What variety of atheist are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2011, 05:57 AM
RE: What variety of atheist are you?
I've stated this way too many times =p I will never believe in a god. Calling something a god is giving it respect and admiration and even if there was irrefutable evidence that something exists beyond the world and controls everything it's still not god. Hierarchies are meaningless and people need to stop ranking things by arbitrary guesses.

Do I believe Jesus existed? What is the point of this question? The answer to me would be irrelevant. Billions of crackpots who act the same way as the book suggests have existed and proven themselves completely insane. When someone suggests something like this it's not even just the non-religious who laugh. No one has any actual belief that there is a reincarnation on earth. They believe the bible because it's just a book and not a current event. Christians would condemn the son of god more vehemently than any other group. They don't want a new message they like the one they have.

My philosophy on god and life? Well I do believe that the thoughts and ideas all living things (I repeat all living things) have is carried on in some way. I have a weird belief in some sort of collective consciousness =p But at the same time i look to death as a pretty good thing. Ceasing existence means an end to your own cruel ravaging of the world. To live is to devour life, dying is simply the promotion of other life.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2011, 06:12 AM

I will answer the question about god, as soon as the questioner defines the word.

Once I was asked: “do you believe that electrons exist?”

My answer was: yes.

Being a Physicist, I personally performed many experiments that proved to me that such a phenomenon exists: with specific mass, charge and spin. That is how I define an electron and, since I personally experienced it, of course I believe in its existence, even though I have never seen one.

As soon as somebody defines the word 'god' in the same way and I can repeat the experiment in a reliable, reproducible way, I will believe in it.

Not till then.
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2011, 10:07 AM
(17-08-2011 06:13 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  Are you a hardcore "there is no God and I will never believe such a thing" atheist? Are you an agnostic atheist? Do you believe that Jesus existed or was even a good man? Do you hate anything and everything related to God and/or Jesus? What's your philosophy on God and life? Things like that.

I'm a "militant" atheist. I actually care about whether God exists or not, and will happily discuss the subject with anyone at any time. I know this doesn't make me exceptional or special - if you logged on to this site and went into the forums, you obviously care enough about the question of God's existence to spend some of your day reading and/or writing about it.

I don't believe in any god, although I'd like to believe in the Christian God - who wouldn't want to spend an eternity in Heaven? - but I live by reason, and Christian reasoning is so weak. Their evidence has not yet swayed me, and after reading David Hume (An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, a recommended read) I'm not sure that it's possible for evidence to exist that would sway me. If miracles don't prove the point, what can? But I still welcome arguments.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2011, 10:17 AM

(18-08-2011 10:07 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  if you logged on to this site and went into the forums, you obviously care enough about the question of God's existence to spend some of your day reading and/or writing about it.

I don't care about the existence or otherwise of undefined concepts. If I talk, I insist on knowing what the words I use mean (see my previous post above).

I come to this forum because it is such a relief to finally find sanity and rationality on a forum on the internet.

Plus, I am horrified about the march back to the middle ages and I think it is time to call spades spades, as this forum so often does.
18-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm an anthropological type atheists.
Interested in the origins of belief-systems and morality and social organization and the methodology and tools of power structures.
Interested in all mythologies - which tell a great deal about the people who constructed them - without taking any of them too seriously.
That's not to say i don't have preferences. The judeo-christo-islamic brand of religion could never have been my favourite, even its modern proponents were not such a monumental pain in the global ass, because it's short-sighted, mean and humourless.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
18-08-2011, 11:18 AM

I'm gnostic atheist but agnostic a-deist.
I'm certain that all the gods invented by men does not exist, but an intelligent conscious being or a group of intelligent conscious beings who produced a big bang or more is very possible. Who knows that one day human civilisation survives long enough to advance in science to the point of master the sciences capable of simulating a big bang of our own in some form of computer more advanced than a quantum computer creating a universe in its own dimensions. So perhaps we to were a product of a 'simulation'.
18-08-2011, 11:47 AM
(17-08-2011 06:13 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  Are you a hardcore "there is no God and I will never believe such a thing" atheist? Are you an agnostic atheist? Do you believe that Jesus existed or was even a good man? Do you hate anything and everything related to God and/or Jesus? What's your philosophy on God and life? Things like that.

My position is not to believe anything for which I don't have enough proof, but to be prepared to change my mind if further evidence comes along. So far, I have seen no evidence of the existence of god, therefore I don't believe in god. I find agnosticism a cope-out, a wishy washy position. Are agnostics also insecure about the existence of unicorns? Fairies? Elves?

As for Jesus, I have no problem with the idea of some preacher showing up in Jerusalem 2000 years ago and gaining a following. I know some people seem very keen in disproving the existence of Jesus, and personally I can't see why. There have been preachers and teachers throughout history, so what? Some of the things he said are even groovy, like the Sermon on the Mound.

My outlook of religion is similar to that of, say, illiteracy. I think illiteracy is horrific, that it damages people, and that it should be eliminated. I also know that some people especially uneducated people, don't value education and think it's pretentious and stupid. But I don't hate illiterate people, I hate illiteracy. Same for religion. I hate what it is, and what it does to people, but I don't necessarily hate religious people. But once we have a rational discussion, and they are shown why religion is irrational, and yet they choose to stick with it, then I lose respect for them. Also, while I have no problem with people practicing their religion in the privacy of their homes, I become a rabid dog when they try to impose it on everybody else (gay marriage and abortion laws, teaching creationism in school, political figures praying in public, etc).

My philosophy about life is that life doesn't have objective meaning, it has subjective meaning. There's no higher purpose for us to be alive, but each of us can make our life meaningful to ourselves and those around us.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 2 users Like sy2502's post
18-08-2011, 01:54 PM
I think not a personal belief but religion is evil. I define religion as a belief that many people share. Not all religions really DO evil things, but they've power justified just by the men who are the "creators" or administrators of their religion.
So I think I am an "Religion-is-evil-atheist".
18-08-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm a gnostic atheist when it comes to personal gods (the ones that are supposedly in constant involvement of natural affairs, the ones people pray to, etc.), but an agnostic atheist when it comes to the deistic creator god (the "first cause"). Overall I'd say a 6 in the Dawkins scale.

Basically, if there is a supreme being, most likely it doesn't give a shit about people and it doesn't interfere with natural events.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
18-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I am of the type, " If there is a God I hope it burns in hell for all the evils it created".

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles