What type of person would you trust with godly powers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2013, 03:24 AM
Question RE: What type of person would you trust with godly powers?
I'm curious though, what leads to corruption? Would it be possible to have absolute power, and use it to remove your own deficiencies, thus stopping you from falling into corruption and abusing your powers?

While the old adage "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" is a well reasoned statement, it is inherently anthropomorphic. We've only ever used that concept in relation to other humans or human constructs, such as angels, demons, spirits, or gods.

If for example the source of corruption is just wants and desire, humans seem to have an evolutionary drive to fulfill their desires at the expense of others. The more power one has to exert their will over others, the greater the abuse of power. But if you where able to satiate or rid yourself of all wants and desires without causing any harm or suffering, would that truly lead to corruption? I don't know, I find it hard grasp such a psyche, because it is so fundamentally not human.

Huh

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2013, 05:36 AM
RE: What type of person would you trust with godly powers?
Read all that - it's still my dog.

He has better people judgement than anyone I have ever met.

He doesn't mess with anyone unless they are agressive.

He would give the world peace.

He would make people take long walks and throw balls, thusly eliminating obesity.

He would make sure everyone had plenty of food in their fridge, especially steak, in case he drops by.

He is a proponent of fast, humane slaughter of animals we eat.

He would make sure everyone got hugs and cuddles.

He loves kids and would make sure they run and play and have fun.

He would make sure that no one hurts others, he perceives that as agression and intervenes.

Dogs are more humane than humans.

So the world would be a better place and besides, it's obvious, since dog spelled backward is god.

That said, I used to live near a tiny town in central California called Banta. They had a donkey as major. He lived in a nice little pasture in the middle of town, behind the restaurant. He was re-elected every time. I am not kidding.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-01-2013, 05:51 AM
I trust myself. I mean, I would only hurt the ones that are asking for it. While the god that is said to exist acts like a kid hovering over an ant hill with a magnifying glass, if he exists.
17-01-2013, 06:25 AM
(17-01-2013 05:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  Read all that - it's still my dog.

He has better people judgement than anyone I have ever met.

He doesn't mess with anyone unless they are agressive.

He would give the world peace.

He would make people take long walks and throw balls, thusly eliminating obesity.

He would make sure everyone had plenty of food in their fridge, especially steak, in case he drops by.

He is a proponent of fast, humane slaughter of animals we eat.

He would make sure everyone got hugs and cuddles.

He loves kids and would make sure they run and play and have fun.

He would make sure that no one hurts others, he perceives that as agression and intervenes.

Dogs are more humane than humans.

So the world would be a better place and besides, it's obvious, since dog spelled backward is god.

That said, I used to live near a tiny town in central California called Banta. They had a donkey as major. He lived in a nice little pasture in the middle of town, behind the restaurant. He was re-elected every time. I am not kidding.

I'm convinced. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2013, 08:09 AM
You wouldnt be "you" if you were granted god like powers. You would know that there is no separation, that their is no "good" or "bad" as they are just definitions to describe something. You would understand the universe and that extends beyond this planet, that this planet is just a teeny part of something vastly greater. It wouldnt be "infinite" because you would know everything there is to know.

Things that may seem important to you and me and even this planet would pale in comparison to the knowledge of the whole universe. Unless you focused your attention on something. Even if you focused your attention you would have to try and forget everything else, as everything else would be valid in the bigger picture of infinite knowledge you posses.

You would lose your personality as you would understand everything that has defined you up until that moment, your whole "being" would be just as important as it isnt, because in living in the universe you are part of it, but not all of it.

What form would you take? It would seem irrelevant in the infiniteness of everything.

Its like a paradox Consider

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
17-01-2013, 11:21 AM
(17-01-2013 08:09 AM)bemore Wrote:  You wouldnt be "you" if you were granted god like powers. You would know that there is no separation, that their is no "good" or "bad" as they are just definitions to describe something. You would understand the universe and that extends beyond this planet, that this planet is just a teeny part of something vastly greater. It wouldnt be "infinite" because you would know everything there is to know.

Things that may seem important to you and me and even this planet would pale in comparison to the knowledge of the whole universe. Unless you focused your attention on something. Even if you focused your attention you would have to try and forget everything else, as everything else would be valid in the bigger picture of infinite knowledge you posses.

You would lose your personality as you would understand everything that has defined you up until that moment, your whole "being" would be just as important as it isnt, because in living in the universe you are part of it, but not all of it.

What form would you take? It would seem irrelevant in the infiniteness of everything.

Its like a paradox Consider

That was beautifully worded and thought provoking, well done. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Me Angel

And, Satan!!!!!!!!! Evil_monster

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
17-01-2013, 10:21 PM
(17-01-2013 10:04 PM)Chase Wrote:  And, Satan!!!!!!!!! Evil_monster

Aren't we already trusting Satan with godlike power? Even more than godlike, since he must be stronger than god.

As I see it, Satan is so powerful he can fight with god and almost win. He is immortal, knows all our thoughts and dreams, can do any old magical miracle thing he wants to - sounds like omnipotence and omniscience. Satan can tempt me at any time. I must be ever vigilant against temptation. I don't want to be tempted. I want that jerk to leave me completely the hell alone (pun intended). But he can mess with me anyway, whenever he wants to.

I am told that God, on the other hand, "cannot" protect me unless I accept him as my lord and Jesus as my savior. I don't particularly want to be religious, but if God and Satan exist, I really truly want God to protect me from Satan.

So, I want God to meddle but he can't. I don't want Satan to meddle but he can.

Seems like Satan is top dog in that twisted mythology. Which actually explains quite a bit.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
18-01-2013, 03:42 AM
(17-01-2013 10:21 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 10:04 PM)Chase Wrote:  And, Satan!!!!!!!!! Evil_monster

Aren't we already trusting Satan with godlike power? Even more than godlike, since he must be stronger than god.

As I see it, Satan is so powerful he can fight with god and almost win. He is immortal, knows all our thoughts and dreams, can do any old magical miracle thing he wants to - sounds like omnipotence and omniscience. Satan can tempt me at any time. I must be ever vigilant against temptation. I don't want to be tempted. I want that jerk to leave me completely the hell alone (pun intended). But he can mess with me anyway, whenever he wants to.

I am told that God, on the other hand, "cannot" protect me unless I accept him as my lord and Jesus as my savior. I don't particularly want to be religious, but if God and Satan exist, I really truly want God to protect me from Satan.

So, I want God to meddle but he can't. I don't want Satan to meddle but he can.

Seems like Satan is top dog in that twisted mythology. Which actually explains quite a bit.

[Image: 432-Why-Satan-is-More-Powerful-than-God.-.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-01-2013, 06:30 AM
I would trust only myself, and that is also highly questionable. It would take a tremendous effort to stay objective and act the way one should act with powers.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson