05-09-2015, 04:52 AM
RE: What wine type do priests use?
[Image: rossi-jug.jpg]

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Methodists use <gag> grape juice. WCTU and all that.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
05-09-2015, 07:33 AM
I thought it was Mogen David or Manischewitz. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-09-2015, 08:12 AM
I was once at a Protestant church (why I was there is a long story I won't go into) when they passed around communion. I simply passed the tray along without taking any. A very nice elderly lady said to me, "At our church, everyone is welcome to take communion." Apparently she recognized that I was not a member, and thought I was declining communion out of a mistaken belief that non-members weren't allowed to, which I guess is the case with Catholics. I replied, "Thank you, but I'm a vegetarian." Her reply to that was, "We use grape juice."

I guess she thought that vegetarians don't drink wine.

Now I'm well aware of the distinction between the doctrines of transubstantiation and that of consubstantiation, and that Protestants don't believe the wafer actually becomes human flesh. And I think both are total bullshit, like everything else about religion. But the idea of even symbolically eating meat, much less human flesh, and drinking human blood, is pretty disgusting to me. I said nothing of this because I was not there to make a stink. I just politely passed the trays along when they came my way. But I've always found it amusing that this very sweet lady replied to my vegetarian excuse with "We use grape juice."

An entirely different matter is that as a former alcoholic, I don't drink alcohol. I do drink grape juice, but not when people are pretending that it's symbolic of human blood.

Actually, I like grape juice. I like it as much as orange juice.

I have no idea what kind of wine Catholic priests use. I would suppose whatever cheap table wine is most easily available. In Spain you can get perfectly serviceable table wine for about a dollar a liter, in those tetra-brick boxes that milk sometimes comes in.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
05-09-2015, 08:20 AM
I always thought it was "You never take me to the Vatican"...

Whiny fucks...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-09-2015, 09:57 AM
(05-09-2015 06:56 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Methodists use <gag> grape juice. WCTU and all that.

Baptists do, too. In teeny plastic cups. And little cubes of stale white bread for the body.

When I was Episcopalian, in college, it was a very dry, very cheap white wine. Much better wine was available at the priest's house, where we ate lunch after mass on Sundays.
05-09-2015, 02:34 PM
I don't know the brand but I can remember the flavor. It had a dry fruity flavor much like grape juice but it had that alcohol burn. I would ether skip it or use it just to chase the dry tasteless cracker down.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
05-09-2015, 02:41 PM
I would have to contact an old school friend to see if he knew from his altar boy days.

We sure didn't get wine...just that thin layer of Styrofoam that would stick to the roof of your mouth and make you gag. And you were just supposed to deal with it. Can't chew or use your tongue or a finger to get that crap off your palate. A shot of wine may have helped swallow that nasty wafer of the body of Christ.

Another reason I don't miss the whole Catholic thing. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-09-2015, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 08:50 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
What wine type do priests use?
My uncle bought my immediate family a bag of "non-blessed" communions and we had a good 20 of them haha. They're not that good but it was funny chowing down on communion wafers. There were prob 200 to a bag. Ironically, my uncles a believer ...but he's very liberal about it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004J0DEX2...ref=plSrch

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
05-09-2015, 09:05 PM
(05-09-2015 06:56 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Methodists use <gag> grape juice. WCTU and all that.

The hoity toity Presbyterian place near us has both grape juice and wine. They pass it around in these little tiny "mint julep" silver thingies in a tray.
No germ sharing for these people. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.