What were you taught about wars in your classrooms? Bias for your country.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2011, 07:56 PM
RE: What were you taught about wars in your classrooms? Bias for your country.
(22-12-2011 07:52 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-12-2011 07:51 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  I am wondering if Mel Gibson has something against horses because it seems in every scene, horses died. -_-'

Someone told him Horses are Jewish.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!

*I can't stop laughing*

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes tazmin98's post
30-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Tongue RE: What were you taught about wars in your classrooms? Bias for your country.
CANADA
One thing I found in My history is that there was a very large portion focused on our world war one achievements to the point where you would almost think Canada won world war one.
Also I loved the war of 1812. battle of beaver dams, queenston heights, general Isaac Brock. basically it said Canada beat the crap out the Americans almost every time they crossed the border.

what I seem to see Canadian military history focusing on is that the Canadian army was highly elite but rather small. Canada has very impressive military record.

two of my favourite videos. only one is historically accurate

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
30-12-2011, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2011 09:44 AM by Erxomai.)
(30-12-2011 12:22 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  CANADA
One thing I found in My history is that there was a very large portion focused on our world war one achievements to the point where you would almost think Canada won world war one.
Also I loved the war of 1812. battle of beaver dams, queenston heights, general Isaac Brock. basically it said Canada beat the crap out the Americans almost every time they crossed the border.

what I seem to see Canadian military history focusing on is that the Canadian army was highly elite but rather small. Canada has very impressive military record.

two of my favourite videos. only one is historically accurate

I just watched the movie Passchendale (not sure of the spelling), about Canada's involvement in that WWI battle. I liked it especially because Iron Maiden wrote a song about it, and it starred a gu who either was or looked a lot like the dude from Torchwood.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-12-2011, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2011 08:35 AM by Stark Raving.)
I always find it amazing how you only need to hear the first two notes and you immediately know it's the Arrogant Worms. (Well, if your Canadian that is).

From what I recall about history in school (bear in mind, that was a while ago), it was actually quite humbling when the topic of war came up. I remember talking a lot about what we did wrong in any given conflict, and discussing mainly the negative aspects of war in general. My personal experience was that there was not much bias at all.

Now discussions about piracy were another thing. Canadian pirates were the shit. In fact, they still are!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj9Zmir79...re=related

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
30-12-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm 19 so it might have changed a little bit but I also went to an all guys school. Our history was mostly war and stuff the government requires us to learn in between the war. Also it might be because I always liked war so I spent a lot of independant study time and now it has blurred together with what i was taught.

Also to Hellbound if you learn about our world war one history almost every battle feels like Passchendaele. The whole some other army coudn't do it so they sent in the canadians. That's probably why the germans called use stormtroopers.

also what did you think of the movie. A lot of people i know didn't like it because there was not enough action spending too much time in calgary. I loved it. although I still think it could have done with less calgary. But those forty minutes of war were some of the coolest war footage I have ever seen. For me I'd say it beats out Private Ryan. That rat still scares the hell out of me.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
30-12-2011, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2011 07:56 PM by Erxomai.)
(30-12-2011 06:43 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I'm 19 so it might have changed a little bit but I also went to an all guys school. Our history was mostly war and stuff the government requires us to learn in between the war. Also it might be because I always liked war so I spent a lot of independant study time and now it has blurred together with what i was taught.

Also to Hellbound if you learn about our world war one history almost every battle feels like Passchendaele. The whole some other army coudn't do it so they sent in the canadians. That's probably why the germans called use stormtroopers.

also what did you think of the movie. A lot of people i know didn't like it because there was not enough action spending too much time in calgary. I loved it. although I still think it could have done with less calgary. But those forty minutes of war were some of the coolest war footage I have ever seen. For me I'd say it beats out Private Ryan. That rat still scares the hell out of me.

The rat was pretty gross...in fact when I glimpsed that was going to be happening, I couldn't keep from looking away. I agree that the war footage was pretty cool, though personally I wouldn't say it beats out Private Ryan. Not sure if it's because of being an American or not, but I just thought Private Ryan was so well made. I would say that I normally wouldn't have liked "the Calgary parts," but maybe because it was the same old romance story happening in a different country and culture that I was able to enjoy it. I did wonder how much nationalistic propaganda was being portrayed by, as you put it, "The whole some other army couldn't do it so they sent in the Canadians." I don't know the history of the Canadian army, so I wasn't sure if that was realistic or artistic license. Overall, I rated it a 3 out of 5 on Netflix, and stirred my interest in knowing more about WWI battles.

Oh, and P.S., while I was watching the movie, it reminded me a bit of Legends of the Fall, which coincidentally is on TV right now. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-12-2011, 09:35 PM
I would be very interested to hear what was taught about the Scottish Wars of Independence in the US if that was ever covered when you were at school.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter!"

-Yoda-
30-12-2011, 09:44 PM
The movie was almost entirely accurate and there was very little propaganda. But the movie was really more of an ego trip for Paul Gross. He is the Producer, Director, Main character and he is playing his grandfather. although in real life the main character actually survives the war as he is able to tell Paul about it. Also that scene in the beginning where he runs the bayonet through the German. That was 100% true.

Ya that whole British and French couldn't do it That happened twice. At passendaele and Vimy Ridge. They really did call us storm troopers and they were afraid of us. Where ever the Canadians went they would reinforce there positions because they knew an attack was imminent. In fact After 1916 Canada went undefeated. with only the Somme and Ypres being lost throughout the war. And the second battle of Ypres shouldn't count since that was the first time the Germans used chlorine gas and the French and Indian forces next to the Canadians routed meaning the Canadians had to cover three times there own territory and in the end they only conceded St. Julien basically stopping a German breakthrough so it was really more of a victory

P.S. Although I think Private Ryan is a better film I still think in terms of battle scenes Passendaele was a bit better. It was grittier, dirtier and more gruesome.

- my friend Marc
31-12-2011, 12:02 AM
(30-12-2011 09:35 PM)Bairny Wrote:  I would be very interested to hear what was taught about the Scottish Wars of Independence in the US if that was ever covered when you were at school.

What we know about Scottish Independence is what we learned from Braveheart. Seriously, most of us were taught "US History" alone, except in classes like Western Civilizations where we learned about the rest of the world in ancient times. We never covered modern world history (or at least I know I didn't).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2011, 01:12 AM
(31-12-2011 12:02 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(30-12-2011 09:35 PM)Bairny Wrote:  I would be very interested to hear what was taught about the Scottish Wars of Independence in the US if that was ever covered when you were at school.

What we know about Scottish Independence is what we learned from Braveheart. Seriously, most of us were taught "US History" alone, except in classes like Western Civilizations where we learned about the rest of the world in ancient times. We never covered modern world history (or at least I know I didn't).

And The Highlander.

~Izel