Poll: What type of music listener are you?
I listen to my favorite songs over and over, on repeat.
I like endless variety in my playlists.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What type of music listener are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2017, 09:07 PM
RE: What type of music listener are you?
(25-02-2017 05:02 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Oh man... I love Dream Theater.

You might find this interesting. These kids are from the Aaron O'Keefe foundation and they perform covers of extremely complicated versions of music from Dream Theater, Tool, etc...

Thanks for the links. Those kids are very talented, and the singer is incredible.

I had never heard of Tool before, but I did enjoy hearing the two songs. Do you have a recommendation for a Tool album?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2017, 09:59 PM
(25-02-2017 09:07 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(25-02-2017 05:02 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Oh man... I love Dream Theater.

You might find this interesting. These kids are from the Aaron O'Keefe foundation and they perform covers of extremely complicated versions of music from Dream Theater, Tool, etc...

Thanks for the links. Those kids are very talented, and the singer is incredible.

I had never heard of Tool before, but I did enjoy hearing the two songs. Do you have a recommendation for a Tool album?

Tool - Ænima and Undertow I've listened to them for years. Pretty heavy and melodic. Good music to hop in your car and get a speeding ticket lol.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
25-02-2017, 10:05 PM
But then I go from Tool to something like this. Luca Stricagnoli is one of the finest guitarist I've heard in a long time.

25-02-2017, 10:10 PM
And this is absolutely amazing to me. I've been playing since I was 13 and I'm nowhere nearly as talented as he is.

25-02-2017, 10:17 PM
And a extremely good cover of Comfortably Numb. I really like this guy's arrangement.

26-02-2017, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 06:48 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(25-02-2017 10:05 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  But then I go from Tool to something like this. Luca Stricagnoli is one of the finest guitarist I've heard in a long time.

You might like Chris Thile too. His album Not All Who Wander Are Lost is amazing.

(I put the two Tool albums on my wish list at Amazon.)
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
26-02-2017, 08:01 AM
(26-02-2017 06:40 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(25-02-2017 10:05 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  But then I go from Tool to something like this. Luca Stricagnoli is one of the finest guitarist I've heard in a long time.

You might like Chris Thile too. His album Not All Who Wander Are Lost is amazing.

(I put the two Tool albums on my wish list at Amazon.)

Thanks for the tip. I checked him out and I like his stuff so far.

Check out Jon Gomm if you get a chance. This is the first time I ever saw someone detune and retune a guitar during a song. Pretty impressive.

26-02-2017, 10:00 AM
(26-02-2017 08:01 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Check out Jon Gomm if you get a chance. This is the first time I ever saw someone detune and retune a guitar during a song. Pretty impressive.

So many remarkably talented people create amazing work these days.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
27-02-2017, 02:28 AM
(25-02-2017 05:06 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(25-02-2017 05:02 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I started to listen to Pink Floyd when The Wall came out. I was 9 at the time and I was just starting to discover my musical tastes. Going through my teens Pink Floyd became my go to music since I smoked a shit ton of weed and the music just accentuated the effect.

Are you aware how much they changed over the decades?

One of my favorite personal romantic songs is "Wish you were here". For personal reasons.

'Tis a song I play at open-mics here, not so much for romance (though there's an element of it in there) but for the fact that the song is so open in meaning that any listener can supply his or her own meaning in order to have the emotional experience. It's a great way to bond with an audience. I guess the next time I play it out I'll get a video shot and post it up.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
27-02-2017, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2017 02:39 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(25-02-2017 05:13 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I love "Wish you were here" which of course was written for Sid Barrett.

I've followed Pink Floyd from Dark Side of the Moon through their breakup. Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Division Bell, and so on. When you have a band like that with two very strong willed people (Roger Waters & David Gilmour) things just go the way they do. I have to admit that I've always been a huge David Gilmour fan since he was my inspiration to learn how to play the guitar. I've bought every single album release by the band (before and after). The Division Bell came out the week before I started Rookie School for the FD. I can even appreciate some of their earlier work though it's a little to progressive for my tastes.

My favorite era of theirs was when the creative tension between the two pushed each on to greater heights -- DSotM, WYWH, and Animals (which is my favorite Floyd album, by far).

Before Gilmour became a real presence, to me the band was very murky and at times silly. After Waters seized control, they were to my mind too gloomy to be enjoyable. And without either, I found them rather insipid.

(25-02-2017 05:20 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I currently have my entire CD collection stored away in a box, but there's a select few songs from the collection on the computer. I work in a job where I have to listen carefully through headphones all day, and spend a lot of time either playing or listening to live music, so the rest of the time I let my ears rest and rarely crank up the audio player. When I do, it's usually to listen to a handful of favourites.

If I'm working on a major writing project sometimes I'll put on instrumental jazz or other free-flowing music where there are no lyrics and no strong melodic line. It's about the only thing I can listen to that doesn't hijack my attention away from the writing.

Jazz has been where my musical mind has been lately. I play much blues on my guitar, but I've always loved guys like Stan Getz, Wes Montgomery, 'Trane, and so on. Lately (the last few years) I've been working hard at incorporating jazz voicings and rhythms into my blues, so that at points you're hearing blues, at other points you're hearing jazz, and all the way through you're getting a surprise.

I most enjoy instrumental jazz when I take a nice country drive: a winding road overhung by trees, and Joe Lovano or Django Reinhardt cranked in my truck.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post