What to do with our military?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2012, 06:04 PM
RE: What to do with our military?
Cut the defense budget at least in half. As far as all those extra soldiers? It's simple. Raise the standards back up to what they used to be. We dropped them considerably for the current military. We started allowing felons, fat kids who can't pass a PT test, and people who handle their rifle about as naturally as a midget with an Olympic pole vault pole into the military to meet recruitment quotas. Just raise the standards back to normal.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
04-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Re: What to do with our military?
The problem is the good ol boy system in mil procurement. The budget that gets cut will always fuck over the ground guys at the bottom first, bc all the assholes at the top have retired friends who work for Colt/L3/Northrup Grumman/Lockheed/etc etc etc and they will make sure that these guys are always fed the latest fat contracts while Cpl Kill will get his bennies slashed in the name of "paying off the debt" which no politician has any plan of doing.

The very thing that needs cut from defense budget has effectivly insulted itself from ever being trimmed.
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
(04-11-2012 06:04 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Cut the defense budget at least in half. As far as all those extra soldiers? It's simple. Raise the standards back up to what they used to be. We dropped them considerably for the current military. We started allowing felons, fat kids who can't pass a PT test, and people who handle their rifle about as naturally as a midget with an Olympic pole vault pole into the military to meet recruitment quotas. Just raise the standards back to normal.
For the record, only the Army lowered it's standards Big Grin The Navy has been cutting people back in an unfair and painful way, which may be required in the future but it isn't right now. Cut in half? hmm...I want to cut it, but I don't know about half. Too many good people would get shit on that have sacrificed A LOT. Maybe a reduction plan to get to half over s course of 10+ years would be something I could accept. What I don't want to do is leave those with battle scars of the body and mind out to dry, and 'firing' people that have given much, did there job, got promoted, improved things, and saved money. Good leaders are needed, though there are tons of shitbags, I have found that the DoD can't tell the difference between the two using their criteria and algorithms. Just rambling a bit.

06-11-2012, 12:28 PM
(04-11-2012 06:46 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  The problem is the good ol boy system in mil procurement. The budget that gets cut will always fuck over the ground guys at the bottom first, bc all the assholes at the top have retired friends who work for Colt/L3/Northrup Grumman/Lockheed/etc etc etc and they will make sure that these guys are always fed the latest fat contracts while Cpl Kill will get his bennies slashed in the name of "paying off the debt" which no politician has any plan of doing.

The very thing that needs cut from defense budget has effectivly insulted itself from ever being trimmed.
Thats actually a pretty good point, in fact the only ever good one I have ever heard regarding this matter. However, this problem is way too serious to just ignore it too. If that means the soldiers only get one can of beanie weenies for awhile, then that's fine. You have to start somewhere! After the cut to beanie weenies, maybe we can start on the corporate welfare.

The point is you have to start somewhere.
06-11-2012, 12:33 PM
(04-11-2012 12:20 AM)Diablo666 Wrote:  I have often pondered about what to do with our vast military if the idiotic govt ever figured out that they need to cut its current defense budget to about 20% of its current level. Then it occurred to me, why not just give it to the UN?

If someone is going to police the world, shouldn't it be the world doing it?
The world does do it. It is called a UN Policing Action, one of the first was done in Korea. The reason the U.S military appears to be most prevalent is because of its size and technology. Must I point out that Germany and France lead the NATO actions in Libya?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
06-11-2012, 12:36 PM
(04-11-2012 09:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 06:04 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Cut the defense budget at least in half. As far as all those extra soldiers? It's simple. Raise the standards back up to what they used to be. We dropped them considerably for the current military. We started allowing felons, fat kids who can't pass a PT test, and people who handle their rifle about as naturally as a midget with an Olympic pole vault pole into the military to meet recruitment quotas. Just raise the standards back to normal.
For the record, only the Army lowered it's standards Big Grin The Navy has been cutting people back in an unfair and painful way, which may be required in the future but it isn't right now. Cut in half? hmm...I want to cut it, but I don't know about half. Too many good people would get shit on that have sacrificed A LOT. Maybe a reduction plan to get to half over s course of 10+ years would be something I could accept. What I don't want to do is leave those with battle scars of the body and mind out to dry, and 'firing' people that have given much, did there job, got promoted, improved things, and saved money. Good leaders are needed, though there are tons of shitbags, I have found that the DoD can't tell the difference between the two using their criteria and algorithms. Just rambling a bit.
They didn't sacrifice shit... Its just a job. Ohh wait maybe you are right! Now that I think about it, I sacrificed my weekend to do work this weekend!!!

Did you not read my earlier post where we paid as much as the rest of the world combined on offense?
You could easily cut way way more than half and maintain the govt jobs.

We are at 7 times what china is spending, china at 1.3 billion people compared to our 0.3 billion. So we are spending something like 30 times the amount of defense as they are per citizen!

And I already know what you are thinking. "Its not about per person, its about per country". Well no its not, because that implies there is a chance we get invaded, but there obviously isn't. Thus a comparison of cost per person for govt jobs is absolutely the correct way to look at it.
06-11-2012, 01:07 PM
First let me agree with you some budget trimming is in order. I follow these things, or the military world I guess you could say, and I can assure you we have potent enemies such as Russia and China to contend with, yes Russia is back and China never went away, they both have their eye on expansion and are flexing muscle in the mid east (Russia-Syria, China-Iran) as we speak. We (the US) are under constant cyber attack from them as they continue to modernize their military capabilities. I as an ex soldier can say I am tired of seeing the US military in the role of world police, but as surely as I say that the use of the UN is laughable because by themselves the UN has proven to be completely ineffective in every instance where the US was not a key player. Also remember no one hates war more than soldiers, whatever your position, PLEASE support returning veterans as the country is once again playing see no evil with our war weary troops and they are killing themselves at an alarming rate.
06-11-2012, 04:24 PM
(04-11-2012 01:03 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  In fact, it's actually weakening us, due to is bloated size, and cost.
You're misinformed. The military has been cut dramatically by the Obama administration, that is why we are having some problems - did you see any helicopter rescues for the Sandy hurricane? Yet everybody believes that is what FEMA is supposed to do.

No - just some sorry amphibious operations to de-water some housing projects, where the city would like to compel such people to leave permanently. Things are all fucked up, because of the errors of the past.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
06-11-2012, 10:45 PM
(06-11-2012 12:36 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 09:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  For the record, only the Army lowered it's standards Big Grin The Navy has been cutting people back in an unfair and painful way, which may be required in the future but it isn't right now. Cut in half? hmm...I want to cut it, but I don't know about half. Too many good people would get shit on that have sacrificed A LOT. Maybe a reduction plan to get to half over s course of 10+ years would be something I could accept. What I don't want to do is leave those with battle scars of the body and mind out to dry, and 'firing' people that have given much, did there job, got promoted, improved things, and saved money. Good leaders are needed, though there are tons of shitbags, I have found that the DoD can't tell the difference between the two using their criteria and algorithms. Just rambling a bit.
They didn't sacrifice shit... Its just a job. Ohh wait maybe you are right! Now that I think about it, I sacrificed my weekend to do work this weekend!!!
You are a fucking idiot. I have worked in warehouses, grocery stores, restaurants, retail outlets, and I've served in the military. I can tell you right now, I sacrificed in the military. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. I'm not here to post a sob story, and there have been plenty of others who sacraficed much more than I did, but if you beleive the military is just a regular job that doesn't require extraordinary dedication, and sacrafice then you are a fool. That is all.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
06-11-2012, 10:48 PM
(06-11-2012 04:24 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 01:03 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  In fact, it's actually weakening us, due to is bloated size, and cost.
You're misinformed. The military has been cut dramatically by the Obama administration, that is why we are having some problems - did you see any helicopter rescues for the Sandy hurricane? Yet everybody believes that is what FEMA is supposed to do.

No - just some sorry amphibious operations to de-water some housing projects, where the city would like to compel such people to leave permanently. Things are all fucked up, because of the errors of the past.
yeah. like we all know we take your word for everything. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)