What variety of atheist are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Big Grin What variety of atheist are you?
Are you a hardcore "there is no God and I will never believe such a thing" atheist? Are you an agnostic atheist? Do you believe that Jesus existed or was even a good man? Do you hate anything and everything related to God and/or Jesus? What's your philosophy on God and life? Things like that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2011, 06:38 PM
RE: What variety of atheist are you?
I would call myself an agnostic atheist as I cannot categorically prove there is no god. However, I do believe with every fibre of my being that god doesn't exist. I like Russell's Teapot analogy, I cannot categorically prove there is no teapot in the asteroid belt but I completely believe that there isn't and live my life as though there isn't.

I think Jesus probably existed but not the way Christians portray him. I think he was a mortal man who either purposely set out to con those around him into thinking he was the son of god, never claimed to be the son of god and that bit was added after his death by people for personal/political gain or never claimed to be the son of god and people mistook his teachings as claiming he was the son. I don't know enough about the topic to make a decision between the three possibilities yet, I'll think about it some more when I've read Mark Fulton's book.

I believe there is no 'meaning' or 'purpose' to life apart from what we each personally ascribe to our own lives, I think our obsession with these things as a species my be a by-product of our evolution (a point I explain here).

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
17-08-2011, 07:34 PM
I am the type of atheist that wholeheartedly believes in god, and worships him all the freaking time cause he's a pretty great guy.

Oh no wait... no that's a very poor definition of me.

As far as god is concerned I'm a sexy teapot.
[Image: F82E2839.jpg]

As far as religion is concerned I'm a docile creature best represented by this picture here...

[Image: ap2.jpg]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2011, 08:39 PM
(17-08-2011 06:13 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  Are you a hardcore "there is no God and I will never believe such a thing" atheist? Are you an agnostic atheist? Do you believe that Jesus existed or was even a good man? Do you hate anything and everything related to God and/or Jesus? What's your philosophy on God and life? Things like that.

I put god on the same level as the Tooth Fairy and the Bogeyman, and I am 100% certain that none of them exist.

The chance that I will one day believe in God is the same as the chance that you will one day believe in the Tooth Fairy.

I don't believe that Jesus ever existed.

"Hate" is a strong word - I don't hate God or Jesus because I regard them as silly myths. I don't hate the ordinary things that religions and religious people do, but there are some things they have done that I do hate: Crusades, Inquisitions, Witch Burning, Child Abuse, Fraud, Revisionism to name a few.

I have no philosophy about god.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see
17-08-2011, 08:41 PM
I used to get angry about any religious stuff brought up or seen. Now I have more of a pity outlook.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
17-08-2011, 09:19 PM
The 'don't-believe-in-God' kind.
18-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Even though I was raised in a violent Methodist family, forced to believe "or else!" I never really bought the whole thing, but back then as a kid I had good reason to be too scared to admit it, even to myself.
I don't believe at all anymore, and probably never really did. I see the whole god thing as an ancient way to explain the unexplainable, something that simply no longer belongs in our society in this day and age.
We now have science to give us answers, or at least good theories, and we no longer need the ridiculous mythology holding us back from further learning. The people that want to say science is wrong and stupidity is right have been a thorn under the saddle of science since day one. To stand in the way of medical advances while they themselves are still alive do to stints and open heart surgeries is a complete contradiction to me.
In a world that is over crowded and running out of room, not to mention drinkable water, and food in many places, I can't see any logic in the "Go forth and multiply like rabbits" idealism. It's simply "for the birds". As far as the old "Onward christian soldiers" attitude, it simply shows their lust for violence, another back step of religions.
Then there is the old creationism thing. We were not created, and to believe such "Tom Foolery" is once again standing in the way of discovering what the truth really is about our origin. There are more of us standing up against the foolishness of religion every day, but the "biblenauts" as I call them are pushing harder toward their foolish goals of standing in the way of learning, and expanding our knowledge. They want to change the constitution to teach religion in schools, which is a direct violation of the separation of church and state, in my opinion.
Our kids need to learn, not be misled by ancient mythology, because they are the ones who will be stuck trying to clean up the mess that we all have created. Religion will not be a part of learning the things that they will need to know to accomplish this monumental feat, instead it will hamper their every attempt to learn that which is needed to recognize the changes that are going to be mandatory to to accomplish this goal.
So to answer your question "What variety of atheist am I?"
Definitely the "I hate the complications set forth by the foolish beliefs of religion" type. I absolutely DO NOT believe in any gods, nor do I believe there is any possibility that there ever was, or could presently be one! If I am one day found to be wrong, which I don't believe is possible, then I would have to say at that time that this god does not deserve any praise.

Many years ago, I laughed my ass off watching "Star Trek-Next Generation" when Warf said "The Klingon empire killed their gods many centuries ago. They were simply more trouble than they were worth!"

It's time for us to take the same route!

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
[+] 1 user Likes blasphemy fan's post
18-08-2011, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2011 10:53 PM by DeepThought.)
I'm agnostic atheist. My opinion is there is no God. I can't prove that and if I come across evidence to the contrary I'll change my mind.

I couldn't live my life with the agnostic Schroedinger's cat box. It's not mentally satisfying to me. Tongue

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
18-08-2011, 03:22 AM
Agnostic atheist. I'm still seeking and searching for the truth of life. Religion makes less and less sense to me now, but I'm still interested in what religious people say Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
18-08-2011, 05:26 AM
i really dont give a shit, i will never believe in bollocks.

unless i see a man with a beard in the clouds.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb