What the Bible Got WRONG

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 05:02 AM
RE: What the Bible Got WRONG
(01-04-2014 07:41 AM)Banjo Wrote:  What does the Bible get wrong? A better question is what does it get right.

Bats are refered to as birds, the earth is at the center of the universe, humans can live 9 centuries, insects have 4 legs, humans are created from dust etc etc. It is one long work of inaccuracies and falsehoods.

My advice is you read it before debating theists. Unless you know your subject, better to remain quiet. You do not want this said of you.

`iam tandem', inquit, `intellegis me esse philosophum?' tum ille nimium mordaciter: `Intellexeram', inquit, `si tacuisses'. 
"Now finally, he said, 'do you understand me to be a philosopher?' then he said too sharply, 'I understood...if you had kept quiet.'

Read it 3 times. Starting on a 4th. Thanks though. Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 05:03 AM
(01-04-2014 09:12 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(01-04-2014 02:22 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  When it comes to the Bible, most christians are certain they've got it right. My mother, for example, likes to tout reasons why her Bible is "true" instead of reasons why it's false. She, like many other believers, likes to use the few truthful statements in the Bible to reinforce its "validity". The depiction of a circular Earth (Isaiah 40:22), the fact that the Earth is "suspended over nothing" (Job 26:7), the presence of underwater valleys in the ocean (2nd Samuel 22:16), the concept of entropy (Psalm 102:25-26), things like that. They insist that these gems of knowledge couldn't have possibly been known by anyone living at that time, and so they must've been divinely inspired by the one true God, blessed be his name forever, amen.

Hold up... you mean the one that imagined the world as:
a flat and round disk, covered by the great solid dome of the firmament which was held up by mountain pillars, (Job 26:11; 37:18). The blue color of the sky was attributed to the chaotic waters that the firmament separated from the earth (Genesis 1:7). The earth was surrounded by waters above and below (Genesis 1:6,7; Psalms 24:2; 148:4, Deuteronomy 5:8). The firmament was thought to be substantial; it had pillars (Job 26:11) and foundations (2 Samuel 22:8). When the windows of it were opened, rain fell (Genesis 7:11-12, 8:2). The sun, moon, and stars moved across or were fixed in the firmament (Genesis 1:14-19; Psalms 19:4,6). It was also the abode of the birds (Genesis 1:20; Deuteronomy 4:17). Within the earth lay Sheol, the realm of the dead (Numbers 16:30-33; Isaiah 14:9,15).

...? Strange Consider

The incredibly self-contradictory one filled with all the metaphors that might not be metaphors, yes.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2014, 08:15 AM
(02-04-2014 05:03 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(01-04-2014 09:12 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Hold up... you mean the one that imagined the world as:
a flat and round disk, covered by the great solid dome of the firmament which was held up by mountain pillars, (Job 26:11; 37:18). The blue color of the sky was attributed to the chaotic waters that the firmament separated from the earth (Genesis 1:7). The earth was surrounded by waters above and below (Genesis 1:6,7; Psalms 24:2; 148:4, Deuteronomy 5:8). The firmament was thought to be substantial; it had pillars (Job 26:11) and foundations (2 Samuel 22:8). When the windows of it were opened, rain fell (Genesis 7:11-12, 8:2). The sun, moon, and stars moved across or were fixed in the firmament (Genesis 1:14-19; Psalms 19:4,6). It was also the abode of the birds (Genesis 1:20; Deuteronomy 4:17). Within the earth lay Sheol, the realm of the dead (Numbers 16:30-33; Isaiah 14:9,15).

...? Strange Consider

The incredibly self-contradictory one filled with all the metaphors that might not be metaphors, yes.

Okay, just wanted to make sure Thumbsup

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
04-04-2014, 09:35 AM
What does it say about people that believe wholeheartedly in a book, a fairy tale with hardly any happy aspects to it. Nothing but doom and gloom, with a few pieces of useless and contradictory "hope".
[+] 1 user Likes DarkHorse's post
07-04-2014, 07:26 AM
(01-04-2014 10:57 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Brett Palmer - What Genesis Got Wrong

Part 1/14

An earlier series, the production values might not be as good, but it's still informative. His videos get much better (including much improved mic and audio) in later videos.

Brett Palmer - Giants of the Bible

Part 1/5

Brett Palmer - What the Bible Got Wrong: A Flat Earth

Part 1/4

Brett Palmer - What Genesis Got Wrong: The Firmament

Part 1/2

Potholer54debunks - Noah's Flood Debunked

Part 1/2

I am watching these videos. Good so far.
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
27-01-2015, 11:00 AM
(01-04-2014 02:22 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I know many people frown on debating the Bible with believers. It's a book of horse-shit, any reasonable person knows that, there's no reason to debate about a fictional book of myths. I get it. But the reality is that, for many believers, the book is a literal historical account of a literal god's literal works. To them, it is very real, and holds a great deal of truth. They invest heavily in its word accordingly.

For this reason, yes, I often find myself debating the veracity of the Bible with believers. Not because I want to be right about something, but because I'm attempting to find and exacerbate a crack - any crack - in their foundation and help them to see that their Bible is bullshit. (Or, at the very least, not all it's cracked up to be) If that can be accomplished, it's a very real possibility that the dominos will fall and their faith will crumble entirely. A long-shot for many, sure. But a possibility none the less.

While I was in the shower earlier tonight, I was thinking about believers (of any sort; not just religious) and how people often tend to look for reasons why their position may be right, rather than reasons why it may be wrong. I wondered how many belief systems would crumble if everyone sought to disprove their beliefs instead of trying to prove them, first. After all, it's so easy to find reasons why our beliefs are correct. To do so, there don't even need to be any valid reasons at all. Our minds will simply make one up. We must, instead, take the bold step of trying to prove ourselves wrong, first.

When it comes to the Bible, most christians are certain they've got it right. My mother, for example, likes to tout reasons why her Bible is "true" instead of reasons why it's false. She, like many other believers, likes to use the few truthful statements in the Bible to reinforce its "validity". The depiction of a circular Earth (Isaiah 40:22), the fact that the Earth is "suspended over nothing" (Job 26:7), the presence of underwater valleys in the ocean (2nd Samuel 22:16), the concept of entropy (Psalm 102:25-26), things like that. They insist that these gems of knowledge couldn't have possibly been known by anyone living at that time, and so they must've been divinely inspired by the one true God, blessed be his name forever, amen.

Of course, few (if any) of these things couldn't have been known by the average boob living…well, at any random point in Human history. Humans are everywhere and we observe these things. It didn't take divine insight to figure out that the Earth is round or to deduce that planetary objects are floating about in the open space of the cosmos. And yet these people point to these passages as somehow unique, and therefore dictated by an all-knowing deity who's insight supersedes that of mortal man. And yes, we could debate all day long about what's "metaphorical" and what's "literal" and how the Earth isn't really "suspended" and all that shit…fine. But frankly, I don't care what's meant to be literal and what's meant to be metaphorical (I don't even know how we'd go about determining that), what I care about is the fact that believers DO tout these passages as though they are accurate depictions of the world in which we live, and then use that to justify their belief. That is all that is relevant.

The point of all this rambling is that I'm looking for sources of this information at the time of or prior to the general time-frame in which the Bible was written. I want this information so that I can hold up a bit of info to the believer and say "That's cool, but Emperor So-and-So figured out X was true, and he did it on the other side of the world about a thousand years before your Bible was written. So, while the information is true, it's not all that special." Can anyone provide me with such sources? I know the 10 Commandments (or, at least, some of the specific commandments therein) predate the supposed writing. I've also heard tell that some of the aforementioned scientific information predates the writing of the Bible, yet I've never been pointed to an actual source. Can anyone help me out?
It is a lost cause trying to out-science them; instead point out that other civilizations had similar beliefs long before the Jews and Christians had theirs. If you read up on the Egyptian religion you will note that Genesis has parallel beliefs, namely choas of water--diety Nun; Earth diety Geb; Shu diety air; Tefnut diety representing moisture in the air. Geb was the firmament that rose from the waters of choas (Gen 1:6). Shu separated the earth and sky from one another. The Egyptians had a barrier of water under the earth. Genesis has a similar configeration. Atum, representing the Sun, rose out of Geb the earth. One of their creation dieties created people and animals using clay; another used the "word". So will you find similar parallel creation methods. Even the Tree of Life is not unique with the Jews/Christians as the Mesopotamians had a Tree of Life myth long before the Jews/Christians did. How could Christians believe in the same myths as the Egyptians and still have a valid belief? Blink
[+] 1 user Likes wadehthomson's post
05-02-2015, 04:04 PM
(01-04-2014 07:41 AM)Banjo Wrote:  What does the Bible get wrong? A better question is what does it get right.

Bats are refered to as birds, the earth is at the center of the universe, humans can live 9 centuries, insects have 4 legs, humans are created from dust etc etc. It is one long work of inaccuracies and falsehoods.

My advice is you read it before debating theists. Unless you know your subject, better to remain quiet. You do not want this said of you.

`iam tandem', inquit, `intellegis me esse philosophum?' tum ille nimium mordaciter: `Intellexeram', inquit, `si tacuisses'. 
"Now finally, he said, 'do you understand me to be a philosopher?' then he said too sharply, 'I understood...if you had kept quiet.'
I agree with argueing from the Bible and not trying to out-science apologists. I have been advocating the taking the Bible to them as proof of the fallacy of Christianity; by pointing out that Jesus, in Matthew 12:38-40, proved himself to be a false prophet by predicting that he would prove himself to be the messiah by staying in the ground for three days and three nights. He didn't, though apologists try to warp the facts by saying he was in the tomb for three days--which he wasn't even that since he was gone before daybreak Sunday.

Which was the first and last and only one, Jesus or God?--according to Revelations 1:17 and Rev. 2:4 versus Isaiah 44:6 and Isaiah 48:12 they both were the first and last and only one. These contradictions pretty well point out the fallacy of using the Bible to prove a Belief. Jesus as Savior too is pretty well debunked by Isaiah 43:11--no other savior but God. Jesus cannot then be mankinds savior.
05-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Quote:for many believers, the book is a literal historical account of a literal god's literal works.

Verily I tell Ye, such people are called 'assholes.'

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!