What were you taught about wars in your classrooms? Bias for your country.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2011, 03:18 PM
RE: What were you taught about wars in your classrooms? Bias for your country.
Well of course it was fine Cantor it's a true statement. But most of the explorers of the America's came from destitutes anyway. It would be surprising to expect much loyalty. another entertaining idea for a paper would be would there ever have been an America without the crown if the Americas were occupied in a similar fashion as the Africas, and China? America was the largest colonial effort. Most British colonies were way too small to plan something drastic. And Britain was perfectly capable of controlling native populations.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
08-12-2011, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 03:43 PM by tazmin98.)
Maybe if America had joined early, the war would've been finished early. *sigh*
Nor did America or Britain win the war. It was the allies.

During the Vietnam war, America was truly ready to use atomic weapons. It was approved by everyone, the top brass, and the president.
But then Britain heard about, and told America not to. America's response?
"Okay, Mom."
True story. *nods*

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
[+] 2 users Like tazmin98's post
08-12-2011, 03:52 PM
(07-12-2011 08:50 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Pk, this is a nerve for me. I was taught in public school about the Japanese internment camps about the same way I was taught about the flood. Well, yeah it happened and it was an unfortunate time so we just don't really want to take a microscopic look at the details because we won't like what we find there.

I had no idea Canada did this as well.

I know the answer to the question, so it's rhetorical:
Why no camps for the Germans? Why weren't Italian assets seized?
Oh...and why no reparations? Pisses me off.

Apologies and reparations here, much later, like 1987-1990. Germans - some whose ancestors migrated to Canada in the 18th century! - were also interned in Ontario and their farmlands expropriated. In BC, there is something about resettling German refugees in the remote wilderness (?) Italians, as far as i recall, were only watched, fired from some jobs and barred from anything 'sensitive'; many individuals arrested and detained, but with recourse to justice.

Thomas King has a wonderful short story about the Japanese, titled Coyote and the Enemy Aliens

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
08-12-2011, 05:39 PM
It seems that there are too many American opinions on this thread... and I'm yet another American. But I can pass on what I've learned about the American Revolutionary War from remedial study after high school...

The colonies won because we had France's help at Yorktown (wars tend to be won by the bigger army). Why'd they help us? Because Britain kicked french ass in the French and Indian war about 10 years previous. Also, the Spanish were quite upset about the defeat of the Spanish Armada in the Battle of Gravelines. Sure, that was 150 years before the American Revolution, but Britain and Spain were still unfriendly since that battle, and Spain helped us in the war too... their involvement just didn't turn the tides.

Also, we grew up learning about General Washington crossing the Delaware and defeating the Hessians, and about his sacrifices at Valley Forge. I'm quite certain that British youth learn about the Battle of Brandywine in which Washington's ass was handed to him, but American youth aren't told about this battle.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
08-12-2011, 05:48 PM
(08-12-2011 05:39 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  It seems that there are too many American opinions on this thread... and I'm yet another American. But I can pass on what I've learned about the American Revolutionary War from remedial study after high school...

The colonies won because we had France's help at Yorktown (wars tend to be won by the bigger army). Why'd they help us? Because Britain kicked french ass in the French and Indian war about 10 years previous. Also, the Spanish were quite upset about the defeat of the Spanish Armada in the Battle of Gravelines. Sure, that was 150 years before the American Revolution, but Britain and Spain were still unfriendly since that battle, and Spain helped us in the war too... their involvement just didn't turn the tides.

Also, we grew up learning about General Washington crossing the Delaware and defeating the Hessians, and about his sacrifices at Valley Forge. I'm quite certain that British youth learn about the Battle of Brandywine in which Washington's ass was handed to him, but American youth aren't told about this battle.

The good thing about America is that while there is bias in the popularization of history, there is also plenty of dissenting historical perspectives at the local library. Like how Yorktown was pretty much it, the rest of the time was Washington having his ass handed to him. "American victory" is pretty much limited to Ethan Allen. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
08-12-2011, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 06:47 PM by Erxomai.)
(08-12-2011 03:25 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  Maybe if America had joined early, the war would've been finished early. *sigh*

During the Vietnam war, America was truly ready to use atomic weapons. It was approved by everyone, the top brass, and the president.
"Okay, Mom."
True story. *nods*

Love Eddie Izzard's take on History and Relgion. Brilliant stuff!

(although I'm too crusty to understand why he's talking over anime ?)

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
09-12-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm swedish so when we learn about our wars we focus on the 1600-1700. That time we call "Time of great power" or something like that, I'm translating it from "stormaktstiden" so it may be flawed but you get the point. During that time the swedish kings were conquerers constantly fighting the danes, russians and polish. It wasn't very biased to be honest, sometimes they were the assholes (at one point those 3 countries teamed Sweden all at once just 'cause the king was young and they believed him to be weak and stupid, they were wrong.)
But sometimes Sweden was the asshole, like when Karl X defeated Denmark and made a peace treaty, then a moment later thought "might as well end those bastards so never have to deal with 'em again" So he attacked again, Sweden lost, the danes got some help from the dutch navy. So yeah we were taught the facts and the bias was kept out, but since it was like 400 years ago I guess nobody really cares if Sweden was "right".

When it comes to other wars like WW2 the teachers usually leave out the fact that Sweden traded with nazi Germany and that the king's son was a nazi who met Hitler atleast once. Otherwise there was no bias, the americans contributed, the russians contributed, the brits and canadians played their part too.

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof Christopher Hitchens

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion Steven Weinberg
[+] 1 user Likes Loathed's post
09-12-2011, 12:19 PM
(08-12-2011 06:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(08-12-2011 03:25 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  Maybe if America had joined early, the war would've been finished early. *sigh*

"Okay, Mom."
True story. *nods*

Love Eddie Izzard's take on History and Relgion. Brilliant stuff!

(although I'm too crusty to understand why he's talking over anime ?)

He didn't. It just a remix. A anime called Hetaila which is about human personification of countries and Eddie Izzard's gigs on Europe and WW2. The user said so many things linking to the anime, that she put together.

Watch this and you will see...

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
09-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Lol. Thank you, Tazmin. When you get old and crusty like me, you'll be asking the hip kids what stuff means too! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
10-12-2011, 05:34 PM

A semi-whitewash (just the treaty of Waitangi and a few films), unless you bother to take NZ history where you learn about New Zealand's involvement in Western Samoa, and the nasty details of treatment of Maori. Unfortunately at my high school, most took Tudor history. Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply