What to look for in a motherboard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2016, 04:45 PM
What to look for in a motherboard?
So far, I have upgraded almost everything from my current pc when I first got it. All that is left is the case, the sound card, the motherboard, the CPU, hard drive, and the...monitor / Desk ? lol.

I think I might be close to choosing a CPU right now. It won't be until the end of the year or so until I might be able to afford all this stuff, but I think the I5-6600 and the I7-6700 are the two I am looking at right now.

I already replaced my Graphics card to a R9 280 which is doing alright by me right now, So, being compatible with that card is important.

What do I need to look for when choosing the correct motherboard outside of making sure the CPU is compatible with it? I figure I would spend like Somewhere around 200 bucks on it maximum since the CPU will cost me about 350 or so.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2016, 07:24 PM
RE: What to look for in a motherboard?
(04-06-2016 04:45 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  So far, I have upgraded almost everything from my current pc when I first got it. All that is left is the case, the sound card, the motherboard, the CPU, hard drive, and the...monitor / Desk ? lol.

I think I might be close to choosing a CPU right now. It won't be until the end of the year or so until I might be able to afford all this stuff, but I think the I5-6600 and the I7-6700 are the two I am looking at right now.

I already replaced my Graphics card to a R9 280 which is doing alright by me right now, So, being compatible with that card is important.

What do I need to look for when choosing the correct motherboard outside of making sure the CPU is compatible with it? I figure I would spend like Somewhere around 200 bucks on it maximum since the CPU will cost me about 350 or so.

Have you looked at Micro Center?

You need to consider bus speed, memory speed, peripheral support (USB 3.0? 1394? video? etc), connectors, board size, ...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2016, 09:34 PM
Any modern motherboard is compatible with GPUs from both manufacturers because they use the same PCIe interface. The only thing to look out for in a motherboard other than what Chas already mentioned is the quality of the on-board soundcard. There are some motherboards from ASUS with excellent on-board audio that are very useful if you plan on using high quality headphones and/or a 3.5mm microphone with your computer (the superb signal-to-noise ratio will eliminate background noise from your microphone completely).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
05-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Make sure there isn't an actual mother in it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
06-06-2016, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 05:55 AM by Hafnof.)
The motherboard won't affect your system performance in the slightest except in extreme configurations. Buy one with the ports you want, and if you're overclocking make sure it's supported.

Myself I like to buy boards with a good number of spare ports, current versions of relevant interfaces and as little legacy as I can reasonably get.

Right now I'd be looking for nvme support, as much USB C/3.1 as I can get, plus a current cpu socket and memory. I'd be happy with DDR3 for memory still at this stage but quad channel would be nice. I'd also read up on the Gtx1080's changes to SLI to make sure I'm not missing out on supporting that.

Watch this video:

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
06-06-2016, 08:16 AM
One without a heat sink.... Just kidding, never remove the heat sink.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
06-06-2016, 08:17 AM
ASUS to many is a stable brand. I have a laptop now. I think towers are on the way out outside of servers.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
06-06-2016, 06:15 PM
A good set of milky tits.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
13-06-2016, 05:32 AM
Make sure the MB has an LGA1151 socket if you're buying a 6th gen Core i5/7 since your old one probably doesn't. Watch out for size (ATX is the standard, but it might not fit in smaller cases), and RAM slots (if you have DDR3 RAM, don't buy a DDR4 motherboard or you'll have to replace RAM as well). Since the CPUs you listed are not overclockable, it'd be a waste of money buying an overclocking-specialized board. USB3.0 is a given on anything made today, how many it has is a different question.

I've recently upgraded my PC to a setup similar to yours (R9 380, i5 6600), and having to replace my MB, I bought an MSI B150M Mortar - it's microATX, has support for DDR4 RAM, but only 1 PCI-e 3.0x16 alongside PCI-e 2.0s and a PCI-e 3.0x1 so SLI can't be done with it (I've read that Crossfire works, haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure). On the other hand, it only costs ~80$ and has built-in 7.1 audio.