Poll: What type of music listener are you?
I listen to my favorite songs over and over, on repeat.
I like endless variety in my playlists.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What type of music listener are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2017, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 02:52 PM by port_of_call.)
What type of music listener are you?
I have friends who can name every artist and song title that ever existed. I'm no good at that kind of trivia. But I've always wished I had that superpower. People just seem to have an instant connection over the music they know about in common.

As a music listener, I tend to settle on a playlist of 4-10 songs I want to hear over and over. When I wrote essays in college, I had a playlist of just 4 songs to get me in the writing zone.

So I was excited to learn in a recent Freakonomics podcast that the author Michael Lewis also creates playlists for writing. He describes the music in his writing playlists as "up" music - he didn't know how else to describe it. I loved this because I, too, am horrible at naming musical genres. I have to stick to describing what the music makes me feel.

Then again, I know people who can't stand listening to the same song twice in a month.

What about you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2017, 03:01 PM
RE: What type of music listener are you?
There is one band that I listen to a LOT. I have all but their most recent releases as I do not care for the change they have made in their overall style. I have literally worn CDs out and bought replacements. I never tire of hearing them though there are a couple songs I will skip over now and then. I usually listen them in the car if I don't care for what is my preset XM stations.

But I also love my Pandora which is about as random as it gets. There is everything from Motown, to classic rock and blues, to EDM, to rappers like Eminem and Tupac...and other stuff in between. That's what I listen to at work, when cleaning and doing things around the house, or am out in the pool...I have recently added grocery shopping as a good time to listen to listen.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Classical and opera.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
05-02-2017, 03:21 PM
The kind that only listens to good music Tongue

Every genre, even every band, has their good ones & bad ones. My only loyalty is to the music, itself. I wish fewer singers (who happen to play no instruments of their own) would stop coming across so full of themselves, cuz they aren't needed for a catchy tune. Laugh out load And it's their singing that has to fall in step with the music, not the other way around! Shy

So. Good music! Thumbsup

[+] 5 users Like TheGulegon's post
05-02-2017, 03:36 PM
My ears are trained to hear every instrument on each track. As a result I need to constantly move. Any music I love, I ignore and leave behind.

I recall Keith Jarrett speaking of a conversation he had with Miles Davis. Miles told him the reason he never played ballads anymore was because "He loved them too much."

My favourite music is music I've never heard before that may teach me something new.

Rock/pop music is now approximately 87 years old. I can no longer learn from it. I am hopeful this will change.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
05-02-2017, 04:09 PM
I get caught by the pieces I love the most and listen to them many times, sometimes reading along with the score. I can hear the notes in my head just from reading the score, of course, but it's always interesting to hear how musicians realize the score as they're performing it.

I also listen many times to the pieces I have to memorize; it's easier for me to memorize when I have the music looping in my head--and unfortunately, gone are the days when I could memorize practically anything after I'd played it a couple of times.

It's almost impossible for me to write with music playing in the background.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
05-02-2017, 05:59 PM
If I find a song I really like, I play it over and over again until I tire of it, then I don't listen again for a long time. It drives my husband crazy. Smile

But I have some favorite musicians/albums I listen to quite often on repeat. jane's addiction, NIN, and a few more

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
05-02-2017, 06:14 PM
(05-02-2017 05:59 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  If I find a song I really like, I play it over and over again until I tire of it, then I don't listen again for a long time. It drives my husband crazy. Smile

But I have some favorite musicians/albums I listen to quite often on repeat. jane's addiction, NIN, and a few more

Agreed! I'm always surprised to find songs I think I will always want to listen to. It's that feeling of never being satisfied. But then eventually I do get tired of the song or find another one that I crave more. Usually there's a lull in between, when I kind of forget about music for a moment.
[+] 1 user Likes port_of_call's post
05-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Meh, both. When I'm driving I have a big playlist composed of a wide variety of music. When I work out, I have about 20 or so go to songs that are mostly heavy metal or instrumental/epic (Five Finger Death Punch and Two Steps From Hell, for example).

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
05-02-2017, 06:26 PM
After years - decades, actually - of being involved in the industry as both a player and in management, now I very very seldom listen to music.

Haven't put a CD in my player in well over a year. When the radio is on in the car it's almost always CBC (no commercials) or CFRB (talk radio, tons of commercials) and when they're highlighting a local band I'll turn it off and wait the three minutes until the news or traffic report comes on.