Poll: What type of music listener are you?
I listen to my favorite songs over and over, on repeat.
I like endless variety in my playlists.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What type of music listener are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 07:50 PM
RE: What type of music listener are you?
I like listening to game and movie soundtracks, especially when I draw. Otherwise it's a wide variety of zen, classical Japanese, or African music.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
24-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Pink Floyd. I grew up listening to them when I was a kid and David Gilmour was my inspiration for learning how to play the guitar. I started teaching my daughter how to play when she was five. I remember walking into Guitar Center to pick up a capo and some picks for her and she was standing at the counter with me. The guy behind the counter asked her if she was going to learn how to play Taylor Swift songs? She just looked at him and this five year old girl promptly said "no... I'm going to play like David Gilmour" and walked away. Dude just looked at me and said "that's the coolest shit I've ever heard!". I told him, that's really all she knows. I've played guitar and sang "Smile" by David Gilmour since the first day we brought her home and have continued that almost every single night for 11 years. She knows how to play that song by heart now.

Aside from Pink Floyd my music tastes range from Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, to acoustic versions of songs since that's what I play mostly. I've got a pretty eclectic taste in music and as long as it isn't country I'll most likely listen to it.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 5 users Like RearViewMirror's post
24-02-2017, 10:47 PM
(24-02-2017 09:24 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Pink Floyd. I grew up listening to them when I was a kid and David Gilmour was my inspiration for learning how to play the guitar. I started teaching my daughter how to play when she was five. I remember walking into Guitar Center to pick up a capo and some picks for her and she was standing at the counter with me. The guy behind the counter asked her if she was going to learn how to play Taylor Swift songs? She just looked at him and this five year old girl promptly said "no... I'm going to play like David Gilmour" and walked away. Dude just looked at me and said "that's the coolest shit I've ever heard!". I told him, that's really all she knows. I've played guitar and sang "Smile" by David Gilmour since the first day we brought her home and have continued that almost every single night for 11 years. She knows how to play that song by heart now.

Aside from Pink Floyd my music tastes range from Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, to acoustic versions of songs since that's what I play mostly. I've got a pretty eclectic taste in music and as long as it isn't country I'll most likely listen to it.

I wasn't really a Pink Floyd fan until the '80s. The early stuff was a little too "eclectic" for my taste. I was more a "Top 40" music kind of guy in those days (though I detested the repetitive nature of it on the radio, even then). I was in university ('77-'83) and working long hours to support myself and my wife, so was not all that jacked into some of the music I appreciate now. I do recall that I had a radio at the time (when at university) and when solving homework problems (especially calculus and physics, but later programming, as well), I would suddenly realize that music was playing in the background. That zone was going on.
25-02-2017, 04:14 PM
For the last four years, I've been listening to Dream Theater studio albums over and over. And that included two hours a day for a couple years when I was still commuting to work. (Thank goodness I'm now retired -- and escaped from the commute, not the music.) Smile I don't care much for their lyrics, which I typically ignore in any case, but I love their complex, progressive rock and especially their instrumental pieces.
25-02-2017, 05:02 PM
(24-02-2017 10:47 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 09:24 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Pink Floyd. I grew up listening to them when I was a kid and David Gilmour was my inspiration for learning how to play the guitar. I started teaching my daughter how to play when she was five. I remember walking into Guitar Center to pick up a capo and some picks for her and she was standing at the counter with me. The guy behind the counter asked her if she was going to learn how to play Taylor Swift songs? She just looked at him and this five year old girl promptly said "no... I'm going to play like David Gilmour" and walked away. Dude just looked at me and said "that's the coolest shit I've ever heard!". I told him, that's really all she knows. I've played guitar and sang "Smile" by David Gilmour since the first day we brought her home and have continued that almost every single night for 11 years. She knows how to play that song by heart now.

I wasn't really a Pink Floyd fan until the '80s. The early stuff was a little too "eclectic" for my taste. I was more a "Top 40" music kind of guy in those days (though I detested the repetitive nature of it on the radio, even then). I was in university ('77-'83) and working long hours to support myself and my wife, so was not all that jacked into some of the music I appreciate now. I do recall that I had a radio at the time (when at university) and when solving homework problems (especially calculus and physics, but later programming, as well), I would suddenly realize that music was playing in the background. That zone was going on.

I started to listen to Pink Floyd when The Wall came out. I was 9 at the time and I was just starting to discover my musical tastes. Going through my teens Pink Floyd became my go to music since I smoked a shit ton of weed and the music just accentuated the effect. I learned how to play guitar and my musical tastes expanded exponentially. During the 80's I saw every "hair band" that came to town so I was a product of the 80's I suppose.
There really isn't any music that I dislike with the exception of country music. Some music I enjoy more than others but the process of making music I respect greatly.

I've always maintained that music is the great uniter. No matter what we all believe we can all enjoy music even though we may have differing views of life. Music has always had the effect of bringing people together and that I greatly appreciate.

(25-02-2017 04:14 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  For the last four years, I've been listening to Dream Theater studio albums over and over. And that included two hours a day for a couple years when I was still commuting to work. (Thank goodness I'm now retired -- and escaped from the commute, not the music.) Smile I don't care much for their lyrics, which I typically ignore in any case, but I love their complex, progressive rock and especially their instrumental pieces.

Oh man... I love Dream Theater.

You might find this interesting. These kids are from the Aaron O'Keefe foundation and they perform covers of extremely complicated versions of music from Dream Theater, Tool, etc...

Dream Theater Pull Me Under

Tool 46&2 Probably one of the best versions I've heard.

Tool Sober

Tool by the way is one of my favorite bands because of the melodic heavy bass line and the time signature of their songs.

[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
25-02-2017, 05:06 PM
(25-02-2017 05:02 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I started to listen to Pink Floyd when The Wall came out. I was 9 at the time and I was just starting to discover my musical tastes. Going through my teens Pink Floyd became my go to music since I smoked a shit ton of weed and the music just accentuated the effect.

Are you aware how much they changed over the decades?

One of my favorite personal romantic songs is "Wish you were here". For personal reasons.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
25-02-2017, 05:13 PM
(25-02-2017 05:06 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(25-02-2017 05:02 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I started to listen to Pink Floyd when The Wall came out. I was 9 at the time and I was just starting to discover my musical tastes. Going through my teens Pink Floyd became my go to music since I smoked a shit ton of weed and the music just accentuated the effect.

Are you aware how much they changed over the decades?

One of my favorite personal romantic songs is "Wish you were here". For personal reasons.

I love "Wish you were here" which of course was written for Sid Barrett.

I've followed Pink Floyd from Dark Side of the Moon through their breakup. Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Division Bell, and so on. When you have a band like that with two very strong willed people (Roger Waters & David Gilmour) things just go the way they do. I have to admit that I've always been a huge David Gilmour fan since he was my inspiration to learn how to play the guitar. I've bought every single album release by the band (before and after). The Division Bell came out the week before I started Rookie School for the FD. I can even appreciate some of their earlier work though it's a little to progressive for my tastes.

25-02-2017, 05:16 PM
(25-02-2017 05:13 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I've followed Pink Floyd from Dark Side of the Moon through their breakup. Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Division Bell, and so on. When you have a band like that with two very strong willed people (Roger Waters & David Gilmour) things just go the way they do. I have to admit that I've always been a huge David Gilmour fan since he was my inspiration to learn how to play the guitar. I've bought every single album release by the band (before and after). The Division Bell came out the week before I started Rookie School for the FD. I can even appreciate some of their earlier work though it's a little to progressive for my tastes.

Listen to See Emily Play at some time. It's available on Youtube and gives you a good impression of their early psychadelic years. One of their first hits.
25-02-2017, 05:20 PM
I currently have my entire CD collection stored away in a box, but there's a select few songs from the collection on the computer. I work in a job where I have to listen carefully through headphones all day, and spend a lot of time either playing or listening to live music, so the rest of the time I let my ears rest and rarely crank up the audio player. When I do, it's usually to listen to a handful of favourites.

If I'm working on a major writing project sometimes I'll put on instrumental jazz or other free-flowing music where there are no lyrics and no strong melodic line. It's about the only thing I can listen to that doesn't hijack my attention away from the writing.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
25-02-2017, 05:22 PM
(25-02-2017 05:16 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(25-02-2017 05:13 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I've followed Pink Floyd from Dark Side of the Moon through their breakup. Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Division Bell, and so on. When you have a band like that with two very strong willed people (Roger Waters & David Gilmour) things just go the way they do. I have to admit that I've always been a huge David Gilmour fan since he was my inspiration to learn how to play the guitar. I've bought every single album release by the band (before and after). The Division Bell came out the week before I started Rookie School for the FD. I can even appreciate some of their earlier work though it's a little to progressive for my tastes.

Listen to See Emily Play at some time. It's available on Youtube and gives you a good impression of their early psychadelic years. One of their first hits.

Oh I have. I've listened to every song that they ever released.