What to tell 7 year old in private school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2011, 07:25 AM
RE: What to tell 7 year old in private school
(17-11-2011 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you don't provide a clearer message for your children, then your certainty that they will love science and disavow religion is unwarranted. The U.S. is the most religious of the western nations, so your faith that growing up there is enough is misguided.

You have completely misunderstood my post and you probably didn't read my other one regarding this subject. I can only come to this conclusion based on your response.

I said I will never ever lie to my children. The second they ask me about my beliefs, I am going to tell them. I love science, furthermore, I love astronomy. They are going to see this and obviously I will be educating them on these subjects.

I am not saying that growing up in America alone is enough. What I'm trying to say is this is not a third world country. To be an Atheist in a place like the Philippines (where my wife went to elementary school), is to be in danger. One of the great things about modern America is that it is a bit easier to be an Atheist here. You might be shunned or frowned on, but at least you most likely won't be in danger for it.

So the combination of science and that freedom in America along with my own unbelief gives me that confidence. So before the next time you decide to insult someone for their parenting, make sure it is warranted. Otherwise, you're the misguided one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
17-11-2011, 07:56 AM
(17-11-2011 07:10 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(17-11-2011 06:51 AM)free2011 Wrote:  

Yes, I am still afraid of death. Who in their right mind wouldn't at least be a bit afraid? Life is good and I sincerely wouldn't mind living forever... imagine being alive for the moment when humans make contact with another intelligent civilization... I CAN HOPE RIGHT? At least now, I'm not afraid of death because of the fear of punishment for "sins".

I'm right with you there. Most of TTA family will disagree with us on that one. But I've said in prior posts that the nothingness of death does freak me out a bit.
Find all posts by this user
17-11-2011, 09:08 AM
(17-11-2011 07:25 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(17-11-2011 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you don't provide a clearer message for your children, then your certainty that they will love science and disavow religion is unwarranted. The U.S. is the most religious of the western nations, so your faith that growing up there is enough is misguided.

You have completely misunderstood my post and you probably didn't read my other one regarding this subject. I can only come to this conclusion based on your response.

I said I will never ever lie to my children. The second they ask me about my beliefs, I am going to tell them. I love science, furthermore, I love astronomy. They are going to see this and obviously I will be educating them on these subjects.

I am not saying that growing up in America alone is enough. What I'm trying to say is this is not a third world country. To be an Atheist in a place like the Philippines (where my wife went to elementary school), is to be in danger. One of the great things about modern America is that it is a bit easier to be an Atheist here. You might be shunned or frowned on, but at least you most likely won't be in danger for it.

So the combination of science and that freedom in America along with my own unbelief gives me that confidence. So before the next time you decide to insult someone for their parenting, make sure it is warranted. Otherwise, you're the misguided one.

I'm not criticizing your parenting skills, just questioning your certainty that not lying to them and their growing up in the U.S. will do it.
While the U.S. is not a third world country, it is the most religiose western nation with a lot of animosity towards atheists. Also, religions target young minds.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-11-2011, 01:10 PM
(16-11-2011 06:11 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  I'll probably have this situation arise... in fact, I know it's going to happen. My wife is the same, she clings to religion still. However, she is definitely not a strict religious and is one that believes in Evolution. She want our kids to go to private school because that's how she was brought up.

I made an agreement with her though. I told her I will never lie to my kids. When they eventually ask me about my own views, I will explain. I won't however try and convince them either way. I want them to come to their own conclusions. You know, that free-will stuff.

I am hoping they will be free thinkers. The great thing is that they would then be more religiously educated free thinkers that actually learned the scripture in a religious setting.

I would explain to your child why you don't if you think your wife is comfortable with that. I'm hoping my wife holds her end of the bargain up. I swear, she seems like she could be an Atheist, but is one of those people that cling to religion for the fear/hope of an afterlife.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Although I was certain I wasn't alone in this situation, it's always nice to hear from others that are in the same. My wife and I have made no such deal, but If my older 2 kids ask me a direct question, I answer with science every time. The younger one will have to get the same brain washing as the rest of the family unfortunately.

However, the younger one has been also "brainwashed" with the truth about our prehistory and dinosaurs. So, she's got a head start that the other 2 didn't have.

Anyway, thanks!

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes wllay's post