What type of person would you trust with godly powers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2013, 08:02 AM
RE: What type of person would you trust with godly powers?
I personally think that having just omniscience would just be awful. To know everything would be to not have any emotions. Almost all negative emotions come from the unknown. We get angry at what we don't understand or at the unexpected. Omniscience would eliminate this. It would also eliminate your curiosity. I'm at a loss as to weather you'd be awed by your knowledge, depressed by it, or ultimately ambivalent about it. Probably the last one, because you'd know exactly why you might have felt those other emotions, you'd see right through your own psychology, leaving yourself naked and bare before your own infinite knowledge.

Just see the movie 'Watchmen' and tell me if you'd want to be Dr. Manhattan, with the knob turned up to 11.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-01-2013, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't trust any person...but lets say for arguments sake that I HAD to choose someone to endow this power too...then who would it be? An anarchist. If that wasn't an option I would choose a Marxist. Though they are politically polar opposites, they are the idealists would would probably fair the best with their good intentions, and in my opinion they both have the same goal though they go in opposite directions to get to the same place. Again, if choosing no one was an option I would choose no one.

18-01-2013, 11:39 AM
[Image: cutting-clowns-like-a-boss_c_1005330.jpg]

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
18-01-2013, 12:43 PM
With godly powers? I'd entrust them to a wise person.
Nowadays people don't even know what wisdom is. They rather try to deny it, relativizing it away, saying the modern pseudo-philosopher crap that it doesn't exist, which has been disproven in the beginning by the three great ones.
I know actually of about 2-3 people who are really wise. Of course in the world there are many more of them, but far less than people deem worthy of following. People follow any self-confident idiot who agrees with them.

And maybe I'd entrust these powers to myself, I'm not so wise, but I recognize wisdom when I see it. Anyway, first thing, I'd use them to study more, first from these 2-3 people and then from people that disagree with me. I'd bring my wisdom up to the standard and then we'd see.

However, there is no guarantee that any of the wise people would actually use these powers or use them in a way noticeable for us. If things would improve, then in such a way that we'd think we did it ourselves, so our ability to function as self-reliant people wouldn't be destroyed.

Anyway, that was a lesson I got from Futurama. Any problem with that? As some alchemists used to say, a wise one can find the [philosopher's] Stone in dung, while a foolish man will not believe it is in gold.

19-01-2013, 12:24 AM
(18-01-2013 12:43 PM)Luminon Wrote:  With godly powers? I'd entrust them to a wise person.
Nowadays people don't even know what wisdom is. They rather try to deny it, relativizing it away, saying the modern pseudo-philosopher crap that it doesn't exist, which has been disproven in the beginning by the three great ones.
I know actually of about 2-3 people who are really wise. Of course in the world there are many more of them, but far less than people deem worthy of following. People follow any self-confident idiot who agrees with them.

And maybe I'd entrust these powers to myself, I'm not so wise, but I recognize wisdom when I see it. Anyway, first thing, I'd use them to study more, first from these 2-3 people and then from people that disagree with me. I'd bring my wisdom up to the standard and then we'd see.

However, there is no guarantee that any of the wise people would actually use these powers or use them in a way noticeable for us. If things would improve, then in such a way that we'd think we did it ourselves, so our ability to function as self-reliant people wouldn't be destroyed.

Anyway, that was a lesson I got from Futurama. Any problem with that? As some alchemists used to say, a wise one can find the [philosopher's] Stone in dung, while a foolish man will not believe it is in gold.
Or, you'd give them to yourself and use your omnipotence to make yourself wiser than anyone has ever been. And with all that power and wisdom, you would move upon the face of the universe and you would see that it is not good. And you would, in your infinite wisdom, say "Let there be light!".

(because, you see, you would have transcended all this earthly mortal crap and have no reason to care about it, and you would know you could do better than the last guy who let there be light)

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
19-01-2013, 07:24 AM
(19-01-2013 12:24 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Or, you'd give them to yourself and use your omnipotence to make yourself wiser than anyone has ever been. And with all that power and wisdom, you would move upon the face of the universe and you would see that it is not good. And you would, in your infinite wisdom, say "Let there be light!".

(because, you see, you would have transcended all this earthly mortal crap and have no reason to care about it, and you would know you could do better than the last guy who let there be light)
Well, I already have a good idea of these transcendental things. It's the worldly everyday life and mundane details that I need to work out somehow. (talk about unbalanced development of personality) As for the world, everything went mostly fine as it can go on such a planet, only we developed our emotions way too strong than they should be, which resulted in millenia of dark ages and uncontrollable desires dominating our otherwise considerable intellect. Emotions are a good servant, but a bad master, that's the world problem today. But we might be right now in a stage where this "plan" of a development in the way of least resistance gets back on track and even may become a common knowledge. Our western civilization is ignorant in that, the eastern civilization is powerless. This may change by combining the best of both.

According to my occult sources, some beings are indeed busy transcending the earthly crap, but they're governed by the power of love. They may develop by helping us out, they may hang out around here for a millenium or two to help us out and then go. Love is a powerful non-discriminatory binding force that gives us a reason to care, to make us miserable when someone else's miserable.

19-01-2013, 08:03 AM
(19-01-2013 07:24 AM)Luminon Wrote:  According to my occult sources [...]
Let me stop you right there. Dodgy

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post