What special tricks can you do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2014, 12:15 AM
RE: What special tricks can you do?
I have an anti-talent: Compared to other people, it takes Me at least three times as long to learn dance steps, martial arts katas, or other things that require mind and body to work together. I call this "dance dyslexia." (I've also managed to spill the same glass of water three times at the same meal.)

On the plus side, I have an uncanny capacity for handling alphanumeric and musical data -- If I use the information a few times, it goes to permanent storage and can be retrieved instantly decades later. I'm only so-so at recognizing faces, but great at remembering how someone's name is spelled. And if you ever need someone for a Name That Tune competition, I come equipped with a built-in music library.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
01-02-2014, 12:22 AM
The crow is a lot harder than it looks, and I give applause. ^_^

I am EXCEPTIONALLY awesome at reading body language. I can tell the most random things about people just by the inflections in their voices, what direction they look when they say something, etc. I'm not even doing it on purpose, it's just the way I am.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
01-02-2014, 01:23 AM
(01-02-2014 12:15 AM)Astreja Wrote:  I have an anti-talent: Compared to other people, it takes Me at least three times as long to learn dance steps, martial arts katas, or other things that require mind and body to work together. I call this "dance dyslexia." (I've also managed to spill the same glass of water three times at the same meal.)

On the plus side, I have an uncanny capacity for handling alphanumeric and musical data -- If I use the information a few times, it goes to permanent storage and can be retrieved instantly decades later. I'm only so-so at recognizing faces, but great at remembering how someone's name is spelled. And if you ever need someone for a Name That Tune competition, I come equipped with a built-in music library.

I love this, I can relate. I am dyslexic (diagnosed when I was 17) but can really 'tune in' to things... though the word alphanumeric gives me heebee jee-bees. Tongue It's a beautiful and scary word from my point of view. That is a gift. The only 100 percent thing my mind gives me is in the tone of colour... I am 100 percent colour tone efficient. It feels like ecstasy when I see perfect light and colour.

(01-02-2014 12:22 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  The crow is a lot harder than it looks, and I give applause. ^_^

I am EXCEPTIONALLY awesome at reading body language. I can tell the most random things about people just by the inflections in their voices, what direction they look when they say something, etc. I'm not even doing it on purpose, it's just the way I am.

The crow is something I mastered 9 years ago and didn't keep up on, and something about it has intrigued me ever since. I did not like the (entry?) into it years ago from the instructor I had, so I am trying to relearn it under new formation... it's seriously a bit of a process, but it is good.

Is there a reason you feel you are good at reading body language? I've always been good, but I did take a class on facial and body language when I was in school for counselling, I learnt a lot more. It is a good intuitive 'street smarts' skill, though.
01-02-2014, 01:49 AM
(31-01-2014 08:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I can shit quicker than everyone I know can piss, including me. Not sure whether it's a blessing or a curse. Consider

My husband can read war and peace while he works on his.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-02-2014, 02:05 AM
(01-02-2014 01:23 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Is there a reason you feel you are good at reading body language?

I've got a near 100% success rate. Wink When I was a pagan my first close-knit coven unanimously thought I was "psychic." Lol. (Looking back on it, it's equal amounts of sad *and* charming that they thought that.)

But no, I've never been properly trained on it or anything like you have. For me it's completely intuitive. My brain just processes the information and tells me what up. It's incredibly awkward sometimes, especially reading what's going on between two people. Having to wait until a 'friend' of a friend leaves the room before asking "So, how long have you guys been bumping uglies?"

They usually respond with frustration that I'm "always right about that sort of thing." Too bad it doesn't do me any good over the net, eh?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
01-02-2014, 03:17 AM
What special tricks can you do?
(01-02-2014 12:15 AM)Astreja Wrote:  I have an anti-talent: Compared to other people, it takes Me at least three times as long to learn dance steps, martial arts katas, or other things that require mind and body to work together. I call this "dance dyslexia." (I've also managed to spill the same glass of water three times at the same meal.)

Huh. Sounds like we may have a couple things in common. Although it sounds like you at least learn dance steps. I simply don't dance.

Some songs get stuck in my head so hard I can almost hear the whole thing clear as a bell. Although that's not a talent because I can't rely on it. Sometimes it happens when I don't want it to.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
01-02-2014, 06:41 AM
I can touch my head with my feet while lying on my front.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
01-02-2014, 07:32 AM
I can solve a Rubik's cube in about two minutes. But it don't think it's a talent, anybody can learn the pattern.
01-02-2014, 07:37 AM
(01-02-2014 06:41 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  I can touch my head with my feet while lying on my front.

Yes, but can you perform the "certainly nothing like a crow" move?

[Image: e1fa5f21-be05-4ba2-aba8-9882c9ad9270_zps36a1b00f.jpg]
When you can manage to look nothing like a crow in that particular way, your weird spine will have impressed me, good sir!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-02-2014, 07:40 AM
That doesn't look that hard Consider