What the hell is baptism for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2015, 06:58 AM
RE: What the hell is baptism for?
As with all bits of religion - somebody made it up - and then got everyone to go along with it.

I'd imagine "The Holy Enema" was a much harder sell......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2015, 07:47 AM
I wonder if butt chugging qualifies as being "filled wth the spirit"? Hmm
26-01-2015, 10:23 AM
(26-01-2015 06:50 AM)pablo Wrote:  What are they charging for a baptism these days?

wait they charge you to let them dunk your kid ?
26-01-2015, 10:25 AM
For pissing in that pool, I'm thinking. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2015, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2015 01:59 PM by Anti-oil.)
In the Gnostic work The Tripartite Tractate it states: "(Baptism) is called 'silence' because of the quiet and the tranquility." If we take this statement seriously then we have wonder about how it might relate to the 1st Century authors Tacitus (tacit) and Tranquillus (tranquil). If there is a "correctness" to names as suggested by Plato in Cratylus, then in the writings of Tacitus and Tranquillus we have examples of "baptism".

The "cleansing" suggested by baptism has a real world meaning akin to "censorship". The "soul" is the "history of a person's life" which can be preserved in writings. Religion is based on allegory. Decipher the allegory and you will not have to wonder about the meaning of its metaphors.
26-01-2015, 03:17 PM
(25-01-2015 09:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-01-2015 09:15 PM)thecontemplator Wrote:  So for those who believe baptism washes away your sin. Do they think unbaptized babies go to hell?

Depends who you ask. That's why the Cat-o-licks invented Limbo, (not the dance).
I think Aquinas wrote a lot about that.

Well now I need to know what religious group did invent the dance, because there is no way that's not an intentional escape from hell by getting under it.

I think they misunderstood that John the baptist was a real prophet who was trying to tell them how washing yourself off with water actually helps your health.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Catholics believe its the only thing that can remove original sin, then you're good to go until you reach the "age of awareness" and become capable of new sin. The age remarkably coincides with the first communion.

Of course this is from the same people who believe the host literally becomes the body of Jebus and wine literally becomes his blood. Can I say yuck?

So....there's that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-01-2015, 05:05 PM
If water washes away your sin... Can't you just take a bath? Laugh out load And if it works for original sin why not regular sin? I sinned really bad today gotta scrub extra hard.
[+] 1 user Likes thecontemplator's post
27-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Suckers?
27-01-2015, 01:20 PM
(26-01-2015 06:50 AM)pablo Wrote:  What are they charging for a baptism these days?

I've heard about up to 300$ here. I mean, pretending to drown a baby and not actually letting it drown is hard, man. I mean, you don't wanna let the baby drown, right? Oh, but wait. This has totally happened.

Baptisms are a big deal here and it's all with ribbons and candles and all that cute shit for the baby. I gotta tell you, the babies' cries are heartbreaking.

Photography studios that take up all the filming and photos of the event usually promote their services by presenting photographs from other baptisms in their shop windows.

There was this particular photo in a studio in my neighborhood, in which the baby had been fully immersed in the water with only two tiny feet sticking out. I mean, it was a photo of a baby seemingly drowning and fighting for its life. I thought it was tragically hilarious.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-