What wine type do priests use?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2015, 05:45 AM
RE: What wine type do priests use?
(04-09-2015 09:48 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Just wondering, what type of wine do priests use at mass? Is there a specific type, or brand? Do they just pick up anything Binny's alcohol depot, or is there a certain type that works best for absorbing the Holy Spirit? Lol

My understanding is, this is up to the church to decide.

I used to be an elder at a Lutheran church. We used Manischewitz, which happens to be a kosher Jewish wine. It's also made from cherries and is ridiculously sweet. I asked my pastor if there was a reason we used kosher wine. He said it was chosen solely because it's so sweet, and the kids are less likely to make a stupid face or spit it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2015, 11:52 AM
I was actually a lector for a Catholic church in the not too distant past, so I have firsthand experience here. That particular church always used red wine, and it was Franzia "wine in a box" that they used. I'm not a wine connoiseur, but I believe that is a fairly low-end wine.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
14-09-2015, 12:25 PM
(04-09-2015 09:48 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Just wondering, what type of wine do priests use at mass? Is there a specific type, or brand? Do they just pick up anything Binny's alcohol depot, or is there a certain type that works best for absorbing the Holy Spirit? Lol

I would assume the younger the vintage the better. Angel

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
14-09-2015, 02:51 PM
I dropped a communion wafer once...I kinda worried about it then but now it's funny. I thought they were supposed to do some kind of elaborate burning but I picked it up and ate it and no one said anything. As an ex-catholic I find the literal body and blood thing extremely morbid. Why is genesis a metaphor but eating jesus is for real? bleh

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow