What took me so long?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2015, 12:52 PM
What took me so long?
Hi guys,

I'm a 35 y/o engineer from South Africa, finally deciding to join the forum following my deconversion sometime last year after a 10 year journey out of my former faith. You know, the church band playing christian becoming a moderate christian, followed by the idea that maybe all those other gods are really just one and the same, eventually ending up thinking only that there must be something or someone out there. That's the limbo state I was in for about a decade.

I'm convinced the internet played the most important role in shaking me out of that lazy position, along with a very small number of atheist acquaintances. Even as a deist, I enjoyed atheists on Youtube destroying creationist arguments, and eventually the crystal clear logic of the likes of Dawkins, Hitchens and others started making it's mark. I started reading their books, finally uttering the words "I am an Atheist" during the audiobook version of "The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution."

Since then, I've been soaking up every bit of information I can find. I've listened to probably 60% of all the TTA podcasts, watched dozens of The Atheist Experience episodes, and read more Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Andrews (go Seth!) etc.

I'm still an infant in this world of rational though. It might sounds strange coming from an engineer (surely that's part of what we do?), but I still live in a world where those around me are devout believers, and I'm getting to grips with the reactions of loved ones. I've disclosed my position to only a few close friends, but have not yet broken the news to my family. I don't know when or if I ever will - I struggle with this a lot. I feel so excited about this new "Truth" that I found, but shy away at the thought of hurting those dearest to me.

Ok, enough with the long intro. I'm massively grateful to be able to join this community.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like saffer's post
22-02-2015, 12:54 PM
RE: What took me so long?
Welcome!!!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Glad you made it, enjoy your new world...the real one Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
22-02-2015, 01:05 PM
[Image: Welcome-12-june_zpsc8b9a7e4.gif]
22-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Welcome Smile I'm in SA too Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Don't worry that it seems to have taken a long time. You are here now...and welcome aboard.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
22-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Welcome, we've kept a seat warm for you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Welcome! Enjoy your stay.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]