Poll: What type of music listener are you?
I listen to my favorite songs over and over, on repeat.
I like endless variety in my playlists.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What type of music listener are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2017, 11:14 PM
RE: What type of music listener are you?
(05-02-2017 04:09 PM)julep Wrote:  I can hear the notes in my head just from reading the score, of course, but it's always interesting to hear how musicians realize the score as they're performing it.

It's cool eh? Smile

(05-02-2017 05:59 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  If I find a song I really like, I play it over and over again until I tire of it, then I don't listen again for a long time. It drives my husband crazy. Smile

But I have some favorite musicians/albums I listen to quite often on repeat. jane's addiction, NIN, and a few more

I recall Jane's had a huge impact.

(05-02-2017 06:26 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  After years - decades, actually - of being involved in the industry as both a player and in management, now I very very seldom listen to music.

Haven't put a CD in my player in well over a year. When the radio is on in the car it's almost always CBC (no commercials) or CFRB (talk radio, tons of commercials) and when they're highlighting a local band I'll turn it off and wait the three minutes until the news or traffic report comes on.

Yeah I get it. After time your ears get sore. And then you end up hearing the same old shit. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2017, 11:46 AM
I don't do playlists as such. But at home (the only place I really have any control over what I listen to), I play CDs almost all the time. If I'm at home and not sleeping, chances are very high that a CD will be playing, no matter what else I might be doing.

To answer the poll question, though -- if I really like a piece of music, I want to hear it fairly often, but not exclusively, and definitely not "over and over". I prefer variety. My ideal radio station would be one that goes for years without ever playing the same song twice. One of the major reasons I listen to CDs rather than radio is that most radio stations can't even get through a day without repeating songs. I like variety, not repetition. The exception to this is complex, multi-layered music like a lot of classical and jazz, where there is so much going on that you can't take it all in on one hearing. Stuff like that I might listen to a few times in a row (but repeating an entire CD rather than just a single track), but I only occasionally do this.

What kind of music do I listen to? Just about anything -- rock, blues, jazz, classical, so-called "world music", etc. But at this point in my life, 90% or more of my listening is classical or jazz. For the last few weeks, I have been listening to almost nothing but Bach (but not the same pieces over and over!).
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
06-02-2017, 12:01 PM
I primarily listen to music on Soundcloud. I add new songs to my like list from the channels that I follow. But I will most often listen to my liked list over and over, and check on the subscription updates every so often to add more good songs.
06-02-2017, 12:48 PM
Endless variety. I have pretty eclectic taste in music.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
24-02-2017, 05:54 PM
I was going to take your poll, but I don't do "playlists".

Sometimes I'll play a piece repeatedly for a while, usually when I'm trying to learn it or cop a lick.
Otherwise, I either select each tune as the mood strikes me, play through a whole album or three, or turn on the radio.

Yeah, yeah, I know... ancient technology.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
24-02-2017, 06:10 PM
I like variety, of both songs and genres.
24-02-2017, 06:26 PM
I have music from 3 Doors Down through ZZ Top. All kinds of blues and metal from the '60s on up. Stuff by Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Black Sabbath. I'm all over the map. I play it on random, so sometimes the shift can be pretty jarring. Smile Sometimes I do just pick a genre, especially if we just heard something by Armik, and then something by Judas Priest comes up on the list. Laugh out load It's all good.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
24-02-2017, 06:50 PM
I have every thing from ABBA to Zeppelin.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
24-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Eclectic. I am partial to the various African styles of guitar performance. It took me quite a while to start understanding the method behind the madness.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
24-02-2017, 07:42 PM
I'm kinda stuck in the 60ies and early 70ies. Two reasons for that. A brother being 15 years my senior and playing his music at full volume when I was a child and being a teen in the disco years, a style we hated. So we regressed by a decade.
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post