What the hell is wrong with the Discovery Channel?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2012, 08:19 PM
What the hell is wrong with the Discovery Channel?
I used to like watching it when the programming was diverse, but enough with hours on end of scraggly bearded fishermen swearing at each other and getting into dysfunctional fistfights. Come to think of it, why is it that every channel like History, Discovery, A&E, Nat Geo, etc.,have such terrible programs these days? Nothing but a bunch of shitty white people who make bad life decisions, paranoids drinking their urine and waiting for a nuclear holocaust, and people doing time in prison! Are you fuckers kidding me? Is this the only thing on the subjects of science and discovery that you can run???? I watched these channels to escape this sort of tripe, now they just give into it!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
20-04-2012, 08:22 PM
RE: What the hell is wrong with the Discovery Channel?
That lot really has gone down hill. I think it just comes down to aiming for the lowest common denominator.

The History Channel needs to be renamed to "Ancient Aliens Channel"

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 5 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-04-2012, 08:24 PM
You've now discovered why I don't really watch television any more. Even shows I used to love (as in would watch when it was on [well 15 minutes after so I could watch without commercials]), I frequently just delete it if it's recorded. I've even stopped like 90% of the DVR recordings I used to have.

I've considered cancelling cable (although with the package deal, one of the three services is "free" in a sense), and there are four or so shows I watch (two are cartoons, one's on BBC America, and one's on Discovery I think).
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
20-04-2012, 09:02 PM
It is because of ratings. The average person does not like becoming intelligent apparently. So all the major networks that used to have informative stuff have changed to run of the mill garbage to make money.

Under Repair.
20-04-2012, 09:24 PM
"Reality TV" is big because so many people think it really is reality. Or because they are so fed up with their own reality.

I watch little TV cause it's usually on something real fascinating like Pawn Stars, Swamp People, American Pickers, Finding Bigfoot, some damn reconstruction show and anything involving an auction, motor vehicles, or guns. Don't get me started on the three day hell that is the Barrett-Jackson auto auction. I develop a twitch after just a small amount of time of listening to an auctioneer.

I will watch true crime when I manage to get control of the remote. I like the forensics and am currently taking criminology classes so I do get something from some of those shows. Other than that, I would rather the damn thing not even be turned on.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
20-04-2012, 09:28 PM
What is wrong with you people?

Haven't you heard of PBS?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-04-2012, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 11:29 PM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(20-04-2012 09:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  "Reality TV" is big because so many people think it really is reality. Or because they are so fed up with their own reality.

I watch little TV cause it's usually on something real fascinating like Pawn Stars, Swamp People, American Pickers, Finding Bigfoot, some damn reconstruction show and anything involving an auction, motor vehicles, or guns. Don't get me started on the three day hell that is the Barrett-Jackson auto auction. I develop a twitch after just a small amount of time of listening to an auctioneer.

I will watch true crime when I manage to get control of the remote. I like the forensics and am currently taking criminology classes so I do get something from some of those shows. Other than that, I would rather the damn thing not even be turned on.

Adam Carolla had some great insight on this in one of his rants about Piers Morgan

@2:15 He talks about reality TV being a product of our own narcissism. And he's right. Society did let it get this bad.

I liked some of these shows when they were on - but only when the channel had one or two of them in their program lineup. Now it's virtually 24 hours a day, it seems. Are the network execs really that desperate for ideas?

(20-04-2012 09:02 PM)itsacow Wrote:  It is because of ratings. The average person does not like becoming intelligent apparently. So all the major networks that used to have informative stuff have changed to run of the mill garbage to make money.

Yeah and I realized today that that is really, really pissing me off.

(20-04-2012 09:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  What is wrong with you people?

Haven't you heard of PBS?

True, PBS has decent shows. Though I find Masterpiece Theater and Waiting for God duller than shit.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
21-04-2012, 01:48 AM
(20-04-2012 11:25 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Waiting for God duller than shit.
LOL what's the show like?

"God arrived yet?" "No, still waiting"

"He here yet?" "No"

etc.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
21-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Once upon a time I watched the History channel, the Discovery channel, and the Learning channel. Actually it was about a year ago when I had cable turned off....... Now when I go over to my mother in laws house, all I see on the History channel is swamp people and swap people. If its not that it's some psychic walking around the grocery store spouting crappolla at strangers.........

I think I will stick to Spongebob, at least it has a warped funniness to it........LOL
[+] 1 user Likes shadostr13's post
21-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Ya it's terrible these days. Every day I turn on discovery history I see "WW2 in colour". Every day I turn on discovery I see "trawler wars". Although at least discovery still has myth busters and bear grylls.