What was your tipping point?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2014, 05:02 PM
RE: What was your tipping point?
I'd never been much of a believer but would go along with religious stuff whenever my family or close friends were involved. The thing that finally made me decide that it was batshit insane and I wouldn't tacitly go along anymore was when my best friend wanted us to get promise rings to God when we were 14. I thought it was the stupidest thing I had ever heard, but just told her no thanks. After that I stopped following her to church and we gradually talked less and less. I lost my virginity a few months after she got her promise ring, and she waited until she was married (at 19). She now has 3 kids and a controlling husband, ran into her at a store a couple years ago and we had a brief chat while her kids squirmed... she was always so sweet. What a waste, (extreme) religion destroys people.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2014, 05:09 PM
I've never really believed, but didn't see the harm in religion. Then after talking to some people and realizing that actually BELIEVED that stuff as fact, I found it scary and dangerous.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
19-11-2014, 05:33 PM
When I concluded that scriptures of all the religions I knew were man-made...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
19-11-2014, 05:51 PM
(19-11-2014 02:39 PM)TN Skeptic Wrote:  I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the Tipping Point podcast yet, but hopefully I will get a chance to do so this evening. I am interested in hearing what finally pushed others over the edge. What was your aha moment?

The title had me thinking what mine was. I had been playing around with some ideas in my head for months and months. My husband and I had quite a few discussions on a plethora of topics. We both did research daily. We even changed churches and prayed earnestly that we would find our place in god's plan. Obviously that didn't work out to well. (who would have known I would have ended up joining an atheist forum?)

The final nail in the coffin came about from two events that happened simultaneously. In an effort to "get closer to god" and put away any doubts I had begun to have, I had decided to change my nightly bible reading with my son. We decided to start in Genesis and read straight through. Now mind you, I had read these passages before and for whatever reason, I had never really thought of the implications. My previous mindset had been, god's great, he has a reason for everything he does and those were evil evil people....blah blah blah.
BUT...it was different reading it with a 7-8 year old boy. We read about the creation, read about the flood, about Pharaoh and all the horrible plagues. As I read these things I noticed my little one wasn't happy clappy like he normally was. He questioned why things happened and I had no answer for him. Why did god send a plague to kill the firstborn? Who would do that kind of thing? Finally we got to Joshua fighting and killing entire cities, killing babies and innocents. My son finally said, stop. He didn't want to hear it anymore. It was scary to him. And I had no explanation for any of those actions. I told him the truth, that I had no idea why god had commanded those things, and they were horrible atrocities that could never be justifiable. (remember up until then I was trying to understand the bible as historical fact).

The second thing that was happening at the same time was the Newtown school shooting. I couldn't understand why a loving god would allow that to happen. Wasn't there something he could have done? My church friends would pray for the families. I remember thinking, where the hell was god when those little ones needed him. Was there in fact a god? Was the bible legit? What had I been taught my whole life? What about other religions and their gods?

That was my tipping point. I continued to read and do research (and still do), but I knew I could no longer believe anything I had been taught in church my whole life. I began to see the world completely different than I had in the past. And it has been amazing!!

I would love to hear what others have to say about their tipping point.

Your story is amazing. To read that someone can go through that process in an evening while reading a story to their son actually moved me.

Welcome to the forums.

I never had a tipping point, but about 8 years ago, I identified as an atheist for the first time. Kinda like walking around for most of my life not knowing I was human and then reading about all the characteristics of a human being.
"Hey, I'm one of those and always have been."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
19-11-2014, 05:52 PM
For me, I really had no tipping point. I came from a Secular family that pretended that they believed in that sort of thing. I am pretty sure they actually do, but they are the most non religious religious people I know.

I just sat in my bed at one night and somehow the idea that magic does does not exist came to mind and then It got me to thinking about all the other magical things that do not exist. I started feeling really sad about that. Then I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as god or an afterlife. It just came to me, since magic is impossible and simply does not exist, the supernatural cannot exist. If that does not exist, an afterlife does not exist.

I fell asleep REALLY extra sad and afraid.

I was 13 or so, I think. [/align]

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
19-11-2014, 06:03 PM
(19-11-2014 02:39 PM)TN Skeptic Wrote:  I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the Tipping Point podcast yet, but hopefully I will get a chance to do so this evening. I am interested in hearing what finally pushed others over the edge. What was your aha moment?

The title had me thinking what mine was. I had been playing around with some ideas in my head for months and months. My husband and I had quite a few discussions on a plethora of topics. We both did research daily. We even changed churches and prayed earnestly that we would find our place in god's plan. Obviously that didn't work out to well. (who would have known I would have ended up joining an atheist forum?)

The final nail in the coffin came about from two events that happened simultaneously. In an effort to "get closer to god" and put away any doubts I had begun to have, I had decided to change my nightly bible reading with my son. We decided to start in Genesis and read straight through. Now mind you, I had read these passages before and for whatever reason, I had never really thought of the implications. My previous mindset had been, god's great, he has a reason for everything he does and those were evil evil people....blah blah blah.
BUT...it was different reading it with a 7-8 year old boy. We read about the creation, read about the flood, about Pharaoh and all the horrible plagues. As I read these things I noticed my little one wasn't happy clappy like he normally was. He questioned why things happened and I had no answer for him. Why did god send a plague to kill the firstborn? Who would do that kind of thing? Finally we got to Joshua fighting and killing entire cities, killing babies and innocents. My son finally said, stop. He didn't want to hear it anymore. It was scary to him. And I had no explanation for any of those actions. I told him the truth, that I had no idea why god had commanded those things, and they were horrible atrocities that could never be justifiable. (remember up until then I was trying to understand the bible as historical fact).

The second thing that was happening at the same time was the Newtown school shooting. I couldn't understand why a loving god would allow that to happen. Wasn't there something he could have done? My church friends would pray for the families. I remember thinking, where the hell was god when those little ones needed him. Was there in fact a god? Was the bible legit? What had I been taught my whole life? What about other religions and their gods?

That was my tipping point. I continued to read and do research (and still do), but I knew I could no longer believe anything I had been taught in church my whole life. I began to see the world completely different than I had in the past. And it has been amazing!!

I never had what one might be called a 'tipping point'; as far back as I can remember I've always regarded religion and deities as bullshit. I used to watch those poorly made Christian propaganda cartoons which came about on Easter and Giftmas but I always thought to myself things like "None of this make sense at all! Why are shepherds tending to flocks in the dead of night in a desert in winter?! They'd be frozen, surely!" when I brought up these problems, I was silenced under the premise of enjoyment, of course, but made no difference.

I almost wish I had been indoctrinated so I'd have an interesting story to tell, but alas...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
19-11-2014, 06:05 PM
I never had a strong connection to religion. I was a bit of an open explorer of other types of religious belief.

I actually came to thinking of myself firmly as an atheist though once I read this speech essay by Penn Jillette in a book titled, This I believe I randomly looked at while at a bookstore: http://www.npr.org/2005/11/21/5015557/there-is-no-god

I was already pretty much atheist by all means. Even though he takes his position of beyond atheism and has a strong hard-lined stance, I don't, that's how he is. But hearing someone be that way helped me really define myself my way. There's other good essays on many topics in the book.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-11-2014, 06:20 PM
I pretty much started out as a blank slate, religion-wise, because no one in My immediate family went to church on a regular basis and no one had much to say on the subject of religion. I loved reading, though, which is how I ended up reading an illustrated Bible at the age of 6 and discovered all the major stories and characters.

Tried going to Sunday school, mostly because I had a friend who went there, but we were a year apart in age and got split into different classes. Got bored and dropped out. Along the way I was trying to figure out how religious belief actually worked, because I didn't have any.

I veered off towards polytheism around age 10, when I discovered Greek mythology. Developed a serious crush on Athena, because She was Who I wanted to be when I grew up. I also researched Hinduism for a school history project a few years later.

Fast forward 35-40 years or so, through numerous attempts at being religious -- I read the book of Revelation, dabbled in Golden Dawn occultism, tried on at least 3 different types of Buddhism, tried to learn to read Hebrew and Sanskrit and Greek and a few other things, and had a Woo Renaissance (oddly enough, a side effect of being an avid Dragonlance fangrrl) when I decided to study Futhark runes and discovered the gang from Asgard -- The gods of My own family heritage (I'm Norwegian on the maternal side).

And then the tipping point: I realized one day that if someone were to ask Me under oath in a court of law if OĆ°inn & co. were real, I could not and would not answer "Yes." I can't generate religious faith even for gods I genuinely admire, and have self-described as an agnostic atheist ever since.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Dinosaurs.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2014, 08:18 PM
(19-11-2014 05:51 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  

Your story is amazing. To read that someone can go through that process in an evening while reading a story to their son actually moved me.

Welcome to the forums.

I never had a tipping point, but about 8 years ago, I identified as an atheist for the first time. Kinda like walking around for most of my life not knowing I was human and then reading about all the characteristics of a human being.
"Hey, I'm one of those and always have been."

It wasn't in one night. It was more like 2 months. At that point the Newtown trajedy happened and I was like what the hell have I been reading to my kid?? Sorry to ruin the vision you had. My little one can only handle about 10-20 minutes of reading at one time. After that he is completely gone and thinking about more important things like his Legos!!