What the “Ignore List” is good for

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
What the “Ignore List” is good for
I use it very sparingly, only when I am convinced that the person I am putting there will not debate HONESTLY with me, in good faith, considering and responding to ALL my arguments in a way that convinces me that they were not deliberately ignored.

When I see no hope at all, after several failed attempts to communicate, I don’t want to see any more “jibber-jabber” to clutter up the thread.

One more reason: if the person is using particularly ugly and abusive language.

I am sure others have their own reasons, if they use the feature at all, but I find it very convenient.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2012, 12:57 PM
RE: What the “Ignore List” is good for
I feel that I can't use a feature like that anywhere that my voice is heard. There are things that I feel I must stand for, so I would be bothered by missing a chance to stand for them. Especially as I may make it look like I'm ok with bad practices. For a lot of people the ignore option can be really useful, but I just feel there are always those who do not ignore and allow the oppression to sink in. I want to be there to help.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I don't have anyone on my ignore list. I don't even feel that there is much of a purpose to its existence either. It is essentially a tool to lock things no one is making you look at. I do that myself.
However there are douchebags that do everything within their power to instigate blatant and pointless argument and spend the entire time attacking anyone who wishes to discuss. Our worst offender was Abdelz. I didn't ignore him but I did ban him.

I find that when I am in an argument with someone or a general discussion I might get annoyed at what someone else has to say but when I cool down I realize it's usually just because it differs from my point of view. That their opinion or the facts they present might not sit well with me at the time but it makes them no less relevant. So I've made it a point to reread every post that I am discussing and actually trying to see things from the other perspective.
I started doin this with KC not because he irritated me per se, but because I just couldn't understand what the hell the guy was on about and it would make me skim his posts or avoid them altogether, entirely missing the points he was making and missing out on a whole wealth of information.
I'm glad I made this change because not junky is he actually a decent person but he's helped me to understand brutal levels of insanity.

My only negative towards ignore list has to do with blocking out the other side of the argument just because it doesn't fit your personal tastes. So much can be missed.

In your case Zat I assume you are referencing BC. That's between you two kids, but I will say that I think you are nth missing each others points and it's simply because of pig headedness. However you won't resolve anything by ignoring one another. I mean you guys both have a lot of interesting stuff to say and whether either of you currently agrees or not you both appear bright.

I don't mean any of what I wrote as an insult by the way, I just don't care for dancIng much.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
01-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Ha, I remember my first interaction with Lucradis. He got pissy with me because he thought I was being snarky... now look at us... practically lovers... umm no... butt buddies... no wait... that didn't come out right... no, not come out...

We're friends. Yeah friends. No homo.

Also, "brutal level of insanity"?

lol awesome

On topic:

Yeah, despite all the flak I get, I would never ignore someone. If anything, I'm too prideful for that; it's basically admitting that you can't handle someone and their opinions.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't use the ignore list either. I think it would just make me miss pieces of conversation or debate, whether from the single person or everyone as a whole. I kind of equate it with intolerance. We all come from different backgrounds and some people might not know they are talking in circles or not 'getting' what we're saying. Oh well!
01-03-2012, 01:37 PM
(01-03-2012 01:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...it's basically admitting that you can't handle someone and their opinions.

The ignore list is one of the ways of handling your opponent, whom you think is beyond reason (like yourself, KC, forgive me, but it is fun teasing you).

Actually it is a very efficient way of handling, with minimum expenditure of energy and no frustration at all. Big Grin
01-03-2012, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 02:02 PM by kingschosen.)
(01-03-2012 01:37 PM)Zat Wrote:  with minimum expenditure of energy and no frustration at all. Big Grin

Or you could just go

[Image: 154f2xk.gif]

and close the topic.
XD

Lucradis, I found the post.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
01-03-2012, 02:44 PM
I've had a couple of people float onto and then off of my ignore list... Adbelz was one. I don't recall who the other one was. I end up taking them off shortly after anyway.

If it's what keeps you from flying off the handle, then by all means, use it. But use it sparingly, in my opinion.
01-03-2012, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 03:53 PM by Zat.)
The reason I don't put KC on my ignore list is that I am convinced of his HONESTY.

I think he really, sincerely, believes in all that gibberish he is telling us and I respect that.

I only put people in that list when I am convinced that they are being dishonest in one or more of several ways:

1. Willful ignorance (refusing to look at documented facts)
2. Willful irrationality (when they refuse to follow logic where it inevitably leads)
3. Asking questions and then ignoring the answers

There are other ways of being dishonest and arguing in bad faith but these are the 3 main ones.

It is especially unforgivable when the person is otherwise quite bright, in areas other than their blind-spot.

As I told someone recently: "there is a difference between not knowing and not wanting to know".
01-03-2012, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 08:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-03-2012 01:25 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I don't have anyone on my ignore list.

(01-03-2012 01:36 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I don't use the ignore list either.

I don't even know what this is or how to find it. Pretty sure I don't care to either. What the hell would I use this for? To ignore someone pissing me off? Think I'd rather investigate why am I getting pissed off in the first place?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post