What to Read?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2016, 05:35 PM
What to Read?!
I probably haven't read a book since I was 13.. which was 8 years ago. And now I have no idea where to begin. Hoping some avid readers could offer some suggestions. I'm eager to learning new things recently and would love either non-fiction science or history books. I'm also interested in fantasy, horror, and adventure genres. Thanks to anyone who replies!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2016, 05:40 PM
RE: What to Read?!
Wanna read a weird non fiction book? Try The State is Outdated. This cazy is trying to be serious, but believes that illegal drugs should all be legal, the governments of earth should all be relieved of their duties, without any clue as how people would go about it and that insurance companies should take over. What segment of society is more crooked than insurance except banking which is quite related to insurance actually.
Find all posts by this user
28-02-2016, 01:47 AM
Starters for science:

- A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing by Lawrence Krauss
- A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes by Stephen Hawking
- The Selfish Gene and Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder by Richard Dawkins
- Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne
- The Blank Slate. The Modern Denial of Human and The Better Angels of Our Nature. Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker
- The Believing Brain by Michael Shermer
- Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel Dennet

Short list of History books:

- Russia Under the Bolshevik Regime and The Russian Revolution by Richard Pipes
- Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 by Tonu Judt
- Hitler, Vol 1: 1889-1936 Hubris and Hitler, Vol 2: 1936-1945 Nemesis by Ian Kershaw
- Khrushchev: The Man and His Era by William Taubman
- The Destruction of the European Jews by Raul Hilberg
- The Second World War by Antony Beevor
- The Kolyma Tales by Varlam Shalamov
- Night by Elie Wiesel

Fantasy that caught my interest:
- Silmarillion, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit: There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Earthsea series bu Ursula Le Guin
- Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko
- The Kushiel's Legacy by Jacqueline Carey
- The Coldfire Trilogy by Celia Friedman

Others:
- The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
- Life and Fate and Forever Flowing by Vasily Grossman
- The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- The Gulag Archipelago, August 1914, The First Circle, Cancer Ward and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
25-03-2016, 12:33 AM
I'd echo much of what Szuchow has selected especially in the Silmarillion, however I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that many people find it a difficult read or out right dislike it. It's my favorite book, having read it for the first time as a child and many times since, but it really doesn't get good until the background and the set up is finished and the plot really starts to move just shy of 80 pages in. It's very myth building though, with the book spread out over several thousand years.

That said I love it, and I personally consider the section of the book known as "The Children of Hurin" to be the single best story he told (many disagree lol). It's also brutally dark and very much a tragedy, with no silver lining. You can actually get it as a stand alone book now. If you like the world of Lord of the Rings, you will likely like the Silmarillion.

If you are looking for something a bit less well known but very good if slightly "pulpy", dealing with topics such as gender identity, what constatutes "doing the right thing" in a world that is utterly corrupt, as well as religious zealotry and several other topics I honestly can't recommend "Beasts in Velvet" by Jack Yeovil (the pen name of the award winning Horror author Kim Newman) enough.
It's honestly underrated novel, much of it having to do with it taking place int he Warhammer Fantasy setting.
It's quite good, I enjoyed it very much.

The rest of Szuchow's list is fantastic reading as well.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
25-03-2016, 12:34 AM
Read The three musketeers by Dumas. Seriously. It's got everything.

No movie has ever come close to doing it justice.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
25-03-2016, 12:39 AM
On the road by Kerouac is good too. Smile

Too many to name. It depends a lot on one's concentration skills. It took me nearly two months to read War and peace. About a month to read The brothers Karamazov.

I first read the Iliad in two weeks. Read it maybe between five to eight times.

No exit, by Jean Paul Sartre is a great play for those venturing into individualist thought.

There's so many. The best fantasy book is Lord of the rings.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
25-03-2016, 06:00 AM
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Mandatory for the aspiring atheist to read..............

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post