Poll: What's the biggest problem facing the United States today?
Religion
Lack of Education
Reliance on Figureheads instead of critical thinking
Apathy
[Show Results]

What the hell is wrong with the United States?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2014, 02:32 AM
RE: What the hell is wrong with the United States?
Where's the "All the above" choice?

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
12-05-2014, 05:12 AM
The amount of money spent on education in the US, isnt commensurate with the quality, which is to say under par, compared to say, Europe.

We can spend ten times the $$$ number and still have a lacking educational system here.

Case in point, Texas with their creation filled textbooks, just to mention one.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
12-05-2014, 05:41 AM
Forgive me if I do not make sense but...

Trying to define "a problem" with a nation seems a bit ridiculous. A nation is a highly complex thing. The number of issues at any one time must be many. Questions such as "why did Rome fall?" or what is wrong with America are incredibly complex. There is no one answer either way.

I know many Americans and consider them friends. They seem ok to me. Problems don't exist in a vacuum. My country, Australia, has many problems. But also many great things.

My main issue with America is Hollywood. Comic movies?? Seriously?

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
12-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Cutting the Republican Party out of the picture will make it that much easier to at least consider the options of feasible fixes to our mounting problems. As long as that rotting root remains in its current state, no progress will be made. The Republican Party endorses both big business and evangelicalism. The former played an active role in ramming the economy into the ground and decreasing the socio-economic prosperity of the rest of society, the latter leaves citizens uneducated, unthinking, and easily manipulated. The excesses of both these cancers present obstacles to improving our country's outlook.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
12-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Point 1 to some extent. Not all religious people are or want to be ignorant.

Point 2 would be more a lack of quality education. Not all the schools fault. Lots of parents really do not care if their kids get a good education as long as they can push them off to some one elst to watch for 8 hours a day 9 months a year. Schools can not do much without parent support.

Point 3 to some extent. Lots of people do not like to think for themselves or think past the tip of their nose.

Point 4 yes for various reasons.
12-05-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm too retarded to say anything on the matter.

Meh
[+] 1 user Likes diddo97's post
12-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Religion. I say let the creationist have their country and we rationals can take it over again even without war.Dodgy

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
12-05-2014, 07:22 PM
IMO, religion is the effect, not the cause. When educational standards plummet along with the economy and living standards of the middle class, people become fanatical. It's not just a US phenomenon. Look at how Iran, before the US overthrew their peaceful, democratically elected government, was like the Sweden of the Middle East. They had equal rights for women, even before some European countries. No burkhas, no sharia law. A thriving women's lib movement. They even had a gay rights movement and televised gay weddings, long before it was acceptable in the West. And their universities were well respected in the sciences. But when you strip them of everything, so they have no ability to explore the world and no education to understand it, it's natural they turn to religion. Same thing in the US. When you read about the state of the South before the civil war, while there was the obvious problem of slavery, they also had a thriving economy and good education and were more 'left'. After the civil war, they're reduced to a smoldering pile of rubble, and what results are right-wing religious fanatics.

IMO, the problem with the US is simply that it's too big, in many ways. The US has a bit everything, from the Arctic in Alaska to the tropics in Florida. So Americans don't feel the need to ever leave the US, and don't learn from and experience other cultures, and also don't develop a tolerance for them. People in places like the middle east aren't even seen as human, and the US exploits and plunders. And as the only remaining military super-power, it fosters that bully mentality, that Americans can send in drones and bomb and kill whoever they want. This encourages the notion of "American exceptionalism", which only makes things worse since it convinces people the US is already the best at everything and has nothing to learn. And then you have such a huge country with all the power getting concentrated and centralized in Washington. Of course quality will suffer. For example, 5 years after the Dept of Education was formed Milton Friedman gave a speech showing just how much the quality of education declined as a result of this 'central planning of education'. Most of Scandinavia took note and decentralized education, with great results. But in the US it just gets more and more concentrated and centralized, and the results are apparent. The US spends more per student than other countries and gets mediocre results.
[+] 2 users Like frankksj's post
12-05-2014, 07:36 PM
(12-05-2014 07:22 PM)frankksj Wrote:  The US spends more per student than other countries and gets mediocre results.

Indeed.

With the ever-so-slight caveat that that isn't true.

... this is my signature!
12-05-2014, 07:37 PM
There is a direct correlation between ignorance, low education and religious belief...

Smartass

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens