What was your tipping point?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2014, 02:39 PM
What was your tipping point?
I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the Tipping Point podcast yet, but hopefully I will get a chance to do so this evening. I am interested in hearing what finally pushed others over the edge. What was your aha moment?

The title had me thinking what mine was. I had been playing around with some ideas in my head for months and months. My husband and I had quite a few discussions on a plethora of topics. We both did research daily. We even changed churches and prayed earnestly that we would find our place in god's plan. Obviously that didn't work out to well. (who would have known I would have ended up joining an atheist forum?)

The final nail in the coffin came about from two events that happened simultaneously. In an effort to "get closer to god" and put away any doubts I had begun to have, I had decided to change my nightly bible reading with my son. We decided to start in Genesis and read straight through. Now mind you, I had read these passages before and for whatever reason, I had never really thought of the implications. My previous mindset had been, god's great, he has a reason for everything he does and those were evil evil people....blah blah blah.
BUT...it was different reading it with a 7-8 year old boy. We read about the creation, read about the flood, about Pharaoh and all the horrible plagues. As I read these things I noticed my little one wasn't happy clappy like he normally was. He questioned why things happened and I had no answer for him. Why did god send a plague to kill the firstborn? Who would do that kind of thing? Finally we got to Joshua fighting and killing entire cities, killing babies and innocents. My son finally said, stop. He didn't want to hear it anymore. It was scary to him. And I had no explanation for any of those actions. I told him the truth, that I had no idea why god had commanded those things, and they were horrible atrocities that could never be justifiable. (remember up until then I was trying to understand the bible as historical fact).

The second thing that was happening at the same time was the Newtown school shooting. I couldn't understand why a loving god would allow that to happen. Wasn't there something he could have done? My church friends would pray for the families. I remember thinking, where the hell was god when those little ones needed him. Was there in fact a god? Was the bible legit? What had I been taught my whole life? What about other religions and their gods?

That was my tipping point. I continued to read and do research (and still do), but I knew I could no longer believe anything I had been taught in church my whole life. I began to see the world completely different than I had in the past. And it has been amazing!!

I would love to hear what others have to say about their tipping point.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like TN Skeptic's post
19-11-2014, 03:55 PM
RE: What was your tipping point?
When I realized at the ripe old age of 15 that any promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is utter and complete bullshit and dualism is not only implausible, it is untenable. I blame the existentialists and Nietszche. Bastards should be banned from schools. Big Grin

#sigh
19-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Mine was more of a gentile turn as opposed to a drastic event.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
19-11-2014, 04:25 PM
I didn't have a tipping point as I was never really religious in the first place. To speculate though, if I may, I think mine would have been when I really started thinking about things and started having access to the internet because the internet has taught me a lot.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
19-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Like Wazzel, mine was gradual that I can't pinpoint it on any specific event.

The earliest I can remember having serious doubts was when my wife was pregnant with our first daughter. I used to look forward to teaching my kids about God, but when I had an actual kid on the way, I knew I had to be down with the belief myself if I was going to teach it. I wasn't sure I believed anymore. That started about two years of increasing doubt.

There were little "ah ha" moments where I would get yet another unanswered question that made me doubt more. I know the time I spent at The Gaming Den definitely lead me down this path. The heavy posters there are all quite atheist.

I do remember specifically when I stopped worrying that I'm wrong and I might go to hell. I was at work and was thinking "If I've never lost sleep about going to hell for not believing in Islam of the FSM, why am I worried about going to hell for not believing in Christianity?". I knew at that point that I only cared about Christianity because it's the religion I was taught as a kid. It doesn't bring anything more to the table than any other religion, and I never cared about those. I was in a much better mood once I could finally let go of it all.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
19-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Always thought it was kinda bullshit, but the recent resurgence of devoutness and indoctrination of my sister-in-law and mother made me once and for all do some critical thinking and I finally saw the truth.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Already skeptical by the time I had my oldest, the tipping point was when the Church wouldn't baptize my daughter because I wasn't married. Then a couple years later they baptized a much younger friend's child and it came out in the annual "Who Gave How Much" booklet that her father donated $1,000.00 to the Church that year.

And that, kids, was the price of a Catholic baptism in the late 70s-early 80s.

Was also the tipping point for my father.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-11-2014, 04:34 PM
(19-11-2014 04:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Already skeptical by the time I had my oldest, the tipping point was when the Church wouldn't baptize my daughter because I wasn't married. Then a couple years later they baptized a much younger friend's child and it came out in the annual "Who Gave How Much" booklet that her father donated $1,000.00 to the Church that year.

Acts 8:20
Peter answered: "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
19-11-2014, 04:37 PM
(19-11-2014 04:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Already skeptical by the time I had my oldest, the tipping point was when the Church wouldn't baptize my daughter because I wasn't married. Then a couple years later they baptized a much younger friend's child and it came out in the annual "Who Gave How Much" booklet that her father donated $1,000.00 to the Church that year.

That's really it, when you strip away all the voodoo bullshit, it's just about power and money.
The same as any other con-job.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
19-11-2014, 04:51 PM
There wasn't anything drastic on my part, but when you seriously step down to think for a moment, the gruesome story telling and portrayals in the Old Testament, and crap like this:

It's hard to take religion and the Bible as the "divine Words of God" seriously.

To quote Isaac Asimov, “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”
[+] 1 user Likes Bear100's post