What to do when someone you love becomes more religious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2013, 05:46 PM
What to do when someone you love becomes more religious
I live with my mother we were never a religious family in the first place growing up religion wasn't a big part of our lives never went to church etc. etc.
Simultaneously two things happened recently
Mom met Rick
and I came out as an Atheist.
Rick is her new "friend" she hasn't exactly told me if they were dating or not, frankly I don't want to know the guy gives me the creeps.
Rick is a theist, and ever since he came into the picture my mother has been gone. I don't know where she goes and she's often out till like 5 am. What does being theist have to do with this? Well apparently a lot of these outings involve her going to church and doing church stuff.
Shes gone from hating churches, to being a 5 day a week regular.
I don't have a problem with my parents dating other people, but I don't like how he's changed her. At Least my dad when he started dating had the courtesy to let me know in advance, hell he even asked my permission and I know he didn't have to.

Just the other day we almost got in a wreck because she was too busy blessing herself to pay attention to the road. I hear her tell me about things he said like "God meant for us to be together" and "We crossed paths so I could take you with me to south america on a mission(because she speaks portuguese)".

It creeps me out, and I can't say anything because she'll either just say
1.) its because you're an Atheist
2.) You didn't complain when you're dad started dating, you've always hated me, you just don't want me to be happy.

Right now this very moment they are holding hands and cuddled up on the couch right in front of my face, so I guess this was her cowardly and awkward way of letting me know that they were together. Super uncomfortable right now Shocking .
Maybe i'm just jealous that shes more accepting of some strange guy then she is of me, but i think I am within my right to not like what's happening.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2013, 06:29 PM
RE: What to do when someone you love becomes more religious
Short answer: Kill the boyfriend and tell her god told you to do it.

Long answer: Your mum is an adult, she has the right to make her own choices (even though they are probably wrong ones) and as frustrating as this makes us feel I think we have to respect other peoples wishes to make there own way... and mistakes in life.

If you can have a chat with her, ask her where this new found "inspiration" is from as its timing is probably coinciding with her meeting this new guy. Tell her that you think the whole god thing is bullshit, but even so that doesn't make you a bad person who loves her and wants the best for her.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply