What was your 1st computer and the games you played.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2012, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2012 03:57 PM by Dark Light.)
RE: What was your 1st computer and the games you played.
My grandfather breifly owned and operated a Ham Radio and Computer Shop out of his house. I played two games a lot. The first was an RPG of sorts called Mixed-Up Mother Goose release in '87 in which you were required to do things to complete nursery ryhmes like getting a ladder for Humpty Dumpty, or getting a candlestick for Jack to jump over, and finding the Dish and the Spoon after they ran away following the cow jumping over the moon. The other game was Cop Quest, also released in '87, but I never got far. I was instructed to go on a patrol but before you could do that you needed keys because the squad cars were all locked. None of the keys that I found opened the cars, when trying to get new keys it told you you "You can't drive two cars at once" and if you tried before you got the keys it would warn you that you can't break into cars.

Another game I played a year or so later a lot was an MS-DOS game called Aldo's Adventure also in released '87 .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-Up_Mother_Goose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_Quest

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2012, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2012 04:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
[Image: otrona_attache_1s.jpg]

Otrona Attaché. ... Ahhh, the good old days of CP/M. Good times. Only a pussy programmer needs more than 64K of RAM.

As for video games, we played Pong. Tongue

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-09-2012, 08:28 AM
1997 (Gateway).

[Image: image014.gif]

Now (Cyberpower).

[Image: 01_400.jpg]

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
29-09-2012, 10:49 AM
My first computer was a Tandy 1000, bought in 1986, and the very first games we had were King's Quest and One on One: Dr J vs Larry Bird . I learned MS-DOS batch file programming from a pair of books bought from Radio Shack (home of the Tandy) and resisted the evil of Windows for as long as I could. Eventually the games for DOS got so scarce I switched. "Who needs this mousey-clicky thingy?" I asked. "White text on a black background is just FINE for me!"

I currently run Linux on three computers. Coincidence? XD

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
01-10-2012, 02:27 AM
If by computer you mean something with a keyboard, then it would have to be lode runner on my dad's kaypro.

[Image: kaypro2-150x150.jpg]

It booted from a floppy - no hdd.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
01-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Age of Empires 1 on a computer which's specs I don't know because back then I wasn't that much into it.
But I remember that we had an old school computer from the instute where my mother was teaching PC courses. The computer fulfilled *some* of the requirements like windows 95 and 16 MB RAM
Had to turn the cinematics off because the computer didn't like them Big Grin
Was a crappy computer and didn't last too long Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
01-10-2012, 05:53 AM
(01-10-2012 04:53 AM)Leela Wrote:  Age of Empires 1 on a computer which's specs I don't know because back then I wasn't that much into it.
But I remember that we had an old school computer from the instute where my mother was teaching PC courses. The computer fulfilled *some* of the requirements like windows 95 and 16 MB RAM

Same, Age of Empires 1 that my dad borrowed from a friend at work. Our computer was relatively new at the time. I woke up early before school and played it as much as I could. I loved that game immensely. Resource gathering/empire building RTS games have always been my favourite since then.

There were later games down the road, but my second love was Diablo 2
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
01-10-2012, 06:42 AM
(01-10-2012 04:53 AM)Leela Wrote:  Age of Empires 1 on a computer which's specs I don't know because back then I wasn't that much into it.

Ahh, the good ol' days when 256mb of RAM was fucking mind blowing.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-10-2012, 08:49 AM
completely offtopic but earmuffs I love your new signature!!!

@poolboy, I have never played diablo before, but right now I am, Diablo 3, and it is indeed pretty fun. Just reached lvl 15 Smile

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
01-10-2012, 12:43 PM
My family was poor. I didn't get a computer until I was in my mid-20s and I had my own job. 486 and Tie Fighter was the first game I bought for it. I still love that game.

But at the neighbour's place I spent a lot of informative hours in front of everything from Atari 2600s to Commodore 64s. Heck, the first game I ever played was Pong when I was 5 or 6.