What the fuck is Atheist fundamentalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 09:41 AM
RE: What the fuck is Atheist fundamentalism?
(14-04-2015 08:01 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 02:48 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That's a bit harsh. Darwin didn't have access to the vast wealth of information we now have that supports his general hypothesis. He wrote that back when the book was just an idea, many decades from being codified into the most sound and well substantiated theory in science. Even now, abiogenesis is both a separate field of study and lacks the same level of confirmatory evidence.

Judging him a 'creatard' by our standards now is a bit unfair, you cannot hold against him knowledge that he could not possibly have had. I reserve 'creatard' for the purposely ignorant, and Darwin was most certainly not that.

Not to forget that "laws impressed on matter by the Creator" is an extremely deistic thing to say. And the quoted passage is an explicit denial of special creation.

Or maybe Einstein and Darwin really are "creatards". Who knew?

I agree. It wasn't uncommon among the intellectuals of the time to have more of a deistic leaning rather than theistic.

Einstein certainly not a creaturd :O

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2015, 10:27 AM
(13-04-2015 06:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 06:07 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Darwin was a creationist.

Darwin certainly started out as a creationist and believed in special creation, right up until he started to explore the depths of natural selection and found it unnecessary.

I don't know if he died an atheist, but he didn't die a Christian.

Thank god!

Angel

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
14-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Personally I am fundamentally atheist so, yippie!

Perhaps this notion can be firmly presented on a teeshirt or bumper sticker ... ?

Whenever possible, steal thunder... bullies hate that shit. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
20-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Quote:I think it comes from the religious that seem to think if you're an atheist then you're a nihilist basically.

It certainly could but I think it is rather attempt to give atheists bad press than insinuating they're nihilists. This term also could be used to discourage atheists from criticizing the believers or/and clergy - it is used in this way in Poland coupled with decrying unbelievers as communists.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
01-09-2015, 01:10 PM
(13-04-2015 11:58 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Yeah... that's about it really. Being an avid viewer of religious vs non religious debates I've noticed a massive increase in all the religious people ganging up and going on about a massive threat being atheist fundamentalism. What the fuck is that?

It's like over the thousands of years non-believers have had to suffer the most under the iron fist of religion while religions battled each other about whose is the "truest" and now we finally can express ourselves they're all ganging up on us as a common enemy. Fuck sake. Atheist fundamentalism. What are the fundamentals? Lacking in belief?

I think it comes from the religious that seem to think if you're an atheist then you're a nihilist basically.

I have seen a few I call that. They show the same passion and hate of other beliefs, that Christain fundamentalist show. Want to see it go to Usenet Christain or atheist groups. Both sides show it. Been told the Correct term for those people was New/Militant atheist. To me a persons words and action tell you about them not the Title they are given.
[+] 1 user Likes MattB's post
01-09-2015, 01:12 PM
(01-09-2015 01:10 PM)MattB Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 11:58 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Yeah... that's about it really. Being an avid viewer of religious vs non religious debates I've noticed a massive increase in all the religious people ganging up and going on about a massive threat being atheist fundamentalism. What the fuck is that?

It's like over the thousands of years non-believers have had to suffer the most under the iron fist of religion while religions battled each other about whose is the "truest" and now we finally can express ourselves they're all ganging up on us as a common enemy. Fuck sake. Atheist fundamentalism. What are the fundamentals? Lacking in belief?

I think it comes from the religious that seem to think if you're an atheist then you're a nihilist basically.

I have seen a few I call that. They show the same passion and hate of other beliefs, that Christain fundamentalist show. Want to see it go to Usenet Christain or atheist groups. Both sides show it. Been told the Correct term for those people was New/Militant atheist. To me a persons words and action tell you about them not the Title they are given.

Also thought I had replied to this seems I didn't that I can see so if you get 2 from me, my apologies.
01-09-2015, 01:14 PM
[Image: 59215702.jpg]

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-09-2015, 02:23 PM
(01-09-2015 01:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  [Image: 59215702.jpg]

What is old to some is new to others. ;=))))
01-09-2015, 02:26 PM
(01-09-2015 02:23 PM)MattB Wrote:  What is old to some is new to others. ;=))))

You contributed. Otherwise you woulda got the other necroposting meme. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user