What the fuck is Atheist fundamentalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2015, 12:50 PM
RE: What the fuck is Atheist fundamentalism?
(13-04-2015 12:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 12:40 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It basically boils down to theists knowing that atheists who speak up as atheists, probably don't like religion. So they think it ironic to label us with religious terms. They don't realize that this undermines their own belief system, but one wouldn't expect rational thought from the religious camp!

I'd like to agree, but minds like theirs do not comprehend irony. No

They think it is condescending to use religious terms to describe atheists. Which is what I was getting at by saying that it undermines their own beliefs.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2015, 01:41 PM
(13-04-2015 12:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Atheist fundamentalism is what you call an atheist who doesn't stay quiet.

That is probably true to some degree but the following might help being labeled an Atheist Fundamentalist:

1. Don't give the impression that you think being a Christian automatically makes a person irrational or mentally inferior. We get pissed when Christians think atheists are immoral or amoral. They get pissed when we think they're all stupid.

2. Choose your battles. Avoid attacking small things that don't really matter if doing so will make you appear heartless or just a dick.

3. Be respectful. That usually disarms people right there. If they still attack you, THEY will come across as the dick.

4. Keep in mind that religious people will usually be more moved by emotional arguments than logical ones. If you use logic in an emotional situation, you will be resented. As an example: News articles about events where lots of people die but there is a lone survivor are common. Christians inevitably praise God in the comments section. Atheists jump in and point out it makes no sense to praise God for the survivor when 150 others died. It is logical but the common believer sees it as very poor taste. They see the praising God thing as comfort in the face of tragedy - and here comes this heartless, atheist troll trying to steal that comfort away for no good reason. They're wrong but that's how they think.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes AFTT47's post
13-04-2015, 01:51 PM
(13-04-2015 01:41 PM)AFTT47 Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 12:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Atheist fundamentalism is what you call an atheist who doesn't stay quiet.

That is probably true to some degree but the following might help being labeled an Atheist Fundamentalist:

1. Don't give the impression that you think being a Christian automatically makes a person irrational or mentally inferior. We get pissed when Christians think atheists are immoral or amoral. They get pissed when we think they're all stupid.

2. Choose your battles. Avoid attacking small things that don't really matter if doing so will make you appear heartless or just a dick.

3. Be respectful. That usually disarms people right there. If they still attack you, THEY will come across as the dick.

4. Keep in mind that religious people will usually be more moved by emotional arguments than logical ones. If you use logic in an emotional situation, you will be resented. As an example: News articles about events where lots of people die but there is a lone survivor are common. Christians inevitably praise God in the comments section. Atheists jump in and point out it makes no sense to praise God for the survivor when 150 others died. It is logical but the common believer sees it as very poor taste. They see the praising God thing as comfort in the face of tragedy - and here comes this heartless, atheist troll trying to steal that comfort away for no good reason. They're wrong but that's how they think.

If you're giving me advice, I'm good.

-Rick
13-04-2015, 03:57 PM
An atheist fundamentalist is someone who understands the fundamentals of other religions and says "You're all fuckin nuts"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
13-04-2015, 04:15 PM
"Militant" and "fundamentalist" are to atheism as "evangelical" is to Christianity. Drinking Beverage

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-04-2015, 06:07 PM
(13-04-2015 12:29 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  

I'm coming to think that. Darwin is called a atheist fundamentalist, for what? writing books! lol.

Darwin was a creationist.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
13-04-2015, 06:16 PM
(13-04-2015 06:07 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 12:29 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm coming to think that. Darwin is called a atheist fundamentalist, for what? writing books! lol.

Not a Biblical one. He didn't believe a word of it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
13-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Chapter 14, Origin of Species ( The conclusion )

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/origin/chapter14.html

Quote:Authors of the highest eminence seem to be fully satisfied with the view that each species has been independently created. To my mind it accords better with what we know of the laws impressed on matter by the Creator, that the production and extinction of the past and present inhabitants of the world should have been due to secondary causes, like those determining the birth and death of the individual.

If you accept the preposterous notion of a "creator" you are a creatard. Granted, Darwin did much to smack those assholes down...but those are his words.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
13-04-2015, 06:34 PM
What the fuck is Atheist fundamentalism?
(13-04-2015 06:07 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 12:29 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm coming to think that. Darwin is called a atheist fundamentalist, for what? writing books! lol.

Darwin certainly started out as a creationist and believed in special creation, right up until he started to explore the depths of natural selection and found it unnecessary.

I don't know if he died an atheist, but he didn't die a Christian.

-Rick
14-04-2015, 02:32 AM
I think an atheist fundamentalist is someone who tries really, really hard to pretend there is no god but still obviously knows there is one. Because, you know, trees and that.

I think some people are so invested in religion being their way of life that they think atheism has to somehow follow the same format.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.