What this election is actually about.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2016, 09:21 PM
What this election is actually about.
Fuck Trump Fuck Clinton both are the worst of their parties. But when selecting a leader this fall Americans are deciding who will appoint up to 3 Supreme Court Justices and that is something that will effect everyone in this country for 30+ years.

This is what this election is about. Nothing else these clowns do will really matter. Congress looks like it will be spit again with a Democratic Senate and a Republican House so nothing will pass. So really the next 4 years are going to be the same as the last 6 with congress in do nothing mode.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
28-07-2016, 09:33 PM
RE: What this election is actually about.
(28-07-2016 09:21 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Fuck Trump Fuck Clinton both are the worst of their parties. But when selecting a leader this fall Americans are deciding who will appoint up to 3 Supreme Court Justices and that is something that will effect everyone in this country for 30+ years.

This is what this election is about. Nothing else these clowns do will really matter.

I think that is an example of what it is about. It is about regressives vs. progressives.

Quote:Congress looks like it will be spit again with a Democratic Senate and a Republican House so nothing will pass. So really the next 4 years are going to be the same as the last 6 with congress in do nothing mode.

The cynic in me asks if there's a downside to that. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
28-07-2016, 09:44 PM
(28-07-2016 09:21 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Fuck Trump Fuck Clinton both are the worst of their parties. But when selecting a leader this fall Americans are deciding who will appoint up to 3 Supreme Court Justices and that is something that will effect everyone in this country for 30+ years.

This is what this election is about. Nothing else these clowns do will really matter. Congress looks like it will be spit again with a Democratic Senate and a Republican House so nothing will pass. So really the next 4 years are going to be the same as the last 6 with congress in do nothing mode.

A thin silver lining to a Trump mushroom cloud could be a bipartisan congressional coalition to stop him from accomplishing anything.
[+] 3 users Like I Am's post
28-07-2016, 10:54 PM

If the election is about the Supreme Court then you should vote for Trump because voting for Hilary is voting to make the court ideologically homogenous when what you want is ideological diversity.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
28-07-2016, 11:00 PM
I'm also voting for the supreme court. Hillary's picks will be hard core anti-gun. Trump has released his pool of judges he would select from.

I'll take Republican appointed justices to protect the 2nd amendment.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
28-07-2016, 11:03 PM
(28-07-2016 11:00 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I'm also voting for the supreme court. Hillary's picks will be hard core anti-gun. Trump has released his pool of judges he would select from.

I really don't know what kind of Judges a president Trump would pick except that they will probably not be Mexican.
28-07-2016, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 11:22 PM by ClydeLee.)
If you wanna talk about Court Diversity, Scalia was pointing out in the past how they've got some real diversity problems in contexts of representing the country, as in pretty much all of them but 1 went to Harvard or Yale and many are from New York. None of them are from the middle of america and they're all Catholic or Jewish, not even a protestant Christian, nor obviously no muslim, hindu, or specifically none. Though there has been remarks that Breyer though jewish is non religious before. And they're all former sitting judges when selected(which was not the historical norm nor a requirement)

The pick of Merrick Garland would of been more of the same, a jewish guy who went to Harvard. Then has worked in D.C. mostly.

What exactly is Trumps background to selecting a judge? Outside of knowing folks in his place of New York he's likely just gonna have to be informed to pick someone if its going to be some choices of style. Most pointing out his former released select of judges means very little as if Trump is ever beholden to anything he has proclaimed previously.

Acting like a diversity issue is if its a matter of if a judge things the constitution should be read interpreting how it relates to the public in the time or if it should be struck to how it was intended at the time is 1 silly part of larger divisions among types of thoughts for people. People love to focus on the very few hotbed issues of strife between this point that come up, but so much that goes on in the court decisions go over the public eye(intentionally so) because it isn't on that brought up dividing line.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-07-2016, 02:12 AM
(28-07-2016 11:00 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I'm also voting for the supreme court. Hillary's picks will be hard core anti-gun. Trump has released his pool of judges he would select from.

Because you know, the most important issue in America today is gun control.
Fuck racial divide, poverty, non-equal rights to citizens, homelessness, immigration, poor education and health system or other issues that may come up at the supreme court in some fashion that will actually effect peoples lives in some meaningful way, all that matters is that the supreme court protect your right to own guns. 'Murica!

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 18 users Like earmuffs's post
29-07-2016, 03:47 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2016 03:50 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(29-07-2016 02:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  

Because you know, the most important issue in America today is gun control.
Fuck racial divide, poverty, non-equal rights to citizens, homelessness, immigration, poor education and health system or other issues that may come up at the supreme court in some fashion that will actually effect peoples lives in some meaningful way, all that matters is that the supreme court protect your right to own guns. 'Murica!

That is something that I never get. Why is the 2nd Amendment so damn important? Other civilized nations get along just fine without it, so it's clearly not an essential part of a democratic society. So it's, what, a fail-safe? To allow the people to keep the government in check? To rise up against the military?

What the fuck is the point of having an entirely volunteer armed forces? What is the mythos of the citizen soldier, if such people would forsake their fellow citizens and fall into tyranny?

If the only thing keeping a military composed of citizen volunteers in check is a similarly armed citizenry, we've already lost.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
29-07-2016, 03:58 AM
See this is why I think a world government isn't a bad idea. If we're going to be ruled by lunatics, if lunatics are going to affect my life, then I'd like to think I had a small part in choosing which ones.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.