What variety of atheist are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2011, 09:38 PM
RE: What variety of atheist are you?
You still didn't apologize for calling us swine... but oh well I guess I'm supposed to overlook that.

The thing is, until you back your claims, I'm just going to consider what you say an opinion, based on feelings and emotion.

So far you have no proof that life was 'created'... so I'm not going to believe your claim, this is not me being rude... after all, you reject the Iroquois belief that the world is really just a turtle back.

This is why I generally don't debate with creationists... if I don't believe them then my argument is invalid... end of story.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2011, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2011 09:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-08-2011 09:38 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  You still didn't apologize for calling us swine... but oh well I guess I'm supposed to overlook that.

Yup, you are supposed to overlook that. But not until after you've taken the ad hominem back to the pussies.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-08-2011, 07:51 AM
The statement about birth is a huge one. Also look at how uncommon agriculture was. Only 4 groups of people invented agriculture, and those few took over everything. A few working RNA strands is all it takes.The idea of improbability is just a request to human semi-rationality. The rational understanding is that as long as a stronger action occurs once it occurs. No matter how many tests you need to run to reach this event, as long as it can occur then when it does it will take over.

That's the real issue with discussing probability. Every scientific law is up in the air as it's a human observation. The laws are observed to constantly follow the same pattern but we've only ever observed these laws so we have no real understanding of how they break down. Gravity went into question as we got more understanding of voids.

The important thing to remember about atheists is that they know about the same amount of stuff as you do, they just choose to claim your belief is wrong rather than present a definite reason of their own. Many of us are interested in science, but we don't rely on scientific answers to the extent you will rely on god. We will accept not knowing things because we have agreed we don't have to know everything.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-08-2011, 08:10 AM

The question of probability is a tricky one.

When the amount of space, time, complexity is nearly infinite (for all human purposes), the probability of anything (and its exact opposite) is exactly 50%. It is either true or false. We just don’t know because our level of understanding is minimal compared to what may be out there. We have five senses to observe the world with, but there may be phenomena that would require dozens or more senses. We may never become aware of so many things in the universe because we are so limited compared to the range of possibilities.

The other problem believers have is lack of imagination. You just don’t know how long a billion years is. When time drags on (when we are bored), even five minutes seems long. A year will take forever, a lifetime is usually under a hundred years. There are ten times as much in a thousand, a thousand times that much in a million and another thousand times that much in a billion. It is an awfully long time for evolution to try everything.

And Evolution has tried EVERYTHING. Life is just one of the billions of things evolution tried. We don’t see the others because only the viable experiments survived.

Believe me, we are here by accident. The best argument I ever heard about ‘intelligent design’ is: “Look at human history and the current human condition – do you call it intelligent?”

If it is a design, it is a very stupid design indeed.
Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2011, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2011 09:55 AM by BlackEyedGhost.)
@LilithPride No RNA strand will work. In order to duplicate itself, it must first make an inverse which then can't finish a copy of the original. I've said this.
@monkeyshine89 I won't appologise for something I'm not sorry for. I said what I meant and if you're one of the people it was directed towards then I have nothing more to say about it. I base my belief in a creator on evidence just like I base my lack of belief in a giant turtle off of evidence. I see no way that we came about naturally (due to evidence against it, not just ignorance of a way), so I believe an unnatural way: a creator. Seriously, leave me alone and look up whatever you need to. I gave what was necessary when I said "for those of you who care..."
24-08-2011, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2011 10:13 AM by DeepThought.)
(24-08-2011 09:13 AM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  I see no way that we came about naturally (due to evidence against it, not just ignorance of a way), so I believe an unnatural way: a creator.
Have I got this right? You think there is evidence against x therefore it must be caused by y.

Don't you see the flaws with that line of reasoning?

"I see no way that we came about naturally" <---- There is your ignorance... in black and white.

"so I believe an unnatural way: a creator." <---- Based on what evidence? or is it lack of evidence?

Is lack of evidence/understanding equivalent to ignorance?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
24-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Quote: "so I believe an unnatural way: a creator." <---- Based on what evidence? or is it lack of evidence?

@BlackEyedGhost: I would like to add (or I suppose rephrase as my own question) "Where did you get this idea?"

My best guess is you didn't come to this assumption on your own.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
24-08-2011, 11:06 AM
If I didn't answer you thus far, I've decided not to. If that's the case, go back to where I said "for those of you who care". Any relevant answers should be found by looking into the things I listed. As for archaelogical evidence for the consistency of the books of the Bible, look into it yourself. I'm done spoon-feeding answers that no one cares about.
24-08-2011, 11:18 AM
(24-08-2011 11:06 AM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  If I didn't answer you thus far, I've decided not to. If that's the case, go back to where I said "for those of you who care". Any relevant answers should be found by looking into the things I listed. As for archaelogical evidence for the consistency of the books of the Bible, look into it yourself. I'm done spoon-feeding answers that no one cares about.

All I need to invalidate the Bible is Joshua 10:13. The sun goes around the earth, and it can be stopped in the sky to allow mass murder to go on longer. Enough said. Bible meet garbage bin.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
24-08-2011, 11:20 AM
(24-08-2011 11:06 AM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  If I didn't answer you thus far, I've decided not to. If that's the case, go back to where I said "for those of you who care". Any relevant answers should be found by looking into the things I listed. As for archaelogical evidence for the consistency of the books of the Bible, look into it yourself. I'm done spoon-feeding answers that no one cares about.

Actually you shown yourself to be rude and inconsiderate, and that last little statement was the final nail in the coffin. I guess it takes a SMALL amount of bravado to come to an non-religious forum and harp about religion, but that doesn't make up for your little outbursts. I know I'm not perfect and I say some stupid things on the internet, but at least I apologize when I realized I wronged people....

But then again I guess you don't have to worry about it, god has forgiven you, so why do I matter?

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]