Poll: What should I do with my 2' stack of bibles?
Add to the recycle bin
Use as fireplace fuel
Drop at front door of a church
Leave in misc. public places?
Donate em to the Library
Leave at the police dept.
Donate to the church that got my tithes
Try selling on E Bay?
[Show Results]

What to do with a 2' stack of bibles?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2017, 02:09 PM
RE: What to do with a 2' stack of bibles?
(11-03-2017 02:05 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 02:03 PM)Banjo Wrote:  You're on the internet. All the babbles are available for free.

You're dealing with an old fart here, who likes to have physical copies in his library.

Heyyy, Need a cheap used notebook abris? Drinking Beverage
Oh, okay, yeah,I know, hard to hold places on a damn touch screen and Post It Notes are also useless.

You have to be odd to be #1.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Well, you could rip the pages out, fold them up and make an oragami hat, brooch or a pterodactyl. <------a little movie reference. Tongue

Bible pages make for great paper mache stuff.

Use it for toilet paper.

Paper airplanes. The pages are kinda too lightweight so you'd have to use three pages at at time.

If you want to go to a whole lot of damned trouble, you can underline all the contradictions in the bible, color code them with different colored pens,cross referencing each contradiction, then every time you go to a hotel remove the Gideon's bible and replace it with the contradiction colored coded bible.

Or you could run them through a shredding machine and make confetti out of them.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-03-2017, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2017 02:34 PM by RearViewMirror.)
I know this is going to sound strange coming from an Atheist but why not just donate them to a local church that might be in need of resources. I'm not talking about Mega "Six Flags over Jesus" types of churches but just small churches with small congregations. Just because I personally don't believe doesn't mean that I'm for burning books. Religions are out there and people are going to believe what they are going to believe whether they share our view or not. I would feel fine with giving them to a church that might need them.

I understand that stance might cause some backlash from some on this forum and I get it. But on the flip side of the coin I'm for helping out others no matter if they share my belief (nonbelief as it may be) or not.

*EDIT* Upon further thinking. It might also help lower the animosity between people of belief and Atheist as a token of friendship? Just a thought.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 5 users Like RearViewMirror's post
11-03-2017, 02:30 PM
(11-03-2017 02:16 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  If you want to go to a whole lot of damned trouble, you can underline all the contradictions in the bible, color code them with different colored pens,cross referencing each contradiction, then every time you go to a hotel remove the Gideon's bible and replace it with the contradiction colored coded bible.

I like this. Select specific pages and highlight verses and then stitch them together so the highlighted verses form a giant cross. Depending on the verses and your mood you could either rip off or piss off Christians. Something like my kid did with the peace sign. Artists have a term for this sorta representation but I don't remember it.

[Image: peace_zpshbvsskfv.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Cut a hole through the middle of a few of them large enough to fit your favourite weed stash, bottle of scotch, dildo...what have you. Glue them together and put them back on your book shelf as a handy hiding spot.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 5 users Like unsapien's post
11-03-2017, 02:42 PM
(11-03-2017 02:29 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I know this is going to sound strange coming from an Atheist but why not just donate them to a local church that might be in need of resources. I'm not talking about Mega "Six Flags over Jesus" types of churches but just small churches with small congregations. Just because I personally don't believe doesn't mean that I'm for burning books. Religions are out there and people are going to believe what they are going to believe whether they share our view or not. I would feel fine with giving them to a church that might need them.

I understand that stance might cause some backlash from some on this forum and I get it. But on the flip side of the coin I'm for helping out others no matter if they share my belief (nonbelief as it may be) or not.

*EDIT* Upon further thinking. It might also help lower the animosity between people of belief and Atheist as a token of friendship? Just a thought.

I''m fairly confident that my local churches already have at least one copy of the Christian bible each. I'd leave them with mosques, temples, synagogues, and gurdwaras which do not.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 3 users Like Norm Deplume's post
11-03-2017, 02:52 PM
(11-03-2017 02:42 PM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 02:29 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I know this is going to sound strange coming from an Atheist but why not just donate them to a local church that might be in need of resources. I'm not talking about Mega "Six Flags over Jesus" types of churches but just small churches with small congregations. Just because I personally don't believe doesn't mean that I'm for burning books. Religions are out there and people are going to believe what they are going to believe whether they share our view or not. I would feel fine with giving them to a church that might need them.

I''m fairly confident that my local churches already have at least one copy of the Christian bible each. I'd leave them with mosques, temples, synagogues, and gurdwaras which do not.

I suppose the thought came to my mind because there is a very small "start up" church not far from our house. I'm sure they have bibles there but if I had a bunch of extra bibles lying around the house as the OP does I wouldn't mind giving them away to a place like that. That was where my line of thinking was coming from.

Needless to say... I "personally" don't care one way or another about the bible since in my opinion it has about as much factual information in it as The Hobbit. Though I think I just insulted Tolkien

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
11-03-2017, 02:55 PM
I don't know. I have lot of books, and I don't piss on them, burn them or flush them down the toilet, although I don't agree with lots of them.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
11-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Crafts!
Try some papier-mâché! It doesn't have to be elaborate...
[Image: 2-Paper%2BMache%2BBowls.jpg]
I like these simple bowls - I think I'd use them for change and catchalls on side tables. They could be painted but, I like the lettering to show. Shy

Check out this guy's papier-mâché project ...
[Image: paper%20elephant_zpsgnnuwa3q.jpg]

Consider You might need a few more bible for this project.

Pretty sweet, huh? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
11-03-2017, 04:03 PM
(11-03-2017 02:29 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I know this is going to sound strange coming from an Atheist but why not just donate them to a local church that might be in need of resources. I'm for helping out others no matter if they share my belief (nonbelief as it may be) or not.

I get where you are coming from RVM. Like I'm not on any crusade to un-save anyone. Some people need something greater than themselves to cope with the rain of chit a chitty life can bring on. If that's Jesus keeping him from shooting up the train station, fine by me. I'm not going outa my way to push my 'wisdom" (LOL) on anyone, as I would prefer to be treated the same- thank you.

If one of these books brings some lost hurting person whatever it is that's get them through to tomorrow, I personally don't care. Hence why I initially tried to sell the damn things.
Perhaps $4.5 is too much for these +- $20 books new, if I recall correctly, not adding for inflation and all that.
Sad

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 3 users Like BackSlider's post