What/who is Yahweh?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2012, 08:03 PM
RE: What/who is Yahweh?
(29-08-2012 04:28 AM)hylonome Wrote:  Wow! Thanks very much guys!

Those answers were great - thanks for replying Smile

my turn.

I dont know the letters mean for yahweh, Clearly as of today.

but that first reply was well written.

The pursuit of knowledge, is using the 'word', which man (conscious life) created. With words, people can define and articulate the experience.

The pursuit of understanding was and has been a quest within mankind since, forever. Many languages, many defining material and yet many still seeking. Kind of like you. Looking for a straight answer.

Well, of the abrahamic sects, which i consider of egyptian foundations (moses, per him, per torah, per se by him, was born, raised and lived in pharoahs house) have an innert 'promise' within the respective beliefs, that ONE DAY, understanding and judgement will occur. Some make up magical descriptions but i dont.

I see it, that if you know the absolute truth of each matter, that even YOU could be a judge, equally and capable.

So if by some miraculous method, an unveiling of how nature operates, to the letter, could be understood, it would not only 'name' existence (god itself) but also enable 'conscious life' to comprehend itself and understand.

Simply put, if some idiot could define how nature operates, within the universal language (math) and it be fact, then nature, the god(s), the garden, pretty much the whole of the universe, could be defined and it be grounded to the the last word; the name of god (math defining the process of nature)

and it sure aint yhwh.

here's a theological rendition:

rev 22:4 and they shall see His face, and His name [is] upon their foreheads

basically a conscious life, unfolds what is real.

that is what the whole of all three of the religions of abraham are awaiting.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I was taught that no one knows the name of god, and all the names are "human things" so you could say "dude" and as long as people know it's meaning "god" it's the same. All the names are just people picking something new to use (as I was taught).

Why they said this is fairly simple, I was taught that if anyone said the name of god, the entire universe would unravel as his name gives people power of god, but only the power to destroy. So if god's name was "rabzibbit" and I typed that and tried to see if it was a odd sound--it would've ended the universe and no one would have ever seen this or known (and apparently it destroys heaven and hell too). Basically, the name of "god" in the bible is a lie.... but everything else is literal and truthful--as per what I was told.
29-08-2012, 08:43 PM
(29-08-2012 08:18 PM)elemts Wrote:  I was taught that no one knows the name of god, and all the names are "human things" so you could say "dude" and as long as people know it's meaning "god" it's the same. All the names are just people picking something new to use (as I was taught).

Why they said this is fairly simple, I was taught that if anyone said the name of god, the entire universe would unravel as his name gives people power of god, but only the power to destroy. So if god's name was "rabzibbit" and I typed that and tried to see if it was a odd sound--it would've ended the universe and no one would have ever seen this or known (and apparently it destroys heaven and hell too). Basically, the name of "god" in the bible is a lie.... but everything else is literal and truthful--as per what I was told.

Exactly. On some level they got that in naming a god, it also gave them power over it, and defines it. When theists/deists say their god is "personal", "personhood" automatically limits it to a human concept, ( a person, has a personality, and not another personality), and negates the infinite nature. ANY definition, (by definition), is limiting. So ever if one was a belieber, ANY descriptor, is out, as it's limiting.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-08-2012, 08:47 PM
(29-08-2012 08:18 PM)elemts Wrote:  I was taught that no one knows the name of god, and all the names are "human things" so you could say "dude" and as long as people know it's meaning "god" it's the same. All the names are just people picking something new to use (as I was taught).

To what you were taught, I think there is a tradition in Judaism that believes there is a true name of God that if uttered would basically do as you described. I think it was supposedly only passed down to the high priests but eventually was lost when the Temple was destroyed just like the Ark of the covenant.

As far as Jehova goes, I was told by a Jehova's witness it was the true name of God and they knew that to be true. I'm still confused on why God's true name wouldn't be reveled until his name from the language of his chosen people was translated into Latin and had vowel points added.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
29-08-2012, 09:03 PM
A bit more info to supplement Bucky's excellent post:

(28-08-2012 06:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The first time the name is used in the bible is Genesis 2:4. BUT, the books of the Bible were NOT written in the order we have them today. So the naming of the god in Job is important, and I don't have that information, in terms of translational texts. I'd have to look that up, and see what they called that god. I don't remember.

Job uses at least 5 different Hebrew words to refer to God, sometimes using more than one in the same verse. For example:

Elohim -- 1:1, 1:5, 1:6, 5:8, . . .
YHWH -- 1:6, 1:7, 1:8, . . .
Eloh -- 3:4, 3:23, . . .
El -- 5:8, 9:2, . . .
Shaddai -- 5:17, 22:3, . . . (usually translated "Almighty")

In Orthodox Jewish synagogues, where almost all prayer is in Hebrew, the Tetragrammaton YHWH ( יהוה ) is never pronounced Yahweh--that would throw people into a fit. (YHWH is way too holy to be pronounced as it's written--and besides, they would argue, no one really knows what the correct vowels are anyway.) Instead, the word "Adonai" (Lord) is substituted during prayer. In non-prayer contexts, religious Jews go another step down, substituting "Hashem," which literally means "the name."

"Jehovah" is a nothing more than a mistake. It came about through a misunderstanding of Hebrew manuscript conventions. When the Massoretes added vowel points to the consonantal Hebrew text, they added the vowel points for Adonai to the Tetragrammaton, to warn people not to try to pronounce the word as it's written but to substitute Adonai. When you try to read YHWH with the vowel points of Adonai, however, you get Yehowah or Jehovah. I wonder how many JWs acknowledge that the name of their religion is based on a goof!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 5 users Like cufflink's post
29-08-2012, 09:09 PM
What/who is Yahweh?
Bowing

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
29-08-2012, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2012 09:50 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-08-2012 09:03 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I wonder how many JWs acknowledge that the name of their religion is based on a goof!

Actually ALL of Christianity is built on an historical goof, IMO.
I know I'm a broken record on this, but the garden myth was directly taken from the Sumerian Choas myth, ( Marduk/Tiamet ), and the emphasis has always been seen as disobedience by apple ingestion. The actual original intent/meaning of the Genesis myth was about the Human Condition, and "encompassing opposites", (attempting to "eat of the Tree" of Knowledge of opposites), (ie hold or experience BOTH in one being). That got changed much much later, and morphed into "salvation", from disobedience. I still think the original insight was remarkable, for people of that day. Too bad the whole thing got so fucked up.
Another historical "goof" is the fact that JPI was about to change the Roman Church's birth control stance.
The papers doing so were on his desk, the night he died.
They disappeared.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-08-2012, 10:47 PM
You'll get the occasional Jehovah's Witness who will say Yahweh instead of Jehovah (and you'll hear it in passing no matter what), but it's definitely not common. From what I can gather, most of them don't have any clue at all that the name they call their god is a goof, and those who do know it don't much care because they're creatures of habit and have been calling him Jehovah so long they don't want to train themselves to say something different. But, really, most just have no idea. They just do whatever the elders and the governing body tell them they're supposed to do.
[+] 3 users Like SlipStitch's post
30-08-2012, 06:23 AM
(29-08-2012 09:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 09:03 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I wonder how many JWs acknowledge that the name of their religion is based on a goof!

Actually ALL of Christianity is built on an historical goof, IMO.
the mazda?

Quote:I know I'm a broken record on this, but the garden myth was directly taken from the Sumerian Choas myth, ( Marduk/Tiamet ), and the emphasis has always been seen as disobedience by apple ingestion. The actual original intent/meaning of the Genesis myth was about the Human Condition, and "encompassing opposites", (attempting to "eat of the Tree" of Knowledge of opposites), (ie hold or experience BOTH in one being). That got changed much much later, and morphed into "salvation", from disobedience. I still think the original insight was remarkable, for people of that day. Too bad the whole thing got so fucked up.
Another historical "goof" is the fact that JPI was about to change the Roman Church's birth control stance.
The papers doing so were on his desk, the night he died.
They disappeared.

funny....

A life, made a choice. That's the whole of the metaphor. ie.... the conscious experience of 'choice' was born. And of course, women first (the empathy of child brith).

the whole story is screw up but it sure aint about the poles of good and bad,

fricken hilarious!

It is best likened to the day, the instinctive living, made a choice. (the conscious first)

IMO
30-08-2012, 06:26 AM
(29-08-2012 10:47 PM)SlipStitch Wrote:  You'll get the occasional Jehovah's Witness who will say Yahweh instead of Jehovah (and you'll hear it in passing no matter what), but it's definitely not common. From what I can gather, most of them don't have any clue at all that the name they call their god is a goof, and those who do know it don't much care because they're creatures of habit and have been calling him Jehovah so long they don't want to train themselves to say something different. But, really, most just have no idea. They just do whatever the elders and the governing body tell them they're supposed to do.

almost perfect.

Naming god, defines 'it'.

kind of like calling someone a prick.

but NATURE itself (the whole of the universe), as our sustainer (god) is the biggest naming quest of all mankind!

"IT, does it all!"

and we are a part of IT, naturally of course!