What was your 1st computer and the games you played.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2012, 12:07 PM
RE: What was your 1st computer and the games you played.
No idea what kind of comp it was. Something with Dos. Played Oregon Trail, Tetris, Wheel of Fortune.

I mostly remember a black screen with this all over it

C://install/wheeloffortune/run

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Oh my, I don't remember the name of it but it came out in the 70s. It was black and white (no color), data storage was a cassette recorder, it had a 300 baud modem and a cradle for the phone. You could call another computer through the phoneline and paid per minute. There were no games. The "internet" consisted of compuserve and a bunch of individual computers people had hooked up to their phone lines. Some people ran "message boards" back then. One person at a time could use a message board. The owner (sysop) could break in and talk to the user. I put up a board about pets, called the pet board. (no competition for names, and no registration). It would get some 5 calls a day, and people would exchange things about their pets. Then the ferret folk discovered it. Ferrets were illegal to keep in many states, and people who kept them anyway would congregate on the pet board. Now the thing was busy 24 hrs a day.

Oh boy, all the memories with that one. I met my husband at a "computer swap" and we dated via the computer - maybe we were the first couple ever to date online lol.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
09-04-2012, 02:05 PM
(09-04-2012 01:08 PM)Dom Wrote:  Oh my, I don't remember the name of it but it came out in the 70s. It was black and white (no color), data storage was a cassette recorder, it had a 300 baud modem and a cradle for the phone. You could call another computer through the phoneline and paid per minute. There were no games. The "internet" consisted of compuserve and a bunch of individual computers people had hooked up to their phone lines. Some people ran "message boards" back then. One person at a time could use a message board. The owner (sysop) could break in and talk to the user. I put up a board about pets, called the pet board. (no competition for names, and no registration). It would get some 5 calls a day, and people would exchange things about their pets. Then the ferret folk discovered it. Ferrets were illegal to keep in many states, and people who kept them anyway would congregate on the pet board. Now the thing was busy 24 hrs a day.

Oh boy, all the memories with that one. I met my husband at a "computer swap" and we dated via the computer - maybe we were the first couple ever to date online lol.
Oh yeah, I remember those days well. If people didnt have their computers constantly on a phone cradle, there really wasnt any internet. there wasnt any of these "blade" systems we have now. You had to go to local computer groups monthly to keep up on
the phone numbers of the newest stuff out there.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes reverendjeremiah's post
09-04-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't even remember what kind of computer but I remember playing Carmen SanDiego games with my kids, Wheel of Fortune and other random stuff on big ole floppy disks. For printing had the dot matrix printer.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I actually had an Atari before we got our first computer. Centipede and Asteroid was all that mattered.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
09-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Pong.
1975, Bitches.
[Image: Pong.png]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
09-04-2012, 02:43 PM
(09-04-2012 02:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Pong.
1975, Bitches.
[Image: Pong.png]
LOL, my parents bought that game...it was the neatest thing I had ever seen, but I was so young.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I don't know what kind of a computer it was but my first game was Beast
[Image: Beast_001.png]
09-04-2012, 06:00 PM
First computer I owned (not used, but owned) was a Tandy 1000 EX (I would've still owned it, but my father sold it....). I had used computers prior, but that was my first one (I was only like 9 when I had it, although I would read about them and learn for a few years prior).

I'm not 100% certain, but I remember playing the game "Sopwith" frequently--and a game called "Murder in the Museum" from the Big Blue Disk (or really close in names at least for the latter). It wasn't that great for games, but it was MUCH quicker than many other computers I had used and played games on prior.
10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Got an HP Compac. First games.... Kings Quest Collection...otherwise, Diablo II....

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.