What the fuck is Atheist fundamentalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 02:46 AM
RE: What the fuck is Atheist fundamentalism?
(13-04-2015 11:58 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Yeah... that's about it really. Being an avid viewer of religious vs non religious debates I've noticed a massive increase in all the religious people ganging up and going on about a massive threat being atheist fundamentalism.
Are they really saying atheist fundamentalism?

It used to be militant atheist!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2015, 02:48 AM
(13-04-2015 06:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  If you accept the preposterous notion of a "creator" you are a creatard. Granted, Darwin did much to smack those assholes down...but those are his words.

That's a bit harsh. Darwin didn't have access to the vast wealth of information we now have that supports his general hypothesis. He wrote that back when the book was just an idea, many decades from being codified into the most sound and well substantiated theory in science. Even now, abiogenesis is both a separate field of study and lacks the same level of confirmatory evidence.

Judging him a 'creatard' by our standards now is a bit unfair, you cannot hold against him knowledge that he could not possibly have had. I reserve 'creatard' for the purposely ignorant, and Darwin was most certainly not that.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-04-2015, 02:48 AM
(13-04-2015 06:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't know if he died an atheist, but he didn't die a Christian.

IIRC there was an article I saw a while back saying that his family had bowdlerised some of his later stuff before post-humous publication 'cos they disapproved...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-04-2015, 03:27 AM
(13-04-2015 11:58 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Yeah... that's about it really. Being an avid viewer of religious vs non religious debates I've noticed a massive increase in all the religious people ganging up and going on about a massive threat being atheist fundamentalism. What the fuck is that?

It's like over the thousands of years non-believers have had to suffer the most under the iron fist of religion while religions battled each other about whose is the "truest" and now we finally can express ourselves they're all ganging up on us as a common enemy. Fuck sake. Atheist fundamentalism. What are the fundamentals? Lacking in belief?

I think it comes from the religious that seem to think if you're an atheist then you're a nihilist basically.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this one, buddybro. Some people are very orthodox about their disbelief in the all-powerful Allah. If you are going to disbelieve in things you don't have evidence for, you should be non-committal and ambivalent about that disbelief.

Assalamu alaikum
[+] 1 user Likes SnackbarClerk's post
14-04-2015, 03:55 AM
(14-04-2015 03:27 AM)SnackbarClerk Wrote:  ...
I'm afraid I have to agree with this one, buddybro. Some people are very orthodox about their disbelief in the all-powerful Allah. If you are going to disbelieve in things you don't have evidence for, you should be non-committal and ambivalent about that disbelief.

Assalamu alaikum

I dunno 'bout that.

I'm fairly committed to my non-belief in Zeus or Santa and the rest. There are no mixed feelings or contradictory ideas floating through my mind.

And welcome to TTA.

Big Grin

14-04-2015, 04:33 AM
(13-04-2015 06:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 06:07 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Darwin was a creationist.

Not a Biblical one. He didn't believe a word of it.

And a racist! Blink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2015, 04:43 AM
(14-04-2015 04:33 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 06:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not a Biblical one. He didn't believe a word of it.

And a racist! Blink

From reading his earliest work Voyage of the Beagle, Origin and parts of Descent of Man, he doesn't strike me as much of a racist at all, even for his time - more of a imperialist cultural supremacist who believes that the savages simply need Christianity and good English governance (in VOTB). I'm not aware that he ever stresses that they are "genetically" inferior, although it's been a while since I've read it. VOTB also reveals that already as a tween he utterly deplores the treatment of native americans and slaves in the Americas, and that is what made it into the official report to the Queen, extrapolate from that what he really thought.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
14-04-2015, 05:48 AM
(14-04-2015 02:46 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 11:58 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Yeah... that's about it really. Being an avid viewer of religious vs non religious debates I've noticed a massive increase in all the religious people ganging up and going on about a massive threat being atheist fundamentalism.
Are they really saying atheist fundamentalism?

It used to be militant atheist!

It's any word that sounds scary... it also can be Evangelical atheist or Radical Atheist. I've even heard the words trying to incite fear saying evil Islamic Atheist.. just put bad words together to rattle the cages.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-04-2015, 08:01 AM
(14-04-2015 02:48 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 06:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  If you accept the preposterous notion of a "creator" you are a creatard. Granted, Darwin did much to smack those assholes down...but those are his words.

That's a bit harsh. Darwin didn't have access to the vast wealth of information we now have that supports his general hypothesis. He wrote that back when the book was just an idea, many decades from being codified into the most sound and well substantiated theory in science. Even now, abiogenesis is both a separate field of study and lacks the same level of confirmatory evidence.

Judging him a 'creatard' by our standards now is a bit unfair, you cannot hold against him knowledge that he could not possibly have had. I reserve 'creatard' for the purposely ignorant, and Darwin was most certainly not that.

Not to forget that "laws impressed on matter by the Creator" is an extremely deistic thing to say. And the quoted passage is an explicit denial of special creation.

Or maybe Einstein and Darwin really are "creatards". Who knew?

... this is my signature!
14-04-2015, 08:29 AM
Darwin has "win" in it.

That's enough proof for me.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post