What was your path to Atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 05:42 PM
RE: What was your path to Atheism?
I've written the full story before. So here are the clip notes.

1.) Raised Roman Catholic. Knew nothing of other religions or that there were other religions that didn't accept God as the answer. Always had questions, but not enough answers.
2.) Left my parents House went to College. Learned people believed a shit load of different stuff. Learned more about the world.
3.) George Carlin.
4.) Tom Cruise. Scientology. What the fuck?! How could anyone believe this? What else have people fallen for.
5.) Taught myself about different cults. Looked at different Religions more closely.
6.)Found Aronra, Hitchens, Amazing Atheist, Thinking Atheist, Dawkins.
7.) Considered myself an Agnostic Theist.
8.) Did a shit load of "soul" searching.
9.) Agnositc Atheist

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
06-05-2017, 05:55 PM
always an atheist. Don't remember ever believing in Santa either.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
07-05-2017, 10:13 PM
(05-05-2017 10:35 AM)hyperhealer Wrote:  Well? I'm curious. Were you always atheist? Did you grow up religious and have an epiphany? Eager to see your responses.

Was always an atheist.
Even when I learned the vast majority of mankind believed in deities, and assumed there was a logical reason for that (since we're rational race Weeping ), I couldn't bring myself to believe.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
07-05-2017, 10:41 PM
(05-05-2017 12:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 12:28 PM)big green mouth Wrote:  I was raised Presbytarian, but by the time I reached my teens I was an atheist. At 17 I read the Tao Te Ching and instantly converted to Taoism -- it just rang so many bells for me. Off and on throughout the years I took my Taoism more and less seriously. In my 40s I embraced Hinduism in the form of the goddess Kali. A couple of years ago I faced a decision. To learn more about Hinduism or not. But figuring out what to take and what to throw away would depend upon reason. So I decided to skip the middle man and just depend upon reason. That led me to give up my belief in the goddess Kali.

Love Kali, she's one of my faves from Hindu mythology Thumbsup

I think I know her too. Wasn't she on "Young And Restless" ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-05-2017, 12:02 PM
(05-05-2017 11:43 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Grew up a devout Southern Baptist, evangelical Christian. Every word of the Bible literally true. Read it through twice in two translations and took the "Precept Upon Precept" course in a third. As part of my apologetics training, I was taught how to disprove all the other religions of the world.

However, I was also a big fan of science fiction, and discovered a deep interest in real science. Once I realized how wrong the Creationism I had been taught was, and that my teachers were so mistaken about that, it didn't take me long to turn my critical analysis weaponry on my own beliefs...I realized that the claims of the New Testament, which depended on a literal Genesis, were unsupportable. Since the Jesus character clearly thought the Genesis stories were real, he couldn't be God. None of the human claims about deities held up under examination, and I was too honest to pretend otherwise.

So, as Douglas Adams once put it, "God promptly disappeared in a puff of logic."

I personally now laugh at the mental gymnastics they go through, both the literal Christians and those that believe in Jesus but not a literal Genesis.

The 100% literalists have the rock solid logic of "Jesus is Lord; he stated the account of creation and Noah as real, therefore they are 100% real".

The non-literalists state Jesus only talked in terms of Genesis being real because he knew that's all the people of the day would understand.

And both lines of thinking are absolutely idiotic.