What will be the point of discussing God's existence if he actually doesn't exit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 04:34 PM
RE: What will be the point of discussing God's existence if he actually doesn't exit
(10-09-2014 04:21 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  can life give meaning to itself?

Yes.
The "meaning of life" is whatever meaning you give it.

The only enlightenment one finds on a mountaintop, is what one brings with them. Probably some saying - don't know. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-09-2014, 04:39 PM
RE: What will be the point of discussing God's existence if he actually doesn't exit
As a gnostic atheist...I think it's an interesting OP. But, just because it is a lie, doesn't mean discussing it is meaningless. When a lie causes conflict, death, division, and impacts people's lives and emotions on a large scale...I'd say it's worth discussing.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
10-09-2014, 04:39 PM
(10-09-2014 04:25 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 04:21 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  can life give meaning to itself?

Yes. In fact, only life can give meaning to life.

isnt that kind of like a causal loop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2014, 04:45 PM
(10-09-2014 04:39 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 04:25 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Yes. In fact, only life can give meaning to life.

...I take it English is not your first language. Either that or you subscribe to "woo" and are just tossing around words without understanding what they mean.

Life arose. Life became sentient. Life gave life meaning. This is no different than life making life (reproduction or cloning). There's no "loop".
A "causal loop" would have been if life had given life meaning so that life could give life meaning, or if life had given life meaning so that life could have arisen. Neither of these scenarios are true or even logical.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
10-09-2014, 04:50 PM
(10-09-2014 04:25 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Yes. In fact, only life can give meaning to life.

Not at all.

#sigh
10-09-2014, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 04:57 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-09-2014 04:20 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 03:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It is if your brain is programmed to think "reward" (doggy treat) is all that matters.

so you belive we are basically animals acting on instinct

Homo sapiens are sentient beings. There is no "wall" between homo sapiens, and other primates. We share 99 + % DNA. There is no evidence for "souls", or any other woo-woo. Humans learn many things. Homo sapiens do not operate on only "instinct". They LEARN values, just as you did. They do not come from the gods.

The woo is strong in this padawan.
Indoctrinated, he is.
[Image: 20070922160736!AniPadawan.jpg]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Hello! Welcome to the forum (Sorry if I missed your introductory post in the greetings thread Smile )

So! The whole 'When you die you don't get anything, there fore nothing is worth any thing." Argument, yes?

An example. I am alive. The posters on this forum are alive.

Now, I'm betting, most posters on the forum would have a Grandparent who is not alive?

(Holds minutes silence in loving memory of those people they have known.)

The one thing I note in your ( doctorstrange247 ) posts is the whole "Wiped from existence" idea.

This does not happen. You, your conscience fades to a permanent black but , as 'One above all' and 'Cider Thinker' have pointed out (If others have also I apologize for missing you) REALITY continues regardless of you, me or any one's whims.

Until noting your post, you did not exist to me. Until you read this post? I have not existed to you.
Note I am NOT saying that we don't exist, just our knowledge is limited.

What we have after our passing is the memories left behind in the thoughts of those who knew us and the things we've shaped, touched, created etc. Upon our death the things/people we've interacted with don't just disappear (That would be strange) and so 'something' of us lingers in the world.

Now, as a pessimistic acquaintance of mine noted, the memory of most people only lingers on in the generation that follows them. Those of great fame or infamy? The impact of their actions will last down through 'history' much longer.

Sorry for a ramble, just waking to greet a new day and the muse has struck.

Much cheers to all.
10-09-2014, 05:11 PM
(10-09-2014 05:00 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello! Welcome to the forum (Sorry if I missed your introductory post in the greetings thread Smile )

So! The whole 'When you die you don't get anything, there fore nothing is worth any thing." Argument, yes?

An example. I am alive. The posters on this forum are alive.

Now, I'm betting, most posters on the forum would have a Grandparent who is not alive?

(Holds minutes silence in loving memory of those people they have known.)

The one thing I note in your ( doctorstrange247 ) posts is the whole "Wiped from existence" idea.

This does not happen. You, your conscience fades to a permanent black but , as 'One above all' and 'Cider Thinker' have pointed out (If others have also I apologize for missing you) REALITY continues regardless of you, me or any one's whims.

Until noting your post, you did not exist to me. Until you read this post? I have not existed to you.
Note I am NOT saying that we don't exist, just our knowledge is limited.

What we have after our passing is the memories left behind in the thoughts of those who knew us and the things we've shaped, touched, created etc. Upon our death the things/people we've interacted with don't just disappear (That would be strange) and so 'something' of us lingers in the world.

Now, as a pessimistic acquaintance of mine noted, the memory of most people only lingers on in the generation that follows them. Those of great fame or infamy? The impact of their actions will last down through 'history' much longer.

Sorry for a ramble, just waking to greet a new day and the muse has struck.

Much cheers to all.

science has predicted that in about 5billion years from now the earth will crash into the sun,what do you think will be the point of our achivement and general existence then,because if truely we get wiped out of existence wouldn't that make life inevitably a road to nowhere.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2014, 05:14 PM
(10-09-2014 05:11 PM)doctorstrange247 Wrote:  science has predicted that in about 5billion years from now the earth will crash into the sun,what do you think will be the point of our achivement and general existence then,because if truely we get wiped out of existence wouldn't that make life inevitably a road to nowhere.

Meaning is transitory, fleeting, subjective and completely artificial. That's the beauty of it.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-09-2014, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 05:19 PM by ClydeLee.)

Again, so what? You keep just making short little statements that sound like the mean something but don't. You've not gotten to any point as to so what, and why would it matter that I cease to exist in relation to anything?

All life will eventually die it, it seems as the way we understand the universe right now... Okay so what? So I deem that live is worthy to live while we have it, and I desire people around me and after I'm gone to have a quality life too, better than even the one I am capable of having.

Edit: After seeing the post after this one, I'm gonna put you in the troll category.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson