What variety of atheist are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2011, 05:45 PM
RE: What variety of atheist are you?
@BlackEyedGhost: Exactly how did you expect us to react to your information? Do you think we are all simply blind to logic? Did you think you would come rescue us?

Let us, for argument's sake, suppose that I agree with all your arguments. Suppose that suddenly some light switches on in my head and I say "Huh. Funny. I never thought of it that way before. You must be right."

Then what?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 04:01 AM
(29-08-2011 05:45 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  @BlackEyedGhost: Exactly how did you expect us to react to your information? Do you think we are all simply blind to logic? Did you think you would come rescue us?

Let us, for argument's sake, suppose that I agree with all your arguments. Suppose that suddenly some light switches on in my head and I say "Huh. Funny. I never thought of it that way before. You must be right."

Then what?

Don't you know? You're given permission to stop thinking. You don't have to ask your fellow man for help or answers anymore. You don't even have to read the Bible..its done for you. You get to stand in a crowd, one hand raised, eyes closed, mindless grin, head wobbling and you get to say "I praise you lord Jeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssss."

You get to join a clique in church based on what brand of clothes you wear and what car you drive. You get lectured to every week by some ambitious pumped up pimply little weazle with his own miserable interpretation of some really bad old literature.

And you get to give a tenth of your pay cheque away.

Sounds great doesn't it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2011, 01:09 PM
"What kind of atheist are you?"

I have zero doubts about the non-existence of gods, demons, angels and like literary creations.

Humankind's wonderful imagination expressed itself thousands of times with tales of all kinds of imaginary things. I wonder why these obvious fictional concoctions ever evolved to be considered real by so many millions? I bet the original tellers of those tales would be laughing in their graves if they could see the present result of what became of their stories.
[+] 3 users Like Olddaad's post
21-09-2011, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2011 12:50 AM by BlackEyedGhost.)
(29-08-2011 05:45 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  @BlackEyedGhost: Exactly how did you expect us to react to your information? Do you think we are all simply blind to logic? Did you think you would come rescue us?

Then what?

That's up to you as much as anything else. You could look into things more, you could ask questions, or you could join the tons of people who are happy stupid. Preferably not the latter, but hey. I'd be happy to continue saying things to someone who's willing to listen and learn from me, but it doesn't seem like that's the case here.
@Lilith Pride Yeah, that was just a comment. I knew what you meant. I just thought the terminology was humorous. When I say I know how to think like an atheist I mean that given any scenario I know very well how to play devil's advocate and look at it as if I was an atheist. It makes quick work of most so-called proofs or evidences of God. However, it also shows me which arguments stand well. So now I can tell when both Christians and atheists are being stupid with their arguments and when they're being smart.
21-09-2011, 01:43 AM
My certainty or not of god's existence doesn't make him more or less likely to exist. Overall I'm relatively convinced there is no god, but my opinion is as irrelevant to reality as anyone else here.

Jesus most likely existed, and it's a silly and pointless thing to nitpick over. Trying to disprove Jesus' existence is just a petulant way for someone to act anti-theist, and it does not (in any way) validate atheism.

I believe what I do through years of reason and rational research. I do not feel superior for my beliefs because, quite frankly, I could be wrong.

I have nothing but loathing and contempt for atheists who feel the need to stick their noses in the air and act like some smug, superior jackass that needs to flaunt their self-importance in everyone else's faces. These are not people with even an iota of intelligence or reason behind their beliefs, merely a need to feel superior. If your idea of atheism is "anti-theism", then you're merely a Bigot.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
22-09-2011, 08:01 PM

I consider myself a 100% God is imaginary, Religion bestows BAD morals, not good, "religion poisons everything" -Christopher Hitchens, and that While the religious may not affect me directly, they still have a substantial impact on government and society that I happen to be a part of.
I am the kind of Atheist who will never start the debate but will always put in my two cents whenever possible and speak against the lies that are taught.

I'm also the kind of Atheist who is reading everything I can, The Bible, Koran, Torah, etc. My favorite endeavor right now is my Meeting With The Mormons and how I am trying to pry into their religion and learn it, from the inside out.
Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2011, 03:59 PM
(22-09-2011 08:01 PM)TheSometimesCynicalWriter Wrote:  I consider myself a 100% God is imaginary, Religion bestows BAD morals, not good, "religion poisons everything" -Christopher Hitchens, and that While the religious may not affect me directly, they still have a substantial impact on government and society that I happen to be a part of.
I am the kind of Atheist who will never start the debate but will always put in my two cents whenever possible and speak against the lies that are taught.

I'm also the kind of Atheist who is reading everything I can, The Bible, Koran, Torah, etc. My favorite endeavor right now is my Meeting With The Mormons and how I am trying to pry into their religion and learn it, from the inside out.

100% leaves you with no flexibility whatsoever. Would'nt 99.9% do?Wink
26-09-2011, 09:18 PM
For me it's simple. I am a de facto atheist. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 that makes me a 9. I believe there is no god simply because I have seen no evidence of it. If evidence materializes, I will be the first to change my mind. Non evidence is dividing by zero to me. I can't know what I don't know. I can't make myself know what I don't know and what I don't know can't make me know it or I would know it. That's all.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
26-09-2011, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2011 09:49 PM by Mr Woof.)
(21-09-2011 01:43 AM)17thknight Wrote:  My certainty or not of god's existence doesn't make him more or less likely to exist. Overall I'm relatively convinced there is no god, but my opinion is as irrelevant to reality as anyone else here.

Relatively convinced; in terms of all I can deduce from the secular, so am I!

Jesus most likely existed, and it's a silly and pointless thing to nitpick over. Trying to disprove Jesus' existence is just a petulant way for someone to act anti-theist, and it does not (in any way) validate atheism.

I believe what I do through years of reason and rational research. I do not feel superior for my beliefs because, quite frankly, I could be wrong.

We can only rationalize within the imperfect rationales of science and logic.

I have nothing but loathing and contempt for atheists who feel the need to stick their noses in the air and act like some smug, superior jackass that needs to flaunt their self-importance in everyone else's faces. These are not people with even an iota of intelligence or reason behind their beliefs, merely a need to feel superior. If your idea of atheism is "anti-theism", then you're merely a Bigot.
Nice avatar Wink
26-09-2011, 11:35 PM
(26-09-2011 09:45 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Nice avatar Wink

Glad you approve ^.^

I live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Went to high school with Thomas Vanek, graduated one year ahead of him, and have been cheering for him since he played for us on the Stampede Big Grin He and Ryan Miller turned me into a rather ardent Buffalo fan!

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]