probably have found my way out, but I'm sure that hard enough indoctrination could break anyone.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
04-04-2017, 05:52 AM
(04-04-2017 04:06 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 10:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I am a theist. I believe in G-d, as you're well aware...

I'm guessing you've already been asked this somewhere, but why specifically do you refer to your particular deity as G-d with the upper case G and the dash? I've not seen this before.

I can only suppose that this is driven by fear of disrespecting him/her? And if you do, then you're afraid of his/her retribution? Huh

Interesting conclusion: fear of retribution.

God, god, GOD, motherfucking god.

I'm not afraid of retribution. It's done out of habit. Cultural tendency.
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
04-04-2017, 06:08 AM
(03-04-2017 08:18 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Fortunately for you then, since you like your god belief, you were susceptible to your mom and community's influence. Enjoy.

We all are, those influence can be positive or negative. In fact there's likely to be very few people, as significant in shaping who you are, your sense of self, than your parents, siblings, etc....

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
04-04-2017, 06:17 AM
(03-04-2017 03:46 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm not sure where you drew this factoid from? In Australia at our last Federal Census in 2011, 31.7% of the population described themselves as "atheist" or "no religion". Only 61.1% described themselves as "Christian".

I also disagree with your claim that "most" people are susceptible to religious belief; less are in increasing numbers, as religion loses its hold on a scientifically-enlightened 21st-century population. In the same Census, there was an increase of 1,100,725 respondents describing themselves as "atheist"—out of a population of 23 million.

I'm not sure why atheists always want to conflate non-religious and atheists. Self-identifying atheist makeup about 10% of the Australian populations. The nones, predominately tend to believe in a God of some sort, even though they don't identify with any particular religion.

So in reality, in consideration of the trends here, about 90% of Australians believe in a God of some-sort, are victims of the God delusion, 10% seems to have been able to be cured or remain uninfected.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-04-2017, 06:41 AM
(03-04-2017 08:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 08:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  To be fair you changed “moderate beliefs” to “moderate religious values” not that if you interchanged them it would substantially change your question, or would it? Consider

I didn't notice the slip. To me religious values and beliefs are pretty much the same thing, but that may be because I'm from an action based religion, not a faith or belief based religion. I don't think it changes the question, though. Even if someone was raised to believe in Jesus, does that automatically mean that they need to be cured? Adding to that, the question is about someone from a well adjusted home.

What exactly is there to cure?

How well adjusted are they if they teach a child that myth is fact?
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post
04-04-2017, 06:56 AM
I think different people will be susceptible to different beliefs.

A jihadist and an evangelist both believe in god, but the mental and physical manifestations of those beliefs are vastly different.

I would also caution reliance on statistics. Statistical data must be weighed, verified and considered. Relevance, accuracy and bias must be taken into account, as well as the purpose for which the statistics are being used.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
04-04-2017, 06:59 AM
(04-04-2017 06:41 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 08:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I didn't notice the slip. To me religious values and beliefs are pretty much the same thing, but that may be because I'm from an action based religion, not a faith or belief based religion. I don't think it changes the question, though. Even if someone was raised to believe in Jesus, does that automatically mean that they need to be cured? Adding to that, the question is about someone from a well adjusted home.

What exactly is there to cure?

How well adjusted are they if they teach a child that myth is fact?

Who said they did? The OP only says unless someone intervenes, we're all basically moderate in our beliefs and our beliefs don't generally run afoul of well established science. Being moderate people, maybe the religious parents leave the matter of biblical conflicts opened ended, like, "The bible says, ABC and science says XYZ, what do you think happened?" or "We can see that the two don't match up, so maybe the bible is telling us a parable. What do you think the moral of the story is?"