What was your 1st computer and the games you played.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2012, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 02:32 AM by Filox.)
RE: What was your 1st computer and the games you played.
Oh, hell no, how could I have forgotten the most awesome game ever? Not one of my first, but it was played on my first PC (x286).

Leisure Suit Larry. First and original part, without a mouse and all the commands should have been input manually, so I had a hard time spelling English words at the age of 9ish... It made me use dictionary for the first time and my worst command was "Tie rope to waist" and then "Tie rope to fence". Or was it the other way around? Anyway, the word "waist" was killing me, never could got it right. Lost a few weeks on that one balcony, until I got everything right.

This one is also very interesting, if you take into account the year it was published and the PC that could run it without problems. It was complicated as hell, a true simulation. The biggest problem was to learn all the commands, at that time there was no Internet and Wikipedia to check the walkthough or the commands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-15_Strike_Eagle_II

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
30-04-2012, 10:14 PM
I don't know if it was the first I EVER played, but Commander Keen was definitely one of the first. X-Wing was up there too, and then TIE Fighter was even better.
01-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Pong, of course -it was ok... but I took it apart to see how it worked and that was really fun. I had another Atari for word processing and it had some games I played just to see how they worked.

I had several small computers - I even remember this tiny Timex thing that ran with a cassette - piece of crap. I had a couple with cassettes.

I finally put together a franken-computer from a Tandy, a Commodore 64, and parts of something else I don't recall (Acer, maybe?), so I could play these bootleg games I got from a cousin, and so I could get on message boards. I loved message boards; good times. Wink

Anyway, I got one game which I felt was going to revolutionize the entire computer world - or at least gaming. Keep in mind, the only graphics were dot matrix and programed in dos... there was a black screen and the outline of an "object" was in white dots. This game was called Fractalus(sp?), and though I didn't really get into games, I decided it was the future of computing and computer graphics. I spent hours figuring out how to program it. One had to imagine the dimensional qualities because because all that was really visible were dotted lines running across the screen, meant to be ridges of an alien landscape. I wasn't much to look at, but how it was programed - it was very different from all the rest - it allowed for multi-dimensional interaction. Dang, I loved that shitty game.

Apple was happening big time. I couldn't afford one but by mid 80s, I did have access to a Power Computer; the workhorse of Macintosh knockoffs. Years went by and I went between Power Computer/Mac and IBM machines. Finally, late 80s/early 90, I was able to find a used hulk of a Mac which I boosted up and up for several years.

Myst was the first real computer game with actual graphics I didn't have to imagine; they were right there, in color, and it was interactive -sort of- no people. In essence, Myst is basically programed much like Fractalus was. I played Myst for a few months until I completed the game a couple of ways. I got bored and really haven't gotten into a game since. Even though I own Myst's sequel, Riven... I've never played it. I guess I just had to get all that game stuff out of my system.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
01-05-2012, 07:51 AM
1st computer was an Apple IIe.

I remember having to insert like three 5" floppies in a row and having to manually prompt them into memory to play games like Number Munchers and stuff when I was a 3rd grader.
01-05-2012, 09:38 AM
(01-05-2012 12:31 AM)kim Wrote:  Pong, of course -it was ok... but I took it apart to see how it worked and that was really fun. I had another Atari for word processing and it had some games I played just to see how they worked.

I had several small computers - I even remember this tiny Timex thing that ran with a cassette - piece of crap. I had a couple with cassettes.

I finally put together a franken-computer from a Tandy, a Commodore 64, and parts of something else I don't recall (Acer, maybe?), so I could play these bootleg games I got from a cousin, and so I could get on message boards. I loved message boards; good times. Wink

Anyway, I got one game which I felt was going to revolutionize the entire computer world - or at least gaming. Keep in mind, the only graphics were dot matrix and programed in dos... there was a black screen and the outline of an "object" was in white dots. This game was called Fractalus(sp?), and though I didn't really get into games, I decided it was the future of computing and computer graphics. I spent hours figuring out how to program it. One had to imagine the dimensional qualities because because all that was really visible were dotted lines running across the screen, meant to be ridges of an alien landscape. I wasn't much to look at, but how it was programed - it was very different from all the rest - it allowed for multi-dimensional interaction. Dang, I loved that shitty game.

Apple was happening big time. I couldn't afford one but by mid 80s, I did have access to a Power Computer; the workhorse of Macintosh knockoffs. Years went by and I went between Power Computer/Mac and IBM machines. Finally, late 80s/early 90, I was able to find a used hulk of a Mac which I boosted up and up for several years.

Myst was the first real computer game with actual graphics I didn't have to imagine; they were right there, in color, and it was interactive -sort of- no people. In essence, Myst is basically programed much like Fractalus was. I played Myst for a few months until I completed the game a couple of ways. I got bored and really haven't gotten into a game since. Even though I own Myst's sequel, Riven... I've never played it. I guess I just had to get all that game stuff out of my system.
What a nerd.

Hawt! Drooling

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
17-09-2012, 11:24 PM
(06-04-2012 02:47 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  The first computer I had was a Commodore 64. I got turned onto it by a friend I played D&D with in the military. I remember the first game I had was a chess game, that I had to program it in, in dos mode. I never was any good at it, but I loved the idea of having a computer and having something I could do to resemble having a life, somewhere.

This was in Ft. Carson, Co and when I went over to Germany I was blown away by a new computer from Commodore called The Amiga 500.

How does it feel to know that if you still had that cassette, it might be worth money?
This was my first experience with the use of Icons you could click and it was like night and day over my 64. Thank Griffin, they had a program that allowed you to buy electronic equipment on time. I hated leaving eye brow prints on the screens of those I looked at in the commissary.

It wasn't a week, before I had one setting in my room and was working on my gaming library. The games I really liked were the Proving ground of the Mad Overlord, Bards Tale and several others that were RPG. Then out came the Dungeons and Dragons games and I was in love.

I was also into simulators, especially the ones from Microprose. I had the stealth fighter and the one for submarines. There was also a tank simulator and I loved Pirates, when it came out.

Sadly, I never went back to the chess game, but I remember the cassette it was on made a fairly convincing Frisbee as it headed out of my car, towards that speed limit sign. lol
18-09-2012, 05:20 AM
First game I ever played was Sonic the Hedgehog on my uncle's Sega.

First I ever owned was Pokemon Red for Game Boy Colour.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
18-09-2012, 05:22 AM
First game I played was Golden Axe for the Sega.

First game I owned was Super Mario Land for my big ass Gameboy. Big Grin

[Image: opforum1.png]
18-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Had an Atari 2600 first, with stupid shit like Break-Out and Adventure. Got a Commodore 128 but was too stupid to by the tape drive, so I tried to hard wire my cassette player to it. And it died. Horribly. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-09-2012, 05:37 AM
I think my first was a commodore 64 clone or something like that with DOS, Crystal Caves was the shit around those times Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggest Puzzle games JaniceGalindo 9 129 30-06-2014 10:14 AM
Last Post: Roger_the_alien
  Difficult Games That Made You Scream! Elskidor 80 852 15-06-2014 12:12 AM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  It's getting harder and harder to find good games. Help? undergroundp 42 959 10-06-2014 08:03 PM
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Suggest some games to try. Sam 55 586 08-06-2014 05:35 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
Wink Honest Trailers: Now Doing Games EvolutionKills 2 94 11-05-2014 08:57 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Nostalgic Video games. Metazoa Zeke 42 418 08-04-2014 11:54 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Best DLC`s and Expantion Packs for Games The Germans are coming 20 656 03-02-2014 01:34 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills