What will be the point of discussing God's existence if he actually doesn't exit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 12:54 PM
What will be the point of discussing God's existence if he actually doesn't exit
I keep seeing debates on God's existence, and always wonder, in a situation where God doesn't actually exist, it will make everything kind of pointless, because that will mean at the point of our death we will all be deleted from existence, making all our questions about the walking of life after death pointless, I believe that existence Will only matter to those who existed, which wouldn't matter still because they exist no more. And with this reasoning I have come to the conclusion that debate on God's existence will only have true merit if he actually does exist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 12:57 PM
RE: What will be the point of discussing God's existence if he actually doesn't exit
Disagree entirely - if religion cannot prove his/her/their existence then why should it wield such power over people?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like CiderThinker's post
10-09-2014, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 01:18 PM by doctorstrange247.)
RE: What will be the point of discussing God's existence if he actually doesn't exit
I also believe that religion's grip on what people perceive as reality is an injustice in itself, but I do not see belief In God as a religious thing but merely a way to explain a beginning, no matter what a person chooses to accept as reality it most always have a foundation if not it will fall apart, belief in God is merely a ground zero, for how else can you explain the order in the chaos called the universe
10-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Re: What will be the point of discussing God's existence if he actually doesn't exit
The point is to lessen the grips of religion on the minds of many, because it can dangerously harm lives and the world for human life.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
10-09-2014, 01:20 PM
(10-09-2014 01:15 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  I also believe that religion's grip on what people perceive as reality is an injustice in itself, but I do not see belief In God as a religious thing but many a way to explain a beginning, no matter what a person chooses to accept as reality it most always have a foundation if not it will fall apart, belief in God is merely a ground zero, for how else can you explain the order in the chaos called the universe

Ground zero is not believing, it is afterall, how we all were born.
'I don't know why' does not mean god did it. It simply means you don't know.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
10-09-2014, 01:21 PM
That would better be achieved by tackling religion and the attributes the different theist beliefs have given to God and not by tackling God himself
10-09-2014, 01:24 PM
(10-09-2014 12:54 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  I keep seeing debates on God's existence, and always wonder, in a situation where God doesn't actually exist, it will make everything kind of pointless,

Only if you're a nihilist. Life gives life meaning. The existence of another life form doesn't make life any more meaningful than the non-existence of that life form. That's what we call a non-sequitur.

(10-09-2014 12:54 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  because that will mean at the point of our death we will all be deleted from existence,

And your point is...? Is a sand castle/sculpture any less meaningful because it will eventually disappear? Is the Mona Lisa meaningless because it will fade away with time? Are the pyramids meaningless because they will eventually erode into nothingness?

(10-09-2014 12:54 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  making all our questions about the walking of life after death pointless,

If there were life after death, we'd need to redefine either "life" or "death". You can't have life after death any more than you can have death before life. It makes no sense.

(10-09-2014 12:54 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  I believe that existence Will only matter to those who existed, which wouldn't matter still because they exist no more.

This makes no sense.

(10-09-2014 12:54 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  And with this reasoning I have come to the conclusion that debate on God's existence will only have true merit if he actually does exist.

Ah, the old "atheists discuss God (sic) so much that it's actually proof of his existence". I assume that the god you speak of is your particular god, right? Not the Muslim god, or the Mormon god, or any of the polytheistic religions' gods, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or anything like that. Because that'd just be silly!

Tell me, would you not debate people who believed the Earth was flat if they were the majority and wanted to pass off their beliefs as science? Do you not get outraged by murderers who feel that they're doing the right thing by killing babies or whatever? Does that mean they're right? No. It doesn't.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
10-09-2014, 01:26 PM
(10-09-2014 01:21 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  That would better be achieved by tackling religion and the attributes the different theist beliefs have given to God and not by tackling God himself

...So, basically, what we've been doing?
You can't tackle a non-existent being. You'd be trying to tackle a perfect vacuum.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
10-09-2014, 01:26 PM
I actually kind of agree but not entirely. I see the discussion of a god - any god - to be mostly a moot point unless discussing the particulars of whatever is going on in his/her fictional world. For me, it's the same as discussing Star Trek; I know it's all fiction so, the point of discussion is the exchange of ideas within the context of that fictional world and how it might relate to existence in general.

It's funny how nearly everyone can discuss Zeus & Hera or Jupiter & Juno and religious people don't get all fucked up about it. They seem to have no idea that people just like them once believed in the existence of Zeus & Jupiter, just as much as they believe in their current god... whichever one it might be. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-09-2014, 01:46 PM
I mean the point of existing is seen only by those who exist but if truly existence will eventually lead to non existences then the point seen by those who existed wouldn't matter, because "matter" is an existing concept
For if it is true that God doesn't exist wouldn't it mean we get wiped out of existence at the point of death