What will it take?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2011, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2011 09:47 AM by Snuff.)
What will it take?
What do you think will be necessary to replace the congress we have in the United States? I understand people have their opinions that it's late but I still see expensive restaurants with a parking lot full of cars, malls jammed pack, hundreds buying flat screen tvs and what not, but we are on the road to failing.

I think we need more logical thinkers in office and although I like Obama I'd rather an Atheist be president for 2012 than anything especially after the anti gay ad by Perry.

No one seems to understand that it's more of the congress than the president, the President is more of a congress puppet. I think terms should be limited for congress.

The fish who keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Snuff's post
18-12-2011, 10:11 AM
RE: What will it take?
I have no idea about replacing the US congress because I'm in Europe.

However, in an ill economy overspending is not a good sign.

The 1% are not representative. The fact that they are able and willing to spend thousands for dinner in a fancy place says nothing about the majority of the population.

The 99% overspend for 2 reasons:

1. If I don't buy this expensive crap now, I may not have the opportunity later
2. Look at me, I can still pay for overpriced items that I don't really need. That means we're still allright, doesn't it? DOESN'T IT...?

If you take a good look at Europe right now, that's exactly what they did (I say "they" because I am personally loan-free). They overspent and buried themselves in loans exceeding their own income and the income of generations to come and now the Euro currency is under questioning and many countries with a strong economy wonder whether it makes sense to keep it in the future.

Spending the money you don't have for things you don't need is scary, not comforting. Right before they go bankrupt, businessmen have a typical behavior which signals and accelerates their collapse: They buy boats, planes, fast cars and long luxury trips like there's no tomorrow, they gamble, start taking drugs and leave their wife for a much younger woman. One or more or the above is generally seen as a sign that it's time to sell those shares and fast.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 2 users Like Malleus's post
18-12-2011, 06:50 PM
(18-12-2011 08:28 AM)Snuff Wrote:  What do you think will be necessary to replace the congress we have in the United States?

Attrition. The bulk of the deluded are just about ready to meet their maker. My kids' generation is not atheist, it's areligious. That's even better, Godblessem.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Quote: Snuff:
What do you think will be necessary to replace the congress we have in the United States?

System failure. Governments unable to pass any legislation because of deadlock, budget constraint, policy commitment or terminal incompetence; unable to put any decisions into effect because they had fired the civil servants and uniformed minions who do the actual work; unable to meet their obligations to financial backers.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
18-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I think you're making several false assumptions here. One is that consumerism will undo the country. Do you think this is recent? Obviously this happens every years around Christmas, so it shouldn't surprise you that it feels like Americans are overspending... they do it every year at this time. But even if Americans spent too much, you know where the money goes? In the case of American businesses, increases in revenue usually means increases in employment. It goes from some Americans to other Americans, and obviously that doesn't make our country any poorer.

But a bigger mistake is that congress has anything to do with American spending. How do representatives and senators contribute to this problem? What can they do to prevent it?

The third mistake is your assumption that the president is just a puppet. He votes, just like the house and senate do, except his vote is worth a lot more. His say isn't final, of course (he can be overruled with a 2/3 majority) but it's certainly the most important, especially since his position also means his words and speeches are extremely influential.

But as powerful as he is, he doesn't make the laws. While I'm annoyed at having one Christian president after another, I don't worry about this country becoming a theocracy. The US's religious laws are usually decided in court, which means that the Supreme Court justices are more important than congress or the president where US religious freedom is concerned.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2011, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2011 09:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-12-2011 07:55 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
What do you think will be necessary to replace the congress we have in the United States?

System failure. Governments unable to pass any legislation because of deadlock, budget constraint, policy commitment or terminal incompetence; unable to put any decisions into effect because they had fired the civil servants and uniformed minions who do the actual work; unable to meet their obligations to financial backers.

Very nice, Peterkin, but I guess we're going to have to wait and see whether that condition proves sufficient.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-12-2011, 10:56 PM
(18-12-2011 08:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-12-2011 07:55 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  

Very nice, Peterkin, but I guess we're going to have to wait and see whether that condition proves sufficient.

Oh, I thought he misunderstood the question and was describing the current state of affairs.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2011, 11:10 PM
The current state of affairs may limp along a while longer without actually falling down. Maybe years (- - - unless the child-slave-owner becomes president, in which case, all bets are off) with the collusion of media keeping the real situation secret; business and banks continuing to rake in profit from a dwindling number of chronic debtors; overseas entanglements, both financial and military, bleeding the GDP, while FUX blames the swelling numbers of poor instead; citizens refusing to see the 7' tall multi-coloured writing on the wall.

Will the breakdown be sufficient to cause change? Yes. To cause positive change? Tough call, but i'm guessing no.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.