What was your 1st computer and the games you played.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2012, 10:39 PM
RE: What was your 1st computer and the games you played.
(01-10-2012 08:49 AM)Leela Wrote:  completely offtopic but earmuffs I love your new signature!!!

@poolboy, I have never played diablo before, but right now I am, Diablo 3, and it is indeed pretty fun. Just reached lvl 15 Smile

Thanks, haven't decided what to write between the two heads.
"All your base r belong to us" or something like that maybe.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I had a C64, I think I remember playing Centipede or something similar on it. I tried programming stuff but I didn't play many games on it.

As for consoles, my parents wouldn't buy me an Atari but my 2 best friends as a kid had them, so I just went to their house. Eventually I talked my parents into buying me a NES for my birthday.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
21-12-2012, 09:31 PM
FIRST computer game I played? Number munchers. I was the only kid in the classroom that understood how to start the games so I was on it every chance I got.
22-12-2012, 08:53 AM
My parents were given a Pong clone for a wedding present, but I think I only played it years after I had a "real" computer:
#1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_1 - TWO floppy drives and portable with 4MHz chip and 64kB RAM, it could fit under an airline seat. Read it an weep tape jockeys... though it was so non-standard not only did you have to copy programs by hand from books you had to translate them as you went into Osborne BASIC. I really don't remember any specific games, but several were ascii-art arcade games.
#2 An XT-compatible with a HARD DRIVE and an 8-pin dot matrix PRINTER
After that a series of x86 computers. I'm a bit vague on the details. These were all pretty much family machines. The first computer I owned exclusively was a 486DX/50 handed down from my Uncle who had used it for oil and gas pipeline design CAD projects. I ran Slackware 3.0 baby. The first computer I bought with my own money - a Pentium 90 laptop.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
22-12-2012, 10:23 AM
What was your 1st computer and the games you played.
(21-12-2012 09:31 PM)Logisch Wrote:  FIRST computer game I played? Number munchers. I was the only kid in the classroom that understood how to start the games so I was on it every chance I got.

Didn't your sister play the sequel? Carpet munchers?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
22-12-2012, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2012 11:27 AM by Luminon.)
Hey, I'm not a veteran of really ye olde days when people played THE Rogue and Zork on hall computers, but still I've got memories.
The first games I ever played was on Atari at my Aunt's apartment. She lived 300 km away, so visiting her once a year was something we liked to do. I'm from a country and she lived in an apartment, 12th floor, full of cats, hamsters and aquarium fishes. So we sat all day long in front of the TV playing games like Robbo, Karate, Zone X, Twilight, Jet Set Willy, Boulder Dash and so on, going through all the tapes she had, not knowing properly what game comes next, arguing if we go on to the next one. There was a crazy sequence of shift/pause/select/alt/reset/switch/play on the Atari and casette player machinery that we kids memorized and used to get the next game loading.
I had about 4-5 years then and it probably affected me for the rest of my life.

Later around 1996 my parents bought a Pentium 533 MHz computer with Windows 95 for a crazy amount of money in today's cost/benefit/inflation terms. Man, did we play on that thing. They gave us a CD with game (demo) versions and we abused the hell out of that disc. It had more than 3 hundred games and I think I've tried them all and played more than my brothers, they couldn't get some of them running.
That was back when DOS gaming was still alive and kicking (yet I didn't have Norton Commander, so we ran them all on Windows, unless Dad started some stubbornly DOS one for us) and I liked the Apogee games the most. You know the platform shooters - Duke Nukem 2, BioMenace, Monster Bash, Galactix GX1, the Skunny games etc... Countless others. I wasn't quite RPG positive yet, there were few RPGs around. Only a demo of Jeff Vogel's Exile and later Crystal Souls, but I didn't enjoy them very much due to my lack of English and demo limitations.
The scariest game for me was Corridor 7 and Body Count. But the scariest one objectively was Alcatraz. It was diffcult as hell, but it had also a nasty habit to log into system starting files and take over the computer, so the game started after a restart instead of Windows. Every time Dad found out, he was quite mad.

Back in the dark ages of the internet beginnings and evil national phone company monopoly we had 20 minutes of slow, expensive internet a day and if we were nice and not naughty, at the end of the month we could enjoy a full hour! But downloading 20 megs was a challenge and anything more than that impossible for the phone bill. So I remember I actually sent an e-mail to a man over the net with a faster line, to download me a few RPGs that had at least 40 megs each and send them to me on a CD through the mail. It worked and I had my Albion, Kain and Incubation, IIRC.

Who knew years later I'd return to the ASCII roughness of ADOM and other roguelikes? Only temporarily, I like my graphics. Anyway, I think I've played almost all, except sports games and simulators.

I regret my folks were never into gaming, my Mom was vehemently against it, as an obscene waste of time (her words, not mine). Dad was more neutral, I even saw him playing Age of Empires a couple of times. But they had to buy computers, because there was no peace in the house. I bailed out of the computer fights with my brothers by getting a laptop on my 18 years (this one) when I went to the college. I promise to myself, I must get my bachelor's, get on the Master's study and for that I'll buy myself a quad-core laptop with 8 gigs RAM, separate NVidia graphic card and that'll set me up for all this PDF document OCR processing that takes me hours on this one.
Also, that will allow me to catch up with playing all the titles since Prince of Persia 3D.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
22-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Awww, man. I think it was this:
http://www.pcgaming.ws/viewgame.php?game...ts_revenge

Either that or Wolfenstein 3D.... Consider

"Life - its the fun thing that happened on the way to the cemetery."
-Poilce Officer Janson, Raid
I live in the land of Santa, fool!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire
22-12-2012, 06:36 PM
(22-12-2012 08:53 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  My parents were given a Pong clone for a wedding present, but I think I only played it years after I had a "real" computer:
#1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_1 - TWO floppy drives and portable with 4MHz chip and 64kB RAM, it could fit under an airline seat. Read it an weep tape jockeys... though it was so non-standard not only did you have to copy programs by hand from books you had to translate them as you went into Osborne BASIC. I really don't remember any specific games, but several were ascii-art arcade games.
After that a series of x86 computers. I'm a bit vague on the details. These were all pretty much family machines. The first computer I owned exclusively was a 486DX/50 handed down from my Uncle who had used it for oil and gas pipeline design CAD projects. I ran Slackware 3.0 baby. The first computer I bought with my own money - a Pentium 90 laptop.
4 whole MHz and a whopping 64 kB RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The power must have been overwhelming...

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
23-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Intel 8088. The original monochrome Microsoft Flight Simulator.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-12-2012, 11:52 PM
(22-12-2012 06:36 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 08:53 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  My parents were given a Pong clone for a wedding present, but I think I only played it years after I had a "real" computer:
4 whole MHz and a whopping 64 kB RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The power must have been overwhelming...

Suck it bitch, you have no idea how incredible it was at that time to have something with 4Mhz... I used to have a 10 Mhz 80286 and it was a blast.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson