What was your first job ever?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2017, 01:49 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2017 06:30 AM by Gloucester.)
RE: What was your first job ever?
1959, aged 15, signed up to join the RAF but 7 months to kill before my induction date, I started work in a used car lot run by two guys. If you wanted to pick two characters for a tragicomedy of the goings on in such a place these rwo were perfect. Call them Fred and Bert.

Fred was over weight, blonde, wore "country check" shirts, a mustard yellow knitted tie, cavalry twill slacks, brown brogues and either a hacking jacket or a sheepskin coat, smoked cigars and drank brandy from a hip flask - quite the "country gentleman". Also seemed very laid back and affable to the public.

Bert was tall and skinny, jet black hair slicked back from a high, balding forehead, very narrow faced with a beak of a nose and a chin you could spear pickles with. He wore white shirts, black ties, a sharply cut pinstriped black suit and "winkle pickers", very sharply pointed, shoes. He chain smoked and always seemed on the edge of a nervous breakdown. His favourite tipple was gin, just gin.The epitome of a petty East End of London criminal.

The contrast was incredible.

The "old bangers" they sold? Wish I had some now! At one point there was a full set of just pre-war Super Swift (later Jaguar) open tourers, same body, three engine sizes. Most of those cars would have a 4 or 5 figure price tag now. They sold for less than £200 then.

My job was washing the cars, changing tires and tidying the lot up. I did pick up a couple of other skills that came in useful when I had old bangers of my own to fix rust holes and fill minor dents in, respray and try to keep them on the road as they slowly fell apart.

Fred and Bert were also into the betting/fixing ring in the local boxing circuit. One day they had a visit from a couple of heavies. The old wooden shack that was the office rattled a bit during the visit. Fred and Bert looked, er, less than happy after their visitors left and, sort of, walked funny. Someone higher up the gutter felt he had been cheated evidently.

Once or twice a week a couple of the local "ladies" would also visit. The office blinds would be drawn and I was told to "keep any customers occupied for ten minutes". They sometimes walked funny after those visits as well.

Ah, happy days . . .

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
17-02-2017, 01:52 AM
...hand. It was employment I gave myself.

I still do it part time, even today.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2017, 02:15 AM
I already studied electronics when i took a job to analyse broken heat cost allocators and make quality control for new ones be4 delivery. I was sitting in a small lab in a basement during a hot summer and heated the new ones up to specified temperatures, so we can check their functionalities. I had to test 100 pieces for each 10.000 delivered or so.

The other part was getting a 1m^3 box of little annoying beeping broken devices once in a while and read the memory out and make statistics about the fails.

I got this job together with an old pal from school.

It was pretty boring, but paid quite well, and i had something to do with electronics at least. The more interesting part was that i got to fuck the secretary of one of the managers.....
It was also probably noticeable that one day (i was working alone) a girl popped up in the lab. They hired her to work with me. She became my gf (ok, after i stopped banging the secretary) and at one day we just were involved in something that required me to have my pants down and her to kneel.....when my pal showed up in the door to ask me to go to town for a beer. We didnt lock or block the door, wich made the whole scenario......lets say weird when she burst running towards the door to deal with my pal while i was pulling up my pants. What can i say, i was in my early 20s and full of testosterone.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
17-02-2017, 02:34 AM
I got my first paying job at the age of 15 when I worked at farm. Earned little more than $1 per hour and it wasn't considered shitty pay back then, not great but not terrible either.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-02-2017, 02:50 AM
From 6 years old I was picking and packing Kiwifruit during the Kiwifruit harvest season.
Right through to when I was 15 years old, I'd take the two week holiday + took an extra week off school.
From about 14 - 17 I also worked for about 6 weeks doing night shift packing of Kiwifruit, after school, I'd have a quick dinner and then go to work.

It gave me a great source of income and meant I could go through university without much of a debt at the end. It was also fun being productive and helped me learn a decent work ethic.
17-02-2017, 04:21 AM
Paper round at age 12, gradually mixed with babysitting and odd jobs at my local riding stable (mucking out, dunging etc). From age 14 waitressing at a local pizza restaurant on Fri/Sat evenings too, plus waitressing at a local pub Sunday afternoons, and occasional home based work (using a hot wire to bend plastic e.g for name tags). Lasted one Saturday working on a market stall, but the owner kept grabbing my back​side and trying to persuade me to ditch school to 'go to the cash and carry', I was not going back no matter how much I needed the money! Able to get decent part time work at 16, first at a now defunct high street chain for the xmas period, then holiday jobs at a well known burger joint, until part time work was no longer sufficient and quit school to work full time.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Forgot, also commercial cleaning before school on weekdays.
17-02-2017, 06:49 AM
My first job was as ticket seller in a private war museum owned by the father of British actor Nicolas Lyndhurst.
17-02-2017, 07:18 AM
First two jobs were concurrent.

One was working for a local high school doing lighting and stage set work for plays and musical acts. Met a lot of up-and-coming Canadian bands during that time: Rush, The Guess Who, Lighthouse, etc. It basically involved the moving and heavy lifting of speakers, drum risers, etc.

The other one was bagging groceries at a local supermarket.
17-02-2017, 07:35 AM
I did summer work as a kid picking tomatoes. A fucking horrible job. When I was 15 I worked as a lounge boy in a pub. The tips were pretty good, especially on a Saturday night. A friend started doing a few nights behind the bar and we decided to do a little scam i.e. I'd have an order for 5 pints and he'd charge for four. We'd do that a few times a night and we'd split our ill gotten gains at the end of the shift. That little scam lasted a few weeks but me mate got paranoid about being caught and stopped participating.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
17-02-2017, 08:01 AM
I was a busboy at a country club at 16. Worked there for a few months, got a job at a bowling alley after that for five years, then went back to the country club as a waiter and met my wife.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post