What variety of atheist are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2011, 03:10 PM
RE: What variety of atheist are you?
I evolved a lot while on this forum and piked up lots of new ideas.
My position on the atheistic field is in my signature. Explanations in the link. (but looks like you already found that one)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm still trying to define how I feel. I also get the feeling that how I feel about all this is still in flux. But, it's probably somewhere between the descriptions offered earlier in this thread by Lilith Pride and sy2502.

But, I would like to add what death currently means to me. I am no longer inclined to believe in an afterlife. From this I feel I gain a deeper appreciation for how precious human and all life is on our planet and in the known universe. Further, I see great value in human thought and experience, and great tragedy in its loss. As a result, I think sharing one's ideas with their friends, family and community is extremely important, no matter the format. Thus I find a forum such as this to be of great value. Big Grin

We are ephemeral. Our thoughts and experiences in this universe needn't be. Share.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
18-08-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm an agnostic, militant anti-theist.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes daemonowner's post
18-08-2011, 07:49 PM

Technically agnostic atheist, but I utterly despise Christianity(my former religion), Judaism, and Islam. When it comes to them, or likely any other religion, I'm about as sure of their falsity as I am of my own existence. If there is a God out there, then we humans never have known and never will know anything about it.
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2011, 08:43 PM
It depends on what sort of 'gods' we are talking about...

I'm very much so atheist about grand creator gods.
I'm a little more agnostic against beings we could consider gods or god like, as far fetched as it is.
I'm fairly atheist to the gods we know about though, and their stories.

I despise religion, especially Abrahamic faiths.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
20-08-2011, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2011 01:52 PM by BlackEyedGhost.)
(18-08-2011 06:12 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  I will answer the question about god, as soon as the questioner defines the word.

Once I was asked: “do you believe that electrons exist?”

My answer was: yes.

Being a Physicist, I personally performed many experiments that proved to me that such a phenomenon exists: with specific mass, charge and spin. That is how I define an electron and, since I personally experienced it, of course I believe in its existence, even though I have never seen one.

As soon as somebody defines the word 'god' in the same way and I can repeat the experiment in a reliable, reproducible way, I will believe in it.

Not till then.

Do you believe in Abraham Lincoln? Not everything can be tested using the scientific method. That's why we use the legal-historical method often for things like this. As for a definition, start with Creator (natural or supernatural) for God and move from there. Do all the tests you want, I see no way we weren't created.
@Zatamon Also if you'd prefer to use a more legal-historical method I'd suggest looking into the accounts of Jesus. Many were written long after His life would have been (and the lives of those who would have known Him), so they're less reliable, but the accounts found in the Bible are closer (though the gospel of Thomas was likely around the same time). So essentially this is a suggestion to read the gospels of the new testament and study about them.
Thank you everyone who replied to this! I really appreciate the great feedback. Big Grin
20-08-2011, 02:02 PM

(20-08-2011 01:44 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  As for a definition, start with Creator
OK, I will start from there. Give me a definition for 'creator'.
20-08-2011, 03:10 PM

PS. That was the short answer.

The long one requires a little thinking.

We can’t define a word with other undefined words, in a chain, going on forever, or in a circle, because then we are talking nonsense. At some point we have to refer to some reliable, repeatable observation that gives a solid foundation to our epistemological exercise. Without that, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Richard Feynman expresses this beautifully in his “Lectures on Physics” about Newton’s second Law.

“If we have discovered a fundamental law, which asserts that the force is equal to the mass times the acceleration, and then define the force to be the mass times acceleration, we have found out nothing.…Now such things certainly cannot be the content of physics, because they are definitions going in a circle….. One might sit in an armchair whole day long and define words at will, but to find out what happens when two balls push against each other or when a weight is hung on a spring, is another matter altogether, because the way the bodies behave is something completely outside any choice of definitions.”

As far as the ‘legal-historical method’ is concerned, we still need solid foundation. Anecdotes cobbled together thousands of years ago (for political purposes) won’t do. We have been lied to before, by too many ‘authorities’, grinding their own axes.

And we still need a definition for ‘creator’, before we go into proof of its existence. This definition will need to be based on some level of personal experience.

For example, I find it unimaginable (not unbelievable) that there was a world before I was born. How could it be? Yet, I have to believe it because I have seen so many physical proofs and heard so many witnesses (including my parents, obviously older than me) that, unless it was a gigantic conspiracy just to fool me, it had to be true.

I have never seen anything similarly convincing about the existence of a ‘creator’, however undefined we leave that word.
20-08-2011, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2011 03:56 PM by Efrx86.)
Acknowledging that Abraham Lincoln existed doesn't require magical thinking. Just saying.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
20-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Following my previous line of thought: I have seen ample and convincing evidence that I am my parents’ son. In this sense they were my creator. I also assume that their parents were their creator, and so on, all the way back to the primordial ooze.

Alternatively, I can pick an arbitrary point in time, say 6000 years ago, and say that there was a conscious entity who created all of us. Possible? Yes. So is the myth of a wood nymph.

Either way, you run into the concept of infinity (the creator either existed forever or was created itself) that our finite brains are not equipped to process.

Physicists try to circumvent the problem of infinity in time by saying that time was created by the Big Bang. However, the word ‘created’ implies a ‘before’.

Why not rely on Ockham’s Razor and assume the simplest explanation: we don’t have a freaking idea about how/if the world started.
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post