What was your path to Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Well? I'm curious. Were you always atheist? Did you grow up religious and have an epiphany? Eager to see your responses.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like hyperhealer's post
05-05-2017, 10:51 AM
RE: What was your path to Atheism?
(05-05-2017 10:35 AM)hyperhealer Wrote:  Well? I'm curious. Were you always atheist? Did you grow up religious and have an epiphany? Eager to see your responses.

I was raised as a Methodist, I had doubts even as a seven year old, as got older I made a rational examination of what I'b been taught in church and I found that it wasn't true. So, I stopped believing in it. It was pretty much a gradual process taking about 5 years but the real moment of epiphany came when I learned of the issue of metaphysical primacy. Once I integrated that knowledge my conversion was instant.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
05-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Grew up in a Missionary Baptist home, religion is stupid. It wasn't that there was a path to Atheism, it was that religion is sooooo stupid there was no path to religion, even growing up all around it with parents who graduated seminary, uncles who were pastors. Lets just say my family is full of stupid.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
05-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Was a Christian about 35 years, raised in a very conservative CoC environment. It was a process that took almost 10 years of chipping away. I was a very hardcore, conservative believer who believed in a literal bible up until my mid to late 20s. I was the guy that would argue against evolution and read sites like Answers in Genesis religiously (no pun intended). What started the crack was disagreements with more liberal christians about issues like drinking alcohol and various denominational issues like instrumental music. Much like Matt Dillahunty, I decided I was going to find all the verses and evidence and prove them wrong. To my surprise, I ended up finding out the positions I was taught were "100% the truth" were pretty much 100% opinion/interpretation.

From there I just slowly started pulling the thread from the sweater, and I stress slowly. After a few years I started to question "Well if that stuff was opinion, what about other things". I kept going to church and putting on the happy face but internally I had turned into a generic "as long as you believe you're cool" type Christian. Then about 3 years ago I decided to finally attack the elephant in the room, which was "what if everything about the bible/faith is bullshit"? That's when I discovered Seth Andrews, Aron-ra, and various other YouTube/internet atheists and started listening to them.

Looking back, I think if I'm honest with myself I don't know if I ever fully gave into it all; there was always this nagging doubt in my mind about it all but I buried it and ignored it. But once I started listening to Seth and the others, it was like 0 to 100. Especially when I find out how all the objections to evolution given by creationists had been long debunked, the truth about archealogy and how it most certainly does NOT back up the bible, and just the general information we know about how the bible even came to be....all things that were never told to me or flat out lied about in the church.
[+] 5 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
05-05-2017, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 11:25 AM by Dom.)
Read the entire bible at age 10. Filed it away with my fairy tale books and moved on to mystery books.

Never gave it much thought for decades, until my husband died a few years ago and people said the most inane things to me...which caused me to find this place to vent.

You will find lots of people's stories here: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sion-story

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
05-05-2017, 11:28 AM
[Image: img_4228-14.jpg]

Not this actual path but one very much like it.

We were staying at a farm-house B&B in Dorset (or was it Devon?), I was around 10 years old and had been sent to get something from the local shop (maybe 1/4 mile away) and sat down on the verge and was thinking about whether my recently deceased last grandparent was 'up there' or somewhere, watching ... the after-death thoughts I had been mulling over for a while already.

I decided that it was unlikely.

[Image: 1709fdacb2a8ee1c57f084ab34d3df11.jpg]

And then there was, around the same time, a path much like the one above, not far from home, and my first 'unexpected' sexual encounter... a life-lesson in personal security and an absence of a divine protector.

And a little later, the Brecon Beacons ... where I was given a geology lesson and introduced to the concept of evolution:

[Image: upland-erosion-on-fan-y-big-escarpment-2-580x300.jpg]

Paths can be life-changing.

Yes

[+] 13 users Like DLJ's post
05-05-2017, 11:31 AM
For me, the movie The Matrix plays a part. I remember seeing for the first time in 1999 and subsequent viewings showed some pretty deep philosophical ideas explored in the movie. So I decided to do some light reading into the world of philosophy to see if anything piqued my interest and pretty much came to the conclusion that you could make up a bunch of metaphysical ideas to justify almost anything. Thus led me to my own personal philosophy: Question Everything. If the ideas hold merit, then great. If not, then get new ideas. Religion did not pass this test.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like hyperhealer's post
05-05-2017, 11:56 AM
(05-05-2017 10:35 AM)hyperhealer Wrote:  Well? I'm curious. Were you always atheist? Did you grow up religious and have an epiphany? Eager to see your responses.

I was raised a Methodist but dropped Christianity when I was still a teen, primarily because of its anti-monotheistic trinity doctrine. Unfortunately I then tried to make sense of the Sufi interpretation of the Islamic concept of God until I was in my mid-forties, when that fell apart for me too. I gave up metaphysics entirely for several years to recover, then read The God Delusion in late 2006 when I was fifty. That, if anything, was my epiphany, since it immediately made sense of many of my confusions. I was an atheist by the time I finished the book, and all my readings and discussions since then have only strengthened my position.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
05-05-2017, 11:57 AM

I was raised as a Pentecostal fundamentalist, I loved science and ultimately the bible didn't square with science. All believers are given a choice when they read Genesis, you can:

1. Dismiss it as metaphorical and play the "it's still a source of truth" game and lie to yourself as you cherry-pick your way through it's flawed version of reality.

2. Play interpretational games with what it says to get it to match science- and lie to yourself.

3. Call it BS and recognize it is not a good source for science or anything else for that matter- this is the honest option.

I settled on option 2 for over 25 years, I just didn't think about it once I settled on that option, until I decided to get clarity on what this book really says and how reliable it is.

The 3rd option is the only truthful and honest one.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
05-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Nihilism and existentialism. Nietszche, Sartre, Camus and the like when I was 14yo. Good times.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post