What was heaven like?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 07:46 AM
What was heaven like?
So every time I talk to religious people about heaven, it seems all I can get out them is that it is this perfect place that they can't wait to get to. However, when I ask for details they never come back with much except some general ideas .

So I'll ask here, before you became an atheist what was your idea of heaven?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2014, 07:55 AM
RE: What was heaven like?
A generalized state of perfected existence, completely at piece, no pain, no suffering.

Thinking about specifics would lead you nowhere fast, fortunately Christianity teaches you not to think, so it was never a problem.

I've since realized that perfection is only a concept of the human mind with no way to define it, therefore it does not really exist, it is only a product of our imaginations.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
19-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Yeah I get the "I'll be perfect argument" a lot. You would think that people who believe in heaven would at least have like a Top 10 list on how to spent eternity, but the best I get is " I get to serve my God forever."
19-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Never ending keg of beer and sexy bikini clad twins.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
19-09-2014, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2014 08:19 AM by TheInquisition.)
Even as a Christian, I found the idea of eternal servitude off-putting. That wasn't something I wanted to spend much time doing, in my current frame of mind, the idea of eternal servitude is horrifying!

Your concept of what perfection is changes over time and no two people can agree on what it is, this makes heaven an impossible and inherently contradictory concept.

The only way to total peace with no pain, suffering or strife is non-existence, how ironic!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
19-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Some mix of the generic fluffy clouds everywhere type thing and pretty much being mini-God, able to do and make whatever the hell I wanted.

Then I became an atheist and found out apparently it's just constantly serving and praising God after having all memories of your life wiped out.

Kind of a let down.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
19-09-2014, 08:30 AM
(19-09-2014 08:25 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Some mix of the generic fluffy clouds everywhere type thing and pretty much being mini-God, able to do and make whatever the hell I wanted.

Then I became an atheist and found out apparently it's just constantly serving and praising God after having all memories of your life wiped out.

Kind of a let down.

Yeah I'm curious about that. Christians tell me all the time that they will see their families again and be happy forever, but if your memories are wiped, how do you know who your family is?
19-09-2014, 08:35 AM
(19-09-2014 08:06 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  ... bikini clad ...

Why all the modesty?

Sadcryface

(19-09-2014 07:46 AM)Aldiesel18 Wrote:  ...
perfect place that they can't wait to get to

You should encourage that.

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-09-2014, 08:45 AM
In my heaven, leaving a little to the imagination is bliss.
19-09-2014, 08:47 AM
When I was a Christian I never had a clear vision of what heaven should be like. I evaluated all the popular views and none made much since.