What the hell is going on?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2015, 07:09 AM
Sad What the hell is going on?
Shit. My other sister is getting divorced now. WTF? Is there something in the water in Illinois? The ink is barely dry on my middle sister's papers and then my older sister and her husband are now divorcing. The worst part is that my BIL is a really, really nice guy and but my sister just isn't happy. This really has rattled my wife who is now scared that I'll follow suit which I have absolutely no intention on doing. Even though we have our differences, I still love her dearly. I would never have guessed that our marriage would be the one that lasted.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2015, 07:21 AM
RE: What the hell is going on?
Wow mate. So sorry to hear this. Reassure your wife as best you can.

It seems like everyone has issues at the moment. It can be overwhelming.

Keep your chin up mate.

All the best. Dale

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
10-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Correlation does not imply causation. Do something nice for her and reassure her, but privately so your sisters don't feel offended or whatever.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
10-07-2015, 09:02 AM
I don't think divorce is contagious. The closest thing would be that one sister was maybe thinking about it but didn't have the courage till the other sister did it. Let your wife know that you love her and have no intention of calling it quits.

Were this not a protected section I would have to say something along the lines of - see what happens when you allow gay marriage?!?!?!

But seriously...divorce in a family has an effect on everyone because the dynamics change. It also sounds like you wife is a bit insecure right now. People often look at other people's relationships and see them in a way that really isn't how it is behind closed doors.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
10-07-2015, 09:26 AM
I had a simaler expericance. But wasn't with a realtive. A friend of mine had been dating another "friend" of mine for many years. He was madly in love with her and would talk fondly every chance he would get. I was still a realitive new comer to the circle of friends, and the rest of them said they don't think it would last. They had been dating for 10 years so I thought it as just an inside joke. They spent all their time together, at work, after work, everywhere. But there would be times that she wouldn't want to go somewhere (Not unusal) but when ever that would be she would want to be hanging out with one of his BF's. Who wouldn't want to tag along with the outing eater.

They got married bought a house, and things (from the outside) all seemed to be going well.

3 months later they got a divorce. I didn't know,until I ask one of my coworkers 'Why are the two of them not sitting together?" She responded "They got a divorce." I sat in shock "What happened? I heard rumors, but didn't believe them." Coworker said "What rumors?" "That she was cheating on him? But what really happened?" The two female coworkers were close friends of her's and I figured i get the true story from them but they "didn't know"

This later bit me in the butt. They ratted on me to her, who in turn told my Manager. Who said I was going to be fired for starting rumors. All i ask was a simple question. A personal one but I didn't feel it was an out of the ordenary to question. I avoided her at all cost, after that.

Months later she quiet and moved to Vegas. And I ask Him what really happened. He said "He divorced her. Because he found a second phone that she was using to hook up with other guys. And the most frequent one was his best friend."

In the words of Outkast

If what they say is "Nothing is forever"
Then what makes, then what makes, then what makes
Then what makes, what makes, what makes love the exception

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
10-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Hi OC,

I agree with Anj and WH on reassuring your wife. From your posts I can tell you really love her so I am sure it won't be too hard to reassure her Smile

Jenny
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
10-07-2015, 09:36 AM
My oldest sister was married to this guy for 25 years... Both xtian....

She finally divorced him.

He was bipolar..... Nicest guy to everyone else --- a morose son of a bitch at home when nobody (except sis) was looking....

You don't know what somebody's like - until you live with them...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
10-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Sorry your sisters are going through all that. Sometimes, folks just ain't meant to be together, and that's that.

Reassure your wife not only with small gestures, but also by showing the willingness to roll up your sleeves and do the hard work that long-term relationships often take: compromise, consideration, caring, those are the currencies of love.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
10-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Sorry that that's happening, it does make everything in the family more stressful.

My younger brother and sister were always close, and they wound up doing lots of things in the same general timeframe, including moving to California, getting married (to other people, obviously!) and then getting divorced. Each event happened within a year of the other sibling's doing it, and usually the time lag was only a few months.

I think sometimes the cascading divorce thing happens because a person is becoming unhappy, but doesn't have the motivation/courage/whatever to make a move until they see a close friend or relative doing the same.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
11-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation. Quite a few friends of my wife and I have gotten divorced lately. Not that I need a reason to cherish her more but each time I hear about a couple splitting up I try and do a few extra things around the house or schedule a fun date night for us that reassures her that we are doing well. Good luck to you and your family.
[+] 1 user Likes Rkane819's post