What variety of atheist are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2011, 12:02 PM
RE: What variety of atheist are you?
@BlackEyedGhost: I hope I haven't offended you. I'm trying my best to be as courteous as possible. But I am also trying to help you. I'll understand if you need some time to think about things. Maybe you should take some time away from the forums for a bit so you can gather yourself? I may do the same. This is some heavy stuff. We don't live on bread alone, eh?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Hey black eyed ghost...

You (and jesus) have implied that some people are swine. If you are completely honest about this, the reason you feel that way is that people don't agree with you. You claim it is because people haven't taken you seriously, but that is clearly not the case. Now you're sulking, and going away, and doing the very thing you are accusing others of...not addressing the arguments.

I sense that you feel hurt, and that's a shame. I don't think people as a whole deliberately try to hurt others on this forum. It can appear that way because of the limits of the medium.

I think the real reason you are upset is because deep down you realise the weakness of your own position. If that be the case...guess what...it doesn't matter! You are no less valuable or interesting as a person because you have been wrong. How boring is it to be right all the time! Please cheer up and stay in the conversation. Everyone on here is part of the human family.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2011, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2011 06:24 PM by DeepThought.)
(24-08-2011 11:06 AM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  If I didn't answer you thus far, I've decided not to. If that's the case, go back to where I said "for those of you who care". Any relevant answers should be found by looking into the things I listed. As for archaelogical evidence for the consistency of the books of the Bible, look into it yourself. I'm done spoon-feeding answers that no one cares about.

(22-08-2011 09:56 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  As for those of you who care, look into necessary factors for life existing, ireducible complexity, and the historicity of Jesus. Never a bad idea to read about Jesus in the New Testament either. Good stuff.

Irreducible complexity is faulty, I have looked into it and there is no point repeating myself. Have you even looked into the examples creationists use? like the bacterial flagellum, the eye, bombardier beetle, etc? All of them have been explained quite well in a step by step manner that makes allot of sense.

For the RNA Replication, cytosine, etc... I think it is your job to look into it and understand more about it. You just read stuff you find on godandscience.org or answersingenesis and think that's the complete picture?

I see no need to address any of the above since your way of thinking is faulty from the very beginning. You have the funny idea that not believing x means it can only be y. Why cant it be z?

You don't have evidence for y so it makes your case even more ridiculous. Then you say read about Jesus and associated history - that is proof of creation. lol - how lame is that?

You are a young earth creationist aren't you! Just about every field of science contradicts your worldview so why don't you address all that first?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
24-08-2011, 06:37 PM
My favorite part about 'intelligent design' is that 100% of the attempted 'proof' for it (At least, the stuff that is even remotely scientific) is just disproofs of evolution. It's absurd.

All right people. Hypothetical. Evolution is disproved tomorrow. Fossil rabbits in the precambrian, and what have you. How do you then go about proving that it was a designer, and not some other, unknown natural process? And more importantly, if you can prove there was a designer, how do you connect that with your god? After all, Genesis 2 has man as the first living thing (if you don't count Yahweh). Sure Genesis 1 has something approximating (A few flaws, but pretty close) the evolutionary timeline, but A) It really screws up the cosmological timeline, and B) It contradicts the very next chapter.

Irreducible complexity IS, in fact, something that would disprove evolution. However, it has never been demonstrated, might indeed even be impossible to demonstrate, and even if it was demonstrated, would merely disprove evolution. Not prove design. You can talk all you want about how life on Earth could be designed, and I'll agree with you. But there's no evidence for it, and plenty of evidence against it.

Check out the long-term e. coli experiment. In this experiment bacteria were seen to develop the ability to consume a new kind of food, during the duration of the experiment. In fact, the ability required a previous useless trait to have evolved. Just a random doodad in their genes that didn't help or hinder, but was necessary for progressing along the road. Look up the experiment. Read it. If you still believe in a creator, then either you believe the lab is lying, or that the creator wants us to believe in evolution (Also that he is an absurd micro-manager, very sneaky, and very deceitful).
24-08-2011, 07:44 PM
(24-08-2011 06:37 PM)Sines Wrote:  All right people. Hypothetical. Evolution is disproved tomorrow. Fossil rabbits in the precambrian, and what have you.

We'd still have the "random chance" problem we can observe without postulating evolution: The messy, haphazard business of human reproduction. The genetics chapter in ever introductory biology textbook shows that the odds of inheriting genes resemble the odds of poker hands.

Ironically the people conceived in vitro have a better claim to some "intelligent design" in their origins than the rest of us.
25-08-2011, 03:13 PM
A question about the precambrian rabbit. Would it still have the same DNA sequence or would it be an identical yet separate species? As long as it's DNA suggests it had no later ancestors it would just prove that some ideas happen more than once.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
25-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Do said fossils feature sharp, pointy teeth?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
25-08-2011, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 09:10 PM by BlackEyedGhost.)
@Mark Fulton Imagine that I'm genuinely right and know it. Then imagine that the people here rejected my position repeatedly even when I presented it as logically and simply as I could. Then the picture changes a bit when I use that quote. The problem isn't that I see the weakness of my position, but that you don't see the strength of it. So I feel essentially like you've plugged your ears, so I decided to stop talking. That's why I said I'm done with debates here. (btw, when I say you here, I don't just mean Mark Fulton)
@Cardinal Smurf I could care less about people being offensive to me. I actually like it when people go nuts on me. It's a learning experience. What I can't stand is people ignoring reason when it's laid out in front of them. I've taken time to think about these things and nothing anyone here has said was unexpected.
25-08-2011, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 09:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-08-2011 08:52 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  Imagine that I'm genuinely right and know it. Then imagine that the people here rejected my position repeatedly even when I presented it as logically and simply as I could.

Your position as presented is not simple enough to persuade me. Your position as presented is not logical enough to persuade me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-08-2011, 09:20 PM
"Imagine that I'm genuinely right and know it" <-- The mindset of someone who has plugged their ears.

Projection?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post