What toothpaste/mouthwashes do you guys use?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 09:29 AM
What toothpaste/mouthwashes do you guys use?
I know this may sound like a weird question, but as any skeptic would know.....the oral hygiene aisle is hell on Earth.

I have been using pronamel for about a year now because I have very little enamel left due to acid reflux disease. It just came to my attention last night that the only ingredient in pronamel that is used to protect the enamel is FLUORIDE....which is in pretty much every toothpaste.....so why I am I paying $6 a tube for pronamel? I also, just picked up a tube of the "gentle whitening" pronamel....but stupidly read the reviews after I purchased it instead of before. A lot of the reviews say it ruined their teeth and wasn't gentle at all. I just don't want to ruin my enamel anymore by using something that has false advertisement.

I am also having trouble finding a mouthwash to use. I did use the generic brand for Listerine, but when I use it on a regular basis I develop sores in my mouth. I just bought the alcohol free Crest Pro Health one, and used it only one time and woke up with these white specks on my 2 front teeth and my mouth is kind of sore. Also, my tongue feels numb!Sadcryface I looked up the reviews and they are just absolutely terrible. People talking about brown staining, and loosing their taste. If I am already having problems after the first use, it makes me wonder what will happen if I keep using it.

Oh, and I also have sensitivity, which just makes it even more difficult to find something that works for me. So yeah, what is the scientific/skeptic approach to this? What do you guys use?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Punk Pumpkin's post
19-09-2014, 04:35 PM
RE: What toothpaste/mouthwashes do you guys use?
Don't use mouthwash. Just brush. My family uses plain crest or straight baking soda. My mom has a lot of trouble with toothpastes, too. She always uses baking soda.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
20-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Make like a Roman... Brush with piss.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
21-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Tom's of Maine. Either fennel or orange mango flavored. I don't really pay attending to whether or not it has fluoride anymore, I just like the taste and the fact that it's not the typical mint.

'Murican Canadian
21-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Quote:Streptococcus mutans is an animal parasite, especially for animals that have a high carbohydrate (sucrose, fructose, and glucose)diet and is well known as primitive causative agent of dental caries in humans. When food containing carbohydrates is consumed, S. mutans interacts with it and produces acids that cause mineral loss in teeth. The tooth cavity is the result of this mineral loss and can eventually destroy the whole tooth.
---
Quote:Probiotics may play a role as antagonistic agent on mutans streptococci (MS), acidogenic/aciduric bacteria that contributes to the caries process. In two-thirds of the selected papers, probiotics have demonstrated the capacity to reduce MS counts in saliva and/or plaque in short-term.

Cut down on sugar, brush with a fluoride paste after eating, rinse mouth (do not swallow) with a mineral water or even table salt water, use original Listerine (the shitty yellow kind-no flavors) a couple of times a week or peroxide to put a further dent in destructive bacteria. Don't forget to floss. And while you're brushing, don't forget to brush that tongue - a shit load of bacteria are riding on that spongy thing! Keep a metal spoon handy to scrape the tongue if you don't want to mess with brushing ... scraping & rinsing it can be quicker.

Also, a couple of spoonfuls of plain yogurt in the morning before regular breakfast food may provide some added protection. If you can't do yogurt, then pill form probiotics might eventually create a stronger flora in the body. But it's the immediate environment of the mouth that need the benefit of the "good bacteria" surrounding the teeth.

It's all about internal environment - your personal biosphere. By the way, probiotics might also help with acid reflux although, the following paper is only about probiotics and Streptococcus mutans. Shy

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/5/7/2530/pdf

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Crest cavity protection and I use the Crest Mouthwash...that purple one that makes the outrageous claim that it can rebuild enamel in your teeth. Load of bull since once that stuff is gone its gone but whatever. Benefit of the doubt.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
23-09-2014, 10:00 PM
I use Periogard. Anti-microbial activity evident up to 8 hours later. Needs a script in the US though. Dunno why.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
23-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Synsodyne

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
25-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Crest Pro-Health before brushing, and Crest toothpaste.
Love the taste of both. Thumbsup

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
09-10-2014, 09:16 AM
I use whatever is 50% off at the time :L

I try to get that Pronamel stuff from Sensodyne whenever I can though.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.